1st FNC advice pls

Let us know about your latest FULL NETWORK CHALLENGE efforts
jambogogs
Zone 1

1st FNC advice pls

Post by jambogogs »

Hi all. I’m hoping to do my 1st FNC later this year (Covid permitting) using the labyrinth challenge route. Won’t get anywhere near a record time but it’s more for personal satisfaction of completion. As I’m based in Edinburgh it’s a bit difficult to do trial runs so any advice would be gratefully appreciated. I’ll be in London for a day on 31st Aug and will be timing connections between stations on foot/bus. I already know the basics. Food, water, spare empty bottle, Imodium etc. Thanks all.
trains 500
Zone 4

Re: 1st FNC advice pls

Post by trains 500 »

door positions
Lner station assist (dispatcher)

YT: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... x7lo4OqFpy
Quizzes for Tube Nerds
Lunaticonthegrass
Zone 4

Post by Lunaticonthegrass »

Kensington Olympia gets just 9 trains a day - 7 early morning and 2 mid-evening. The labyrinth route way done before changes to the timetable (it used to have a half-hourly service throughout the day), so the route would need some tweeking to be possible. Use the working timetables (WTTs) to plan this bit.
Full Network (270 stations) - 18:22:43
Parks - 7:57:23
Alphabet - 5:30:40
Roads, Streets and Lanes - 3:51:51
Zone 1 - 3:03:50 (Former record)
Bottle - 1:57:43
1 pint in 18 seconds
RJSRdg
All Zones

Post by RJSRdg »

I did come up with an "improved Labyrinth" a few years ago which got round that problem but I think I introduced another issue somewhere else if memory serves (or the timetable changed!).

There are still (AFAIK) about 20 stations closed at the moment so a FNC can't be done until they reopen.

Good luck attempting one whilst wearing a mask! (I have a route I've put together during lockdown but I suspect by the time the mask rule is relaxed, the Battersea extension will have opened and I'll need to come up with a new one!)
272 stations in 18:30:32
The only person to have used a boat in a Random 15 Challenge!
jambogogs
Zone 1

Post by jambogogs »

Thanks for the advice so far folks. I knew about Ken O, thought about doing it on a Saturday when there’s a regular service. As far as the closed stations goes, as far as I know trains are still running through (except T4). With that in mind it won’t be a proper FNC but a good starting place for when things get back to normal.
stepneygreen05
Zone 2

Post by stepneygreen05 »

Most stations have reopened , or will have reopened by September. Its only a matter of time before T4 reopens aswell
Lunaticonthegrass
Zone 4

Post by Lunaticonthegrass »

jambogogs wrote: 22 Aug 2020, 13:48 ...thought about doing it on a Saturday when there’s a regular service.
Good luck finding a Saturday without engineering works!
Full Network (270 stations) - 18:22:43
Parks - 7:57:23
Alphabet - 5:30:40
Roads, Streets and Lanes - 3:51:51
Zone 1 - 3:03:50 (Former record)
Bottle - 1:57:43
1 pint in 18 seconds
al
Zone 6

Post by al »

stepneygreen05 wrote: 23 Aug 2020, 11:56 Most stations have reopened , or will have reopened by September. Its only a matter of time before T4 reopens aswell
The T4 closure is not driven by lack of LU staff, the whole terminal is closed due to no flights. I can't see it reopening any time soon. I think Battersea will be open before T4 is.
Held some Alternative Challenge records for a long time.
Doesn't any more.
stepneygreen05
Zone 2

Post by stepneygreen05 »

Well that's the end of the FNC for quite a while then
jambogogs
Zone 1

Post by jambogogs »

Lunaticonthegrass wrote: 23 Aug 2020, 13:13
jambogogs wrote: 22 Aug 2020, 13:48 ...thought about doing it on a Saturday when there’s a regular service.
Good luck finding a Saturday without engineering works!
There’s a couple of weekends in October/November without engineering works on the tube, just overground/TfL rail
ANDY_JS
Zone 2

Post by ANDY_JS »

Good luck to jambogogs on his TC attempt later this year.

Quick question: does anyone know how you can tell which train is going to go first when you're at either Cockfosters or Edgware? On about 3 occasions I've tried to work it out and couldn't see how to do so. I had to guess and got it wrong once. At some stations there's an arrow to tell you which train is going first but there doesn't seem to be at these two stations. Does the timetable help maybe?
Iain
All Zones

Post by Iain »

Even at stations with arrows, the trains don't always follow them! Timetables can easily get out of synch so that's not reliable either.

I think Cockfosters has DMIs as you move towards the platforms and I vaguely recall some sort of display upstairs at Edgware, but I'm not 100% on that. The only suggestion I can give is to get what info is available (so scout out indicators, use apps, watch where people are going etc) and always stay alert to switch trains if needs be. Someone as back up to hold doors is useful too just in case
Full Network: Three completions, Best time: 17:18:18 - thanks Glen, Andrew and Rhys!
Former DLR 45 station record holder (with Glen, Andi and Stevo) - 2h:08m:57s
All lines: 46:11 (6th equal)
Zone One 2:52:51 (thanks Glen)
RJSRdg
All Zones

Post by RJSRdg »

There's an easy way of knowing at any terminus...

.... it's the one you're not on!
272 stations in 18:30:32
The only person to have used a boat in a Random 15 Challenge!
ANDY_JS
Zone 2

Post by ANDY_JS »

Once again apologies for potentially going off topic but I didn't want to start a new thread.

I think I've just had one of those Eureka moments as far as the Tube Challenge is concerned.

All this time I've assumed that there are two northern-bound Northern Line platforms at Euston — one going via Mornington Crescent to Camden Town and the other bypassing it — but today I think it's dawned on me that in fact there's only one. I hope this is correct. If so, it makes one of my Tube Challenge routes a little easier than I had previously imagined.
Steeevooo
All Zones

Post by Steeevooo »

There are two sets of Northern Line platforms at Euston and they are not next to each other either! The Charing Cross branch stops at Mornington Crescent en route to Camden Town whereas the Bank branch take a different route and travels non stop. You will need to visit Mornington Crescent on the challenge.