DLR Challenge- Record smashed!

Let us know about your latest FULL NETWORK CHALLENGE efforts
Starkey7
All Zones

Post by Starkey7 »

Good grief, I think that First Mate 43019 has got a fair point! Avast! Shiver my timbers! Pass the grog! Splice the mainbrace! Walk the plank! Jim lad! Arrr [sic]!

I'm not sure I'm cut out to be a pirate actually.
tubeguru
Site Administrator

Post by tubeguru »

Yeah, I'm getting bored of the pirate talk now - I started flagging earlier today.
One thing only do I know, and that is that I know nothing - Socrates.

Champion of bugger all, 2004 to 2022
Member of sweet FA
Starkey7
All Zones

Post by Starkey7 »

Just another seventy-two minutes and all our shipmates will be happy, TG. And then I'm sure that tangy will regale us with a detailed account of his DLR triumph. Alternatively of course, I could always tell you a bit about my aunt's friend's XBox, if you like.

Edit: Actually TG, you started it! By the way, this I believe is the 11,000th post of this forum, so do I win anything?
tubeguru
Site Administrator

Post by tubeguru »

Erm, no ... sorry.

There are no prizes.

Anyway, Soup Dragon started it! Pah - what's the world coming to?

Member of sweet FA
londongirl
Zone 3

Post by londongirl »

43019 wrote:Yo ho ho and a bottle of JD, I have proof to declare I be right:

"Posted: Tue Sep 19, 2006 02:35"

By me reckoning, that be Tuesday, as be any time after midnight. Yarr.

Cap'n Julian has spoken. Walk da plank!
Yes but I was rather unaware at that point it would be as strictly enforced! Meanie! Next time I see you I shall give you an evil look. You can't make me walk a plank, I might drown!
Soup Dragon
The Twilight Zone

Post by Soup Dragon »

Ahoy, can't we keep it goin' all week,
what say you Cap'n Guru? Yarrr?
tubeguru
Site Administrator

Post by tubeguru »

No - you can keep going if you like, but I think everyone will tire of it eventually.

Member of sweet FA
Soup Dragon
The Twilight Zone

Post by Soup Dragon »

Damn you Cap'n Guru...
Still only another 364 days to go and we can do it all over again. :D
Zone 2

Post by 43019 »

londongirl wrote:
43019 wrote:Yo ho ho and a bottle of JD, I have proof to declare I be right:

"Posted: Tue Sep 19, 2006 02:35"

By me reckoning, that be Tuesday, as be any time after midnight. Yarr.

Cap'n Julian has spoken. Walk da plank!
Yes but I was rather unaware at that point it would be as strictly enforced! Meanie! Next time I see you I shall give you an evil look. You can't make me walk a plank, I might drown!
Arr, I be a bit pedantic sometimes! Arr...

OK, that's enough of that! Next year I might have some better pirate talk in me!

Give me 'the look' eh? I'd better avert my gaze then...Every time a man gets the look, a little piece of every man dies...

(OK, maybe, just maybe I recall that line from Home Improvement too welll)
Unofficial Z1 challenge, 15th September 2006, 1400 start - Result? 3h29m34s. Disgusting! I want a re-run!
Steeevooo
All Zones

Post by Steeevooo »

A bit belated, but congratulations Tangy!
tangy
Site Administrator

Post by tangy »

I know you are all eager to know what happened on my attempt:

Since I did a Shadwell start/Lewisham finish on my last attempt, I thought I would reverse that route and thus start at Lewisham this time around.

Since the fastest way to Lewisham from East London is via the DLR from Stratford, we found myself on the same train out of Lewisham as on the way in! However, upon departure at Lewisham, my team had to restart the stopwatch as the conductor re-opened the doors for stragglers!

Back at Stratford ran down to the Jubilee platforms, a modest two minute wait for a train. Bailed out at Canning Town only to find an eastbound DLR train sitting in the platform ready to depart, lovely! Didn't care where it was going, we just jumped on. It soon transpired that it was a King George V train.

On our way to King George V, I noted no less than THREE 474 buses jockeying for position on the road below, so would of been very unlikely not to be on one. Upon alighting at KGV, we noted one of the 474 buses just turning into the ferry terminal, so we ran down the side street to the next stop round the corner.

It duly came back out of the ferry terminal and on we hopped. However a couple of bus stops short of Beckton, a car decided to park so close to a traffic island that the bus couldn't get past, despite much honking (the driver was still in the car) the car only moved when the bus driver turned the engine off! This resulted in an 8 minute wait at Beckton.

This wait at Beckton gave my team some time to debate about doubling back out of Tower and thus ending at Bank, rather than running to Bank and finishing at Shadwell. We decided that the former was a better plan, so we amended our finishing point.

This change of plan actaully worked very well, despite just missing a Bank train at Shadwell and thus waiting 3 minutes for the next. Ended at Bank with the DLR Challenge record in our hands!
Adjudicator of the Alternative Challenges and webmaster of the Tube Challenge "Top Times" website at www.explorerticket.co.uk/tubechallenge

This is a Central line train to "Woodford via Hainault"- sadly, not no more!

Tangy.
Bunker65
Zone 1

Post by Bunker65 »

I claim second place! :D

Having done an unofficial solo run of this challenge today, starting in Lewisham and ending in bank just like Tangy's. Except i finished with a record of 1:55:21.
This station is Bank. Change here for Docklands Light Railway, Waterloo and City, Circle, Central and District line. This train terminates at Colindale. 'Dis Trains abart ta depart! Mind da Closin' doors'