Recce runs

Let us know about your latest FULL NETWORK CHALLENGE efforts
ITFCShirts
Zone 1

Recce runs

Post by ITFCShirts »

I promised to give back to the forum, given that I've taken a lot of good advice already.

Practice makes perfect I was told. Don't plan it on a spreadsheet. Well starting with the mother of all spreadsheets with multiple start times, and routes wrapped around the least frequent trains, I have a route that I am happy with.

What have I learnt so far:
- carriage placement, and refining it. I've certainly found that every second has the potential to count, or that annoying suitcase avoided. I've refined and re-refined from train thirds (back/front/middle), to carriages, and for some even which doors, on which side of the carriage

- Kensington Olympia at the weekend - part of a scoping run at the weekend (only available time), rather than the precise trains aimed for. Practice run from Hammersmith to KO (potential rather definite route) very successfully run 40 seconds less than planned, although if required would be late in the day and therefore suspect heavy legs may slow this down!

- Toilets - aka my bladder is very weak/my weakness. I have been scoping toilets, and some tight changes may need to be made more risky with toilet stops. Stanmore in particular had a 1:15min gap between arriving and departing, and with the toilets at the front of the train, this was swift but well executed. The trade off if returning to Canons Park for run to Edgware is that the ideal exit is right at the other end of the train, and Northern line isn't quite as accommodating for moving through the train between stops!

- Food - Definitely a challenge, balancing the weight vs the need for stored energy. Energy gels called upon. I will be roping in a support team at a couple of pre-arranged locations for lunch/water top-ups

- First train blues - Talk about a let down. NW Corner test, for proposed start, and tricky navigation of Amersham/Chesham, all planned based on WTT. First train... didn't arrive. Completely screwed up plans. Taking the next train potential adds 30mins to the time. Potentially better to wait for one further. No explanation to why train didn't turn up, and the next one was exactly as per WTT. Very odd. Threw out my entire training plan, but still managed to scope platforms/runs/changes/toilets(!). I'll definitely be monitoring the live departure boards the next few week days to check whether that same train consistently doesn't arrive (is the WTT wrong) or did I just get unlucky - and better for it to happen on a training run!

- Buses - Can't rely on them! Might also be my speed, and may change later in the day, but even a little bit of traffic, and the regular stopping means running is quicker on anything under 0.8 miles, but then my 5k time is sub 20mins

- staying focused and disciplined - to meet the GWR requirements, staying switched on for every single stop, and thinking "Camera on, wheres the roundel, log book", and then doing that plus getting ready to run (and on the training run switch on stopwatches, strava, etc) with route maps in hand - wow my head quickly hurts...I then always seem to forget to check the train numbers as the next train arrives as I'm bent over double after a sprint!

- Transitions in stations take longer than first thought - who would have through crossing platforms at Mile End took 30seconds. But....

- Transitions you can't see, don't take as long as expected! - Green Park, Kings Cross, Moorgate, West Ham, Stratford - All earmarked for 2 minutes, but surprisingly less, and helped to refine the routes.

- Uxbridge - why on earth don't they open the left hand doors of platform 2 onto the platform 1?!

- West Brompton - They don't like you changing to National Rail without touching the pink connector!!! Seems to be manned every time I go through it, Vital seconds potentially lost if the change is tight!

- OSI resets - still getting my head around these. Some odd ones that are linked that I wouldn't have thought of and some close that don't seem to be. Important to know on some route planning, and how to break them (still learning)

I'm sure I'll come up with a little more. I will also attempt to write up my full run when I do it in a few weeks time!
DavidC
Zone 6

Re: Recce runs

Post by DavidC »

Interesting notes - thanks for sharing
First to 100000 in the 2015+ Tumbleweed contest. Winner of a few rounds of a diverse range of quizzes/games. Some decent times in alternative challenges as a fiftysomething who merely walks briskly. Briefly led All The Actons.
RJSRdg
All Zones

Post by RJSRdg »

Yes, attempting to get off the wrong side of the train rarely works well.... (except at Morden!)
272 stations in 18:30:32
The only person to have used a boat in a Random 15 Challenge!
Iain
All Zones

Post by Iain »

Changes within stations - allow significantly more time if you're doing it in rush hour!

I'd be wary of letting OSIs etc dictate your route - you'll potentially be throwing away good ideas. Get a paper ticket if you need to.
Full Network: Three completions, Best time: 17:18:18 - thanks Glen, Andrew and Rhys!
Former DLR 45 station record holder (with Glen, Andi and Stevo) - 2h:08m:57s
All lines: 46:11 (6th equal)
Zone One 2:52:51 (thanks Glen)
ITFCShirts
Zone 1

Post by ITFCShirts »

So these Recce runs have mounted up, and I've spent the time getting them into my notes rather than onto this forum... but my attempt is this Friday. I'll attempt to share as much as I can after the event, and after a relaxing (non-tube, non-running) weekend away!

Any last minute pieces of advice or wisdom from the forum?
dstock17
Zone 5

Post by dstock17 »

ITFCShirts wrote: 30 Aug 2017, 21:52 So these Recce runs have mounted up, and I've spent the time getting them into my notes rather than onto this forum... but my attempt is this Friday. I'll attempt to share as much as I can after the event, and after a relaxing (non-tube, non-running) weekend away!

I'm free on Friday if u want support
Only tube challenger to be number 1 in parkrun
hopeful traveller
All Zones

Post by hopeful traveller »

ITFCShirts wrote: 30 Aug 2017, 21:52 So these Recce runs have mounted up, and I've spent the time getting them into my notes rather than onto this forum... but my attempt is this Friday. I'll attempt to share as much as I can after the event, and after a relaxing (non-tube, non-running) weekend away!

Quit now whilst you still have your sanity!
1 FNC Completion (PB: 17:18:18 with G Bryant, A Chilcraft, I MacNaughton)
4 Zone Ones (PB: 03:00:35 with G Bryant)
15 R15s (PB: 01:55:48 with T Cooling and R Jackson)
11 All Lines (PB: 00:44:03)
Winner of the 2014 Formula 1 Side Competition
ITFCShirts
Zone 1

Post by ITFCShirts »

Sanity gone. Stupidest of mistakes, very very early in my run (got on wrong train...) going again next Friday
RJSRdg
All Zones

Post by RJSRdg »

ITFCShirts wrote: 01 Sep 2017, 17:20 Sanity gone. Stupidest of mistakes, very very early in my run (got on wrong train...) going again next Friday
You should have signed the sanity clause!

"You can't fool me! Dere ain't no Sanity Clause!"
272 stations in 18:30:32
The only person to have used a boat in a Random 15 Challenge!
ITFCShirts
Zone 1

Post by ITFCShirts »

It really has gone quiet on the FNC forum, hasn't it? Everyone seems to be waiting for Battersea spur to open/have given up.

Perhaps time for another attempt....
Going Underground
The Twilight Zone

Post by Going Underground »

ITFCShirts wrote: 22 Jul 2019, 16:01 It really has gone quiet on the FNC forum, hasn't it? Everyone seems to be waiting for Battersea spur to open/have given up.

Perhaps time for another attempt....
With the ridiculous criteria now needed as evidence by GWR a lot of us simply can't be bothered anymore :(
Twice former full network GWR holder and former Zone 1 Olympic and World Record holder with The Raven and Soupie
Tube personality of the year 2009
Twice Winter Olympic Biathlon Gold Medalist with The Beer Baron
2008 All Lines Olympic Gold
al
Zone 6

Post by al »

The Goblin being closed for ages has also been a deterrent. Having said that, I don't think I'll try again until Battersea opens.
Held some Alternative Challenge records for a long time.
Doesn't any more.
Going Underground
The Twilight Zone

Post by Going Underground »

al wrote: 22 Jul 2019, 23:28 The Goblin being closed for ages has also been a deterrent. Having said that, I don't think I'll try again until Battersea opens.
Tube Olympics next for me and even then it will be a logistical start / finish near home rather than GWR attempt
Twice former full network GWR holder and former Zone 1 Olympic and World Record holder with The Raven and Soupie
Tube personality of the year 2009
Twice Winter Olympic Biathlon Gold Medalist with The Beer Baron
2008 All Lines Olympic Gold
ITFCShirts
Zone 1

Post by ITFCShirts »

With the ridiculous criteria now needed as evidence by GWR a lot of us simply can't be bothered anymore :(
[/quote]

Well surely it's enough to be recognised by this forum, rather than by GWR? You don't do R15 for the benefit of GWR! (and I should probably do a R15 at some point...). The GWR rules won't change when Battersea opens, so it's still the same issue. Besides, I'll take an improvement to my existing time as a starting point (and a route tweak is making me feel better about an improved time)
Iain
All Zones

Post by Iain »

I'm struggling to run at the moment, otherwise I'd be doing an attempt this summer. Still keen to get under 17 hours
Full Network: Three completions, Best time: 17:18:18 - thanks Glen, Andrew and Rhys!
Former DLR 45 station record holder (with Glen, Andi and Stevo) - 2h:08m:57s
All lines: 46:11 (6th equal)
Zone One 2:52:51 (thanks Glen)