18:15 theoretical - including a 20 minute wait for a bus

Let us know about your latest FULL NETWORK CHALLENGE efforts
spoogie37
Zone 1

18:15 theoretical - including a 20 minute wait for a bus

Post by spoogie37 »

My latest theoretical route comes in at 18 hours 15 minutes. I go up the Northern Line (Barnet Branch) towards the end of the day - direct train from Euston to Mill Hill East (via Charing Cross), back to Finchley Central and up to High Barnet, arriving at 21:40. A bus leaves there for Oakwood at that time so if the those times are replcated in reality then I won't catch that bus. Next one not due until 22:00! I still get to Upminster at 23:43.

The route doesn't include Shoreditch - I won't be doing it until after T4 opens and Shoreditch will be closed by then. I will need to get from North Harrow to West Harrow in 6 minutes - probably practice required. I was driven past North Harrow Station the other day and I noticed a footpath next to it with the legend 'West Harrow 1/2', lets hope thats accuarate.

Risky bit - using National Rail connection between Willesden Junction and Olympia - and later West Brompton - only every half hour outside the peaks so a bit dire if I miss it.

And thanks to the kind soul who pointed out a good time window to be doing the Eastern end of the Central Line. My theoretical gets there just at the end of the recommended window and there is indeed a three minute connection at Woodford.
tubeguru
Site Administrator

Post by tubeguru »

So you're relying on a timetabled train to Mill Hill East?

Good luck ...
One thing only do I know, and that is that I know nothing - Socrates.

Champion of bugger all, 2004 to 2022
Member of sweet FA
spoogie37
Zone 1

The joys of Mill Hill East

Post by spoogie37 »

tubeguru wrote:So you're relying on a timetabled train to Mill Hill East?

Good luck ...
Thanks - hopefully that 20 mins at High Barnet gives me some leeway just in case ...
hwolge
Zone 6

Post by hwolge »

Don't underestimate the 384 bus from High Barnet-Cockfosters directly. It only took 15-16 minutes, despite all the twists and turns, and also departed more or less on time at 21:10 a few weeks back... 8)

If you end up on an Oakwood bus, consider getting off at the Bramley Rd stop (at the roundabout 800 meters south of Cockfosters). Legging it from there to Cockfosters will certainly be quicker than going via Oakwood, at least if you're in decent shape (the intended Harrow run definitely implies that :!: ).

Best of luck!
:) Three times Zone 1 Challenge winner :)
:) Official record holder in the 2008 Guinness Book of Records, pg 199 :)
dr_chris
Zone 3

Post by dr_chris »

On time?

Bus?!?

Buses have timetables??????
jonny
Zone 6

Post by jonny »

I'm not a very good tube challenger but I struggle to see how (or why) you would end up needing to get somewhere from Willesden Junction. Also, why are you arriving and departing Olympia both on BR trains? Do you intend to get the District line into Earl's Court and then back out from EC to Olympia?
Obviously you're not going to give away your secrets but if another challenger could explain this to me I'd be very grateful.
spoogie37
Zone 1

Wiillesden Junction and Olympia

Post by spoogie37 »

jonny wrote:I'm not a very good tube challenger but I struggle to see how (or why) you would end up needing to get somewhere from Willesden Junction. Also, why are you arriving and departing Olympia both on BR trains? Do you intend to get the District line into Earl's Court and then back out from EC to Olympia?
Obviously you're not going to give away your secrets but if another challenger could explain this to me I'd be very grateful.
Trains from Earls Court to Olympia are rare beasts - every 20 minutes, so a National Rail train which connects nicely to an Olympia train - which my latest theoretical does do - is useful. There is a half hourly service (quarter-hourly in the morning peak) from Willesden Junction to Clapham Junction going through Olympia and West Brompton, getting from Willesden Junction to Olympia in nine minutes. I then get District to High Street Kensington and onto ... no thats giving too much away!

The reason I do to Willesdent Junction a second time is because I need to cover the Bakerloo Line south of there - so I get a northbound train along the Bakerloo (I won't tell you where from!!!) and go to West Brompton (takes eleven minutes) and from there District down to Wimbledon.

Incidentally there are two new stations opening on the Willesden Junction-Clapham Junction line early next year, one at Shepherds Bush (don't know where that will be in relation to the exisitng Shepherds Bush stations) and Imperial Wharf (whch apparently will be near Chelsae Harbour)
tubeguru
Site Administrator

Post by tubeguru »

National Rail at Kensington Olympia. Obviously you're going to depart Olympia on a tube train ...

Member of sweet FA
spoogie37
Zone 1

Post by spoogie37 »

tubeguru wrote:National Rail at Kensington Olympia. Obviously you're going to depart Olympia on a tube train ...
yep - to High Street Ken
jonny
Zone 6

Post by jonny »

oh i see, i misunderstood the original post.
Fimb
Zone 2

Post by Fimb »

The Sheps Bush station will be nearest to the Central Line station. About half a mile in total from my understanding.

(Is this line frequently used does anyone know? Will it make much difference to Shepherds Bush?!)
barrykas
Zone 4

Post by barrykas »

Fimb wrote:(Is this line frequently used does anyone know? Will it make much difference to Shepherds Bush?!)
Like the North London Lines (Richmond - North Woolwich and Gospel Oak - Barking), the West London Line is a key freight route, which is why Railtrack weren't too happy about the prospect of opening three new stations (West Brompton, Shepherds Bush and Imperial Wharf/Chelsea Harbour), as it'd eat up freight paths.

So it's going to be real fun when TfL take over the main NLL next year and want to increase the frequency...

Cheers,

Barry
--
Barry Salter, barry (at) southie (dot) me (dot) uk
Fimb
Zone 2

Post by Fimb »

I'm thinking more the effect on house prices than freight companies!!
TheFatBuoy
Zone 5

Post by TheFatBuoy »

Possibly to some degree, due to the link with Clapham Junction, but as far as I'm aware not many fast (or even semi-fast) trains run from Willesden Junction, so from that point of view it won't make a massive difference. If they re-jigged things and has lots of fast/semi-fast trains stopping at Willesden Junction (which they may already do, or be planning to - I'm no expert) then it potentially could.
Paul Hunter (1978-2006) RIP
tubeguru
Site Administrator

Post by tubeguru »

Talking of the NLL, I've recently been playing a signalling simulator of the North London area and it's quite challenging.

http://www.simsig.co.uk for the geeks around here ...

Member of sweet FA