So now that someone else has got the record...

Let us know about your latest FULL NETWORK CHALLENGE efforts
geofftech
All Zones

So now that someone else has got the record...

Post by geofftech »

... (when Guinness confirm it, natch), then it's time to set my sights on something else, namely:

NEW YORK.

Now for me this is fairly 'easy'. It's a 90 minute local flight up the east coast from me, but the point is - I don't want to do it alone.

I have a route, maps, and a vague schedule, but I need someone who really is willing to come and do it with me, 'coz I ain't doing 24 hours on subway trains by myself!

This means .. getting on a plane and flying over, staying at least one night somewhere and then flying home again. Probably cost ya a little over £300.

So i'm seriously asking anyone in the UK ... would you come over and join Geoff make a bid for the New York Subway system - the only other metro system in the world that Guinness recognise, along with the London Underground.

Serious emails please (no timewasters! - ooh, i've always wanted to say that!) to my usual email address.

Oh, and I was thinking about October of this year.

The map is here: http://www.nycsubway.org/maps/route/

There are officially 468 stations.

It runs 24 hours a day meaning I estimate you can do the whole thing in a little over 24 hours. i.e. it's a true "all day" thing, and a tough slog.
Last edited by Anonymous on 03 Jun 2006, 01:52, edited 1 time in total.
tubeguru
Site Administrator

Post by tubeguru »

I am seriously considering this, and you are duty-bound to consider me as your first choice :-)
One thing only do I know, and that is that I know nothing - Socrates.

Champion of bugger all, 2004 to 2022
Member of sweet FA
Yorkie
Zone 3

Re: So now that someone else has got the record...

Post by Yorkie »

geofftech wrote:There are officially 468 stations.
Don't use the unofficial ones that w******m talked about. What's the current record to beat?
What would I know? - I'm from Yorkshire for starters...
geofftech
All Zones

Post by geofftech »

Neil... i already did tell you first (this morning), and you weren't too sure on the idea. I've since had three emails from people who do sound quite sure! I don't need people going "oh, yeah! great idea!", and then not actually being able to go through with it. i need some commitment from people who really do want to do it!

of course, the more the merrier.. so if there were 4 of 5 of us, that would be great!
moley
Site Administrator

Post by moley »

Why October?
geofftech
All Zones

Post by geofftech »

as far as I am aware, there is NO current record. well, a couple of guys DID go round and do them in in 30+ hours, but they did it ALL by train. they didn't get off at the end of one line, and walk or bus to another end of the line .. oh no, they went ALL THE WAY back, and then up the other branch.

a bit like going to Stanmore, and then coming all the way back into zone 1 to connect up with the northern line and go all the way up to edgware.

i don't know why they did it that way .. they just did!

so anyway, any attempt which uses on foot/buses, is more than likely to do it quicker than they did, and thus "set" a record time - because i can't find one listed anywhere else on the internet.
geofftech
All Zones

Post by geofftech »

Why October?

because you wouldn't be ready to do it if I said "this weekend", would you! and after October it gets really cold. like REALLY cold! so no later than that.
moley
Site Administrator

Post by moley »

I know it gets cold - I was there playing on the Subway last December and January.
greatkingrat
All Zones

Post by greatkingrat »

So if there is no current record, what makes you think Guinness recognise it? It would be rather odd for them to have a record category that nobody has ever attempted.
hwolge
Zone 6

Post by hwolge »

I agree. As a foreigner it's always been quite obvious that the London Underground is THE UNDERGROUND system of the world, regardless of number of stations etc. I'd certainly be somewhat surprised if GWR were interested.

Out of interest - how do you intend to collect individual witness statements every hour? At gunpoint?
:) Three times Zone 1 Challenge winner :)
:) Official record holder in the 2008 Guinness Book of Records, pg 199 :)
Adham
Zone 4

Post by Adham »

Guinness don't actually have to recognise a specific record before it's done for the first time. People are encouraged to send in anything they think might be considered a record in the future. They already recognise the London record. If the New York one is done in a similar way and then submitted, I see no reason why they should not consider it.
geofftech
All Zones

Post by geofftech »

because when I spoke to someone at Guinness ages ago (whilst discussing the Paris Metro with them) they said that the only two that they 'recognised' were London and New York.

even if they didn't, I'd still do it!
regoarrarr
Zone 1

Post by regoarrarr »

Do we (you?) have a list of the official 468 stations? I couldn't seem to find a definitive list, and Wikipedia has 473 listed.
The Raven
All Zones

Post by The Raven »

Is it the same basic rules as the LU record: must keep a record book, must travel to every station, must give evidence you where there, etc
Go Pack Go!
One of the New York Six
Former holder of Zone One, Overground and DLR record
barrykas
Zone 4

Post by barrykas »

regoarrarr wrote:Do we (you?) have a list of the official 468 stations? I couldn't seem to find a definitive list, and Wikipedia has 473 listed.
The system map for the NYC Subway can be found here.

HTH,

Barry
--
Barry Salter, barry (at) southie (dot) me (dot) uk