First 275 attempt

Let us know about your latest FULL NETWORK CHALLENGE efforts
tpfkar
Zone 4

Post by tpfkar »

Seems to be open season on the 275, doesn't it? Good luck to both jonny and editorsfoot. Is yours a proper record attempt jonny?

While the bandwagon's rolling, if anyone would be interested in tagging along on an attempt in the not so distant future, why not give me a PM?
TheFatBuoy
Zone 5

Post by TheFatBuoy »

Ric, I might be up for that, depending on whose route we're using. I had an absolutely cracking one that, whilst it wouldn't beat the record, it'd come fairly close, with the advantage of not including any form of running. I reckon that if someone that could run tried my route, it *could* be a record breaker.

Anyway, I've just improved on it slightly, and am just about to work out theoretical times. I've also got a potential team, but might be up for making something happen.
Paul Hunter (1978-2006) RIP
jonny
Zone 6

Post by jonny »

tpfkar wrote:Is yours a proper record attempt jonny?
I will follow all the rules, e.g. visit HT4, etc. as if it were a record attempt but will not bother taking logs as my route cannot even theoretically break the record. Last time I missed 3 stations so this time I hope to get around all of the stations in a day.
I guess the short answer is no.
BTW I've moved mine to next Friday (i.e. Friday 21st).
CrunchySaviour
All Zones

Post by CrunchySaviour »

Jonny, surely it would be a bit silly not to take logs: you never know your luck - and why not make a route that theoretically IS good enough?
~ Let loose the bands of war! DISINTEGRATOR.co.uk
jonny
Zone 6

Post by jonny »

Jonny, surely it would be a bit silly not to take logs: you never know your luck - and why not make a route that theoretically IS good enough?
Ok I'll take logs but I'll probably give up half way through when I forget to take down a number or something.
I would also need someone to start a stopwatch at 5:28 in Amersham and stop it again in Upminster, though, and with such a low prospect of breaking the record I doubt anyone would be bothered.
In answer to your second question, I would make a route that theoretically IS good enough if I had the brains. My last route got in at 00:31 theoretically and I've edited with all the changes I can possibly find and it now gets in at 00:26. I keep looking but if I start from scratch my route probably will be worse than the one I have now.
But hey, it IS fun travelling on the tube all day even if there's nothing in it for anybody!
editorsfoot
Zone 5

Post by editorsfoot »

Well I made by first attempt, I was never going to be a record breaker but all was going well and I was half an hour up on schedule until mid afternoon when I was caught up in a signal failure at West Finchley, and I arrived at High Barnet to find out the Piccadilly was suspended between Cockfosters and Oakwood, so I missed out Cockfosters as well. For every bad change (West Harrow, Warren Street, Knightsbridge and having to change at Kings Cross) I had some that were spot on (30 seconds at Goodge Street, Camden Town, Earls Court). I will make another stab at the challenge when I'm next on holiday, going to start from scratch with a new route, Amersham to Heathrow wasn't brilliant.

As for tickets the ticket office at Amersham was closed at 5.25 and the inspectors and transport police were purging at Rickmansworth causing the first delay of the day. Oh well, back off to Amersham to collect my car.

BTW ********* site makes interesting reading, he's not telling how he did it, I think he did by lying, wonder if he will contact GWR.
Root
All Zones

Post by Root »

What's wrong with using the touch-screen ticket machines?

Besides the fact that they often don't work, or don't accept your method of payment... at least they give you the right ticket.
2012 Formula 1 predictions competition
Rules and discussion - Entry form - Results and standings
tubeguru
Site Administrator

Post by tubeguru »

I set a personal record for topping up the prepay on my Oystercard last night.

11 seconds from start to finish, and paying by note as well.

Beat that!
One thing only do I know, and that is that I know nothing - Socrates.

Champion of bugger all, 2004 to 2022
Member of sweet FA
editorsfoot
Zone 5

Post by editorsfoot »

I used the touch screen at Amersham last week, worked perfectly including the chip and pin, only wish they had one at New Cross Gate.
standclearofthedoors
Zone 4

Post by standclearofthedoors »

Far Quicker to pay buy note then card, providing the machine doesn't spew the cash out again.
<b>All Good Things Must Come To an End, & so must this post...</b>
What's Your Favourite Crustacean? Mine's Charing.