Post Covid FNC

Let us know about your latest FULL NETWORK CHALLENGE efforts
trains 500
Zone 4

Re: Post Covid FNC

Post by trains 500 »

i cant see any point of doing a tube challenge before battersea opens partly due to corona and it seems silly if a record is set it wont last for long anyways. Olympia is so awkward now (unless open days which wont be going ahead for a few years due to corona) and i feel it is about time a totally new route is created eg an epping start or something new.
Last edited by trains 500 on 24 Oct 2020, 10:52, edited 1 time in total.
Lner station assist (dispatcher)

YT: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... x7lo4OqFpy
Quizzes for Tube Nerds
trains 500
Zone 4

Post by trains 500 »

your whole route relys on a olympia district
Last edited by trains 500 on 24 Oct 2020, 10:52, edited 1 time in total.

Quizzes for Tube Nerds
RJSRdg
All Zones

Post by RJSRdg »

jrparkin wrote: 23 Oct 2020, 17:49 Started my secondary route today. It's based on the WTT16 route but reversed and adapted for a Chesham start and Heathrow Terminal 5 finish as opposed to Kensington (Olympia) start and Chesham finish. Not sure how that could work but the original route was an FNC

Already there is one change I could incorporate into the primary route, that being bus transfer from Leyton to Walthamstow Central (which takes 22 minutes according to Google), as opposed to bus from Leytonstone to Leytonstone High Road then Overground to Blackhorse Road then Underground to Walthamstow Central
That bus route is a new one on me! There is a bus route from Leytonstone to Walthamstow Central but we did it on a Children in Need Run a few years ago and it is *very* slow!

Going up to Blackhorse Road and back is another new one as well - Walthamstow Queen's Road and Central are only about three minutes apart on foot, although that has got a little further since one of the entrances to the Underground was closed.
272 stations in 18:30:32
The only person to have used a boat in a Random 15 Challenge!
Lunaticonthegrass
Zone 4

Post by Lunaticonthegrass »

jrparkin wrote: 23 Oct 2020, 17:49 Already there is one change I could incorporate into the primary route, that being bus transfer from Leyton to Walthamstow Central (which takes 22 minutes according to Google), as opposed to bus from Leytonstone to Leytonstone High Road then Overground to Blackhorse Road then Underground to Walthamstow Central
I advise against the Leyton/Walthamstow bus. I did it on my FNC* and it took half an hour (including wait time) to get between the 2 stations. In 22 minutes, a lot of people would be able to run the 3.4km between Walthamstow and Snaresbrook - a far better place to connect.

*I had originally planned to run Walthamstow to Snaresbrook, but my challenge partner isn't the runner I am and wasn't so keen on the idea by 3pm. This is one reason why I need to do another FNC.
Full Network (270 stations) - 18:22:43
Parks - 7:57:23
Alphabet - 5:30:40
Roads, Streets and Lanes - 3:51:51
Zone 1 - 3:03:50 (Former record)
Bottle - 1:57:43
1 pint in 18 seconds
jrparkin
Zone 3

Post by jrparkin »

Sadly I'll think I'll be like your challenge partner. Not as good a runner or keen on it by the end of the day. At High School it took me 8 minutes or so to do 1.5k meaning I could probably do the run in the time but that was thirty years ago!
Former record holder; Repton 3 Oceans high score 36916
Sheffield Supertram: 3:17:29
London Underground (243 stations): 18:06:49
Vienna U Bahn (FNC): 5:04:47
jrparkin
Zone 3

Post by jrparkin »

RJSRdg wrote: 23 Oct 2020, 23:06 Going up to Blackhorse Road and back is another new one as well - Walthamstow Queen's Road and Central are only about three minutes apart on foot, although that has got a little further since one of the entrances to the Underground was closed.
I'm thinking I might go for this as it's an easier run
Former record holder; Repton 3 Oceans high score 36916
Sheffield Supertram: 3:17:29
London Underground (243 stations): 18:06:49
Vienna U Bahn (FNC): 5:04:47
trains 500
Zone 4

Post by trains 500 »

that bus route for me on a FNC is a no no in my opinion

Quizzes for Tube Nerds
trains 500
Zone 4

Post by trains 500 »

sorry to go off topic

i know that both paddingtons and both edgware roads have to be visited but do both hammersmiths have to be visited??

thanks

Quizzes for Tube Nerds
RJSRdg
All Zones

Post by RJSRdg »

Yes. They are two separate stations so both need to be visited.
nozzacook
All Zones

Post by nozzacook »

Lunaticonthegrass wrote: 24 Oct 2020, 21:13
jrparkin wrote: 23 Oct 2020, 17:49 Already there is one change I could incorporate into the primary route, that being bus transfer from Leyton to Walthamstow Central (which takes 22 minutes according to Google), as opposed to bus from Leytonstone to Leytonstone High Road then Overground to Blackhorse Road then Underground to Walthamstow Central
I advise against the Leyton/Walthamstow bus. I did it on my FNC* and it took half an hour (including wait time) to get between the 2 stations. In 22 minutes, a lot of people would be able to run the 3.4km between Walthamstow and Snaresbrook - a far better place to connect.

*I had originally planned to run Walthamstow to Snaresbrook, but my challenge partner isn't the runner I am and wasn't so keen on the idea by 3pm. This is one reason why I need to do another FNC.
Personally if running from Snaresbrook I’ve always timed it to tie up with trains at wood street. It takes on average 11-13 mins to run and a 3 min train journey. If you are looking to run to Walthamstow better to run from Leytonstone about 3k plus lots of buses that pass so chances of getting a bus even a few stops to reduce time. Average run time about 16-20mins depending on pace.
26 miles 385yards in 4h 14m 40s.
trains 500
Zone 4

Post by trains 500 »

And that 16-20 mins could be saved by not doing this run. It's too far even if a bus is used

Quizzes for Tube Nerds
trains 500
Zone 4

Post by trains 500 »

traffic etc

Quizzes for Tube Nerds
nozzacook
All Zones

Post by nozzacook »

As I said above a run from Snaresbrook is possible and ties in as a rule and I have made it work on several attempts. But this will depend on your running speed. At the end of the day you use a run if it’s quicker than a double back. But keep in mind you will be running upto 10k in out of station runs. So try to space them to give yourself recovery time.
26 miles 385yards in 4h 14m 40s.
RJSRdg
All Zones

Post by RJSRdg »

nozzacook wrote: 23 Nov 2020, 13:27
Lunaticonthegrass wrote: 24 Oct 2020, 21:13

Personally if running from Snaresbrook I’ve always timed it to tie up with trains at wood street. It takes on average 11-13 mins to run and a 3 min train journey. If you are looking to run to Walthamstow better to run from Leytonstone about 3k plus lots of buses that pass so chances of getting a bus even a few stops to reduce time. Average run time about 16-20mins depending on pace.
As a 12-minute miler, I reckon Snaresbrook - Wood Street would take me 18 minutes!
al
Zone 6

Post by al »

The worst is running from Snaresbrook to Wood St, only to see the train going over the bridge as you approach. The continuation to Walthamstow is harsh and hilly!
Held some Alternative Challenge records for a long time.
Doesn't any more.