275 again

Let us know about your latest FULL NETWORK CHALLENGE efforts
dr_chris
Zone 3

275 again

Post by dr_chris »

Hey guys -

Sam, Steve and myself had another crack at 275 on Tuesday.

After a good Amersham start, I think the late Chesham departure set the tone for the day!

Massive hold-ups include - an early West Harrow train which left just as we arrived, jam-packed rush-hour trains that we had to let go, 20 mins in total waiting at Finchley Central while they:

a) had no Mill Hill East trains on the board for ages
b) re-routed a High Barnet train to Mill Hill East after I had a whinge
c) terminated two High Barnet trains early at Finchley Central when we came back!

We also suffered a wonderfully OAP-laden bus journey (complete with tediously drawn-out hobbling boarding/disembarking), yet another bus being driven by a brain-dead clown, sitting around like a lemon on the Northern Line, bloody ages at Woodford (20 mins) and that just screwed us over royally...

Good points included sexy Heathrow changes and... well, that's about it really! Oh, there was the group of 50 schoolkids who hopped on the ELL at Canada Water and proceeded one stop northbound to Rotherhithe before all jumping off... waste of time/money?

Time - 19 hours, 28 minutes, 34 secs

To think, we considered doing it today instead - I was sitting around for hours on the Northern/Jubilee lines going down to Tooting this lunchtime!
Sam
The Twilight Zone

Post by Sam »

Could today really have been any worse than yesterday though Chris??
It was just one of those days and we were doomed! My hamstrings are extremely painful and I can barely walk, despite the fact I didn't actually do much running! :(
Why is it when you want a bus driver to drive like a maniac they never do, but when you don't, they all do! Conspiracy!
Sorry if i'm rambling, i'm knackered and in pain! :roll:
tubeguru
Site Administrator

Post by tubeguru »

Err, that's only 10 minutes slower than Jack Welsby's record ...

So the tube must either be getting quicker, or challengers are getting better. I think I know which it must be ...
One thing only do I know, and that is that I know nothing - Socrates.

Champion of bugger all, 2004 to 2022
Member of sweet FA
dr_chris
Zone 3

Post by dr_chris »

I'm worried that your hamstrings hurt considering that the quads should've been doing the running work...

It could've been a lot worse (Tube Relief day being an example that springs to mind - or indeed there could've been security alerts, fires etc...)

I feel it's perhaps a bad time to do the challenge, considering the network seems to be going through what psychologists would call a 'rough patch'...

I honestly think that if that bloody West Harrow train hadn't left early we would've potentially done at least a half an hour better on the time, possibly more.
Steeevooo
All Zones

Post by Steeevooo »

tubeguru wrote:Err, that's only 10 minutes slower than Jack Welsby's record ...
Indeed, however it is also 11 minutes slower than Chris and my previous attempt, despite our route being minorly tweaked since the last attempt and the modification of the Jubilee timetable provisionally helping us at a crucial stage in our route, but ah well, it was not to be this time!
Is there any more depressing sight than that as you are coming down from Buckhurst Hill to Woodford and you see your Hainault bound train scuttling up towards Roding Valley Station?
Sam
The Twilight Zone

Post by Sam »

Hmmm, Chris i'm no expert on muscles, all I know is my legs bloody hurt and when I told you on the day, that's what you said was wrong!!
They still hurt, dammit!
dr_chris
Zone 3

Post by dr_chris »

My anatomy is flawless.

Your musculo-skeletal physiology seems confused!

I feel we need to rigorously dissect the route - I reckon a 'theoretical' time of close to 18 hours is necessary to stand a serious record-breaking chance.
Steeevooo
All Zones

Post by Steeevooo »

I feel that your idea of rigorously dissecting the route is somewhat unnecessary at present given that you are unable to complete another attempt before Shoreditch closes! Me on the other hand... :P
dr_chris
Zone 3

Post by dr_chris »

There are other parts of the route besides Shoreditch!

Besides, how could you live with yourself if you did an attempt without me just because I had bloody important exams?
Sam
The Twilight Zone

Post by Sam »

It's alright Chris, at present he'd have to do it on his own because my exam timetable does not allow another attempt either....
Plus I think our route is fine as it is, it was the major delays that screwed us over, not the route! :roll: