Look what turned up in the post today....

Let us know about your latest FULL NETWORK CHALLENGE efforts
Starkey7
All Zones

Post by Starkey7 »

Well, I wonder why my team mates think about this...?
Going Underground
The Twilight Zone

Post by Going Underground »

Starkey7 wrote:Well, I wonder why my team mates think about this...?
Your team mates are in agreement with the 4 reasons and happy with our route and planning so far... We have 2 months to go through the finer details, like tackling the "middle bit"....
But hey these are "mere details" young Starkey... :wink:
Twice former full network GWR holder and former Zone 1 Olympic and World Record holder with The Raven and Soupie
Tube personality of the year 2009
Twice Winter Olympic Biathlon Gold Medalist with The Beer Baron
2008 All Lines Olympic Gold
hwolge
Zone 6

Post by hwolge »

Starkey7 wrote:4: Shoreditch is a pain in the neck.
Sorry do differ. I think Shoreditch adds an interesting dimension to route planning - even though I don't particularly enjoy having to use a replacement bus!
:) Three times Zone 1 Challenge winner :)
:) Official record holder in the 2008 Guinness Book of Records, pg 199 :)
dr_chris
Zone 3

Post by dr_chris »

moley wrote:So Tubeguru.

How would you feel if I used the routes for Tube 7 or Tube 8.

<disclaimer>
I'm not going to...
</disclaimer>

.... yet
:D
Slightly different concept though... hypothetically suppose you had done two or three full attempts with Geoff and/or Neil, not test runs, not as a support team member - as a full team member in pursuit of the GWR, before they got their record... and then they went and used the SAME route to claim the record on their own. Would you be justified in using that route - I think you would! Especially if you'd put in your own leg-work to developing the details of the route, finding timings and working out the logistics of it. It's not really 'pinching' their route the way I see it... i've got just as much right to use it as Sam and Steve...
Steeevooo
All Zones

Post by Steeevooo »

dr_chris wrote: and then they went and used the SAME route to claim the record on their own.
Chris...

Who's idea was it to do the ultimately successful challenge attempt? Yup, that's right...mine. I asked both yourself and Sam at the same time as to whether you would be up for completing the challenge with me, as I had the intention of going for it again.
Therefore, as I was the one that had the idea of actually doing this challenge, don't you think that I am justified in using the SAME route (ie. the route that I devised)?

Steve
dr_chris
Zone 3

Post by dr_chris »

I think you've failed to read properly what i've written.

I'm not disputing your right to use your own route... but it hardly seems fair that we did that route twice together, and then I can't do an attempt (no fault of my own), you happen to break the record... and then claim it's not fair for me to go and try and break the record myself using that route again - especially when i've given the both of you a clear option to join me if you wish!
geofftech
All Zones

Post by geofftech »

I love a good spat in public.

You should have agreed on "route confidentiality" and its usage for future attempts early on, before you first had a crack.

As for not using using someone else's route Neil? Er ... pass me that black pot/kettle combination from your stove over there, will you? Ta.

[edit from Neil]: That comment is irrelevant as I am no longer joining anyone for another world record attempt. Ta.

And no, I'm not coming over from the 'states to sit on trains again for the best part of 19 hours. I'm getting far too old and sensible for this sort of lark nowadays. Maybe.
Starkey7
All Zones

Post by Starkey7 »

hwolge wrote:Sorry do differ. I think Shoreditch adds an interesting dimension to route planning - even though I don't particularly enjoy having to use a replacement bus!

Hmm. I see what you mean. I think that our team would be up for it if we could go there by Tube. I've got no qualms about fitting Roding Valley, Chigwell and Grange Hill in before 8pm for example, but the fact that the whole Shoreditch thing is just a ride on a glorified bus service rather spoils it for me.

It would have been very interesting to tie Shoreditch (and its interesting opening hours) into a route ... if only the station were still open!

Hi Geoff, by the way! Not seen you for ages.
dr_chris
Zone 3

Post by dr_chris »

I dunno about 'route confidentiality'... I wouldn't be complaining if i'd just turned up for one attempt and acted as a supplies man but I haven't!
Sam
The Twilight Zone

Post by Sam »

Chris

The point is, earlier in this thread you have stated that YOU are going to attempt to break mine and Steves record using the same route that we did, only in the past couple of messages you have said that we *could* join you. At the end of the day, it is Steves route, he devised the WHOLE route so to say you are going out to break our record using his route is unfair. Should you wish to attempt the record on your own, you should devise your OWN route.
Overall, I just think you are bitter that you were not involved when we broke the record, you were asked to join us... it is not our faut you couldn't.

GET OVER IT

Sam
snudge27
All Zones

Post by snudge27 »

Hell... if you didn't want him to know your route, you shouldn't have invited him along.
The fact of the matter is that if he knows your route, who's going to stop him from using it?!
Fair play to the man I say!
Sam
The Twilight Zone

Post by Sam »

Look, I don't see what it has to do with you to be honest....

The point has been discussed as to why we do not want him to use our route!
snudge27
All Zones

Post by snudge27 »

Well if you don't want other people contributing their thoughts, would you please keep your arguments to yourselves rather than inviting the whole board to join in.

It's just common courtesy really...
Sam
The Twilight Zone

Post by Sam »

You chose to post in this thread, you didn't have to.....

Anyway, the whole point of this thread was to show that our record was official, it wasn't our fault it has gone off-topic! :roll:
tubeguru
Site Administrator

Post by tubeguru »

Do I really have to start acting like a moderator?

</hint>
One thing only do I know, and that is that I know nothing - Socrates.

Champion of bugger all, 2004 to 2022
Member of sweet FA