Post Covid FNC

Let us know about your latest FULL NETWORK CHALLENGE efforts
trains 500
Zone 4

Re: Post Covid FNC

Post by trains 500 »

Going Underground wrote: 15 Oct 2020, 12:40 The quickest way on foot from MHE to West Finchley is to run through the golf course - yes this has been done....
i dont doubt that
Lner station assist (dispatcher)

YT: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... x7lo4OqFpy
Quizzes for Tube Nerds
RJSRdg
All Zones

Post by RJSRdg »

jrparkin wrote: 15 Oct 2020, 07:57 I'm not the best runner really (never have been, I was always the last to finish the Decathlon in High School for instance). I could probably manage a quick jog between Morden and South Merton Thameslink Station (to go to Wimbledon) but jogging to High Barnet faster than a Northern Line train no!

Thanks for the Bus Number though that helps
I wasn't meaning to jog all the way to High Barnet! (Which wouldn't be valid anyway....)

What I meant was that the new, quicker timetable for the 384 means it leaves High Barnet 3 minutes before the train from Finchley Central that connects out of a MHE train gets in (at least at the time I want to catch it!). So, if you can 'gain a train' by running from MHE to West Finchley, you might get there in time for the 384 and get to Cockfosters a lot quicker.
Last edited by RJSRdg on 16 Oct 2020, 18:04, edited 1 time in total.
272 stations in 18:30:32
The only person to have used a boat in a Random 15 Challenge!
RJSRdg
All Zones

Post by RJSRdg »

Going Underground wrote: 15 Oct 2020, 12:40 The quickest way on foot from MHE to West Finchley is to run through the golf course - yes this has been done....
I presume by that you mean going up Frith Lane and down Lover's Walk. Google reckons it's slightly shorter to go down Abercorn Walk and under the viaduct but I suspect that route has more elevation changes on it.

I did wonder if it might be possible to cut diagonally across the golf course, but the hedge in the SW corner seems pretty thick....
trains 500
Zone 4

Post by trains 500 »

RJSRdg wrote: 16 Oct 2020, 00:39
I presume by that you mean going up Frith Lane and down Lover's Walk. Google reckons it's slightly shorter to go down Abercorn Walk and under the viaduct but I suspect that route has more elevation changes on it.

I did wonder if it might be possible to cut diagonally across the golf course, but the hedge in the SW corner seems pretty thick....
trusworthy google maps lol

Quizzes for Tube Nerds
Going Underground
The Twilight Zone

Post by Going Underground »

Pah hedges our friend Andi just goes out the week before and cuts gaps in them like the cricket ground between Snarebrook and Wood Street run 😁🤣
Twice former full network GWR holder and former Zone 1 Olympic and World Record holder with The Raven and Soupie
Tube personality of the year 2009
Twice Winter Olympic Biathlon Gold Medalist with The Beer Baron
2008 All Lines Olympic Gold
RJSRdg
All Zones

Post by RJSRdg »

I have wondered in the past whether a stepladder counts as personal transport.....
Going Underground
The Twilight Zone

Post by Going Underground »

RJSRdg wrote: 18 Oct 2020, 16:59 I have wondered in the past whether a stepladder counts as personal transport.....
Again this was seriously considered before they changed Walthamstow Central :arrow: Walthamstow High Road as means of a short cut
Twice former full network GWR holder and former Zone 1 Olympic and World Record holder with The Raven and Soupie
Tube personality of the year 2009
Twice Winter Olympic Biathlon Gold Medalist with The Beer Baron
2008 All Lines Olympic Gold
jrparkin
Zone 3

Post by jrparkin »

Started to write my route down. Most of my transfers are buses because I'm not a good runner. I do have a few foot transfers, North Harrow to Rayner's Lane and Northwick Park to Kenton for instance.

Morden to Wimbledon I've decided to do foot transfer to South Merton and Thameslink to Wimbledon. Battersea Park (since it will almost certainly be open at the time of my attempt) is a bus transfer from Oval but it requires two buses 436 and then the 344

Then we have everybody's favourite station in all of tube challenging; Kensington (Olympia). Not sure about this one. Current strategy is take Overground from West Brompton to Shepherd's Bush and see if I can get it later on the way to High Street Kensington
Former record holder; Repton 3 Oceans high score 36916
Sheffield Supertram: 3:17:29
London Underground (243 stations): 18:06:49
Vienna U Bahn (FNC): 5:04:47
trains 500
Zone 4

Post by trains 500 »

battersea park is the southern and LO service. if you are thinking of the northern line that will be stopping at nine elms and battersea power station (i think)

Quizzes for Tube Nerds
jrparkin
Zone 3

Post by jrparkin »

Yes I was thinking of the Northern Line extension. The bus transfer was to save a double back. Until it opens though and we have WTT's to look at we won't know what is faster

I remembered that Battersea Park is on the LO but is not on the map!
RJSRdg
All Zones

Post by RJSRdg »

Bit of a nightmare trying to plan a route right now TBH - with all these 'temporary' timetables, the timings could all be quite different by the time it's possible to do one, especially since there's talk of TfL having to cut services.
greatkingrat
All Zones

Post by greatkingrat »

I'd be amazed if two buses worked out quicker than doubling back to Kennington.
Soon to be yet another forum train driver
trains 500
Zone 4

Post by trains 500 »

greatkingrat wrote: 19 Oct 2020, 21:38 I'd be amazed if two buses worked out quicker than doubling back to Kennington.
same thoughts here

Quizzes for Tube Nerds
jrparkin
Zone 3

Post by jrparkin »

I checked again and got something completely different! The 436 bus does go all the way from Oval to Battersea without a change

You are probably right, it would be quicker to just travel to Kennington, Nine Elms and Battersea Park then double back to Kennington and get a Morden train, I was thinking of a potential waiting period like at Heathrow Terminal 4 or Mill Hill East before a return journey
al
Zone 6

Post by al »

You are quite right to evaluate all the options in every part of your route. What I have found is that something that looks nice and simple to my brain is also sometimes slower than the less easy option!
Held some Alternative Challenge records for a long time.
Doesn't any more.