DLR Challenge

Let us know about your latest FULL NETWORK CHALLENGE efforts
Root
All Zones

Post by Root »

Well, I'd be keen to hear your guesses - drop me a PM and we can discuss this in more detail!

I think the DLR system can be done in 1 hour 45 minutes - I was waiting around for 5-10 minutes on a couple of occasions. I probably would have done it faster had I attempted it in peak time, too.
2012 Formula 1 predictions competition
Rules and discussion - Entry form - Results and standings
Root
All Zones

Post by Root »

Furthermore, can we have a "Top Times - DLR Challenge" thread?

Never mind the fact that only two people have done it, I want my name in lights.

To tell the truth, the main reason I ended up doing the DLR challenge was because a Circle Line suspension buggered up my storming Bottle attempt, then I was stuck in Edgware Road for ages waiting for a train of any description to get me, well, away from Edgware Road - I ended up thinking "I'm fed up of the Underground, what else can I do?" and ended up planning my route in about five minutes at Shadwell station platform. I think that was only the fourth time in my life I've used the DLR, and all previous times it has been for only a couple of stops, so I was sort of excited to get to use the system. I enjoyed the great views you get from sitting at the front and marvelled at the driverless operation. I would encourage people to give it a go before they dismiss it as a nondescript challenge.
Soup Dragon
The Twilight Zone

Post by Soup Dragon »

Furthermore, can we have a "Top Times - DLR Challenge" thread?

Never mind the fact that only two people have done it, I want my name in lights.
Glory Hunter! :D
Root
All Zones

Post by Root »

Yes, and?
Going Underground
The Twilight Zone

Post by Going Underground »

Root wrote:Furthermore, can we have a "Top Times - DLR Challenge" .
Don't see why not :D
Twice former full network GWR holder and former Zone 1 Olympic and World Record holder with The Raven and Soupie
Tube personality of the year 2009
Twice Winter Olympic Biathlon Gold Medalist with The Beer Baron
2008 All Lines Olympic Gold
tpfkar
Zone 4

Post by tpfkar »

Had a go at this earlier on this morning. 2hours, 2 minutes, 55 seconds. Would have been 10 minutes faster had I made that train at Tower Gateway instead of watching it leave the platform.

This challenge I think is subtly different - as everything is timetabled, you know exactly how long you have to do the runs and changes involved, and this makes some of them good or not so good.

e.g. I finished at West Silvertown, having run Gallions Reach to King George V. Good exercise, but it's usually going to be trains at 5 mins and 15 mins, and it's a 8/9 minuter. So there's several minutes down the pan already. So looking back, my route has room for improvement.
Root
All Zones

Post by Root »

Hurrah, this Challenge is taking off!

Right, I'm going to take some initiative and make the Top Times thread. Anthony usually does, but I doubt he's that interested in this particular Challenge!
gasman
Zone 4

Post by gasman »

Had another go at the DLR yesterday afternoon. Started at Beckton, ended at King George V, took a route which is sure to smash the record if the non-DLR connections behave nicely, and spiral out of control butterfly-effect stylee if they don't.

Guess which one happened.

2 hours, 17 minutes, 52 seconds.

It was a pleasant enough trip though. The ExCeL centre was much less boring this time (preparations for the British International Motor Show in full swing) and they were putting up a huge sign on top of the LCA terminal building which had got as far as 'Lond' by the time I was heading back.

Hang about, how did I completely fail to see this? http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/london/5180428.stm

There was an "Inspector Sands to the control room" alert going on at Stratford, which didn't seem to have any effect on my journey but was rather interesting all the same. (I know they're intended to avoid alarming passengers who aren't "in the know", but surely they must know something's up when it's the only station announcement they ever hear that's vaguely audible?)