Attempt 23: FART 2014

Let us know about your latest FULL NETWORK CHALLENGE efforts
al
Zone 6

Attempt 23: FART 2014

Post by al »

So this was my 23rd attempt, which saw me back at Chesham to start as the Olympia service was running. I parked at Chalfont & Latimer, and caught the train up to Chesham. As I was starting later than the main bulk of participants I was hoping to wave at them on the arriving train from Chesham, but their door positioning was terrible :wink:

I never noticed any other tube challengers starting on the train I did (such as Marc), but then I wasn't really looking out for any either!

The first changes were all as expected, but then on the way South from Watford, we stopped for no apparent reason at Moor Park for 2.5 minutes. This then meant that I missed my next connection, and was thus off my plan for the remainder of the day.

The morning remained frustrating, with broken down trains blocking platforms, station clocks being fast so just missing trains and foolishly trusting the '1 min' on bus apps when I should have known it was probably five minutes away in reality. My Olympia connection was ruined.

The afternoon saw a change in fortune, however, as I managed what is probably my fastest ever Cockfosters - High Barnet in 17 minutes to make a perfect MHE and managed to just catch a 142 from Edgware.

As I was off route, I ended up throwing in a run and a couple of changes that I have never done on a full network before (one change was new full stop) which all went very well. I also enjoyed using the new link at Walthamstow (although the toilets being closed in the Bus Station was annoying to say the least!). I'm not sure how easy it is to find the station going towards Central as I didn't really see any sign posts.

Unfortunately, the Central line killed me off. I had deliberately gambled slightly on catching the loop first as a tight connection at Woodford if it worked would get me five minutes ahead, even though the Epping before hand with hindsight would have been safer. We left Hainault precisely on time, then got held at Grange Hill for two minutes and Chigwell for three, thus blowing any chance of the tight connection. Even worse, the Epping trains were all running quite late, so the next train was a slow running Debden terminator, with the train which should have been my tight connection running behind that. Unsurprisingly we were the only train at Epping, and we left seven minutes after my 'reserve' train. Rah!

It then got me further down the line as I should have been lined up nicely for a West Ruislip, but instead I was on an Ealing Broadway, followed by a White City, followed by a Ruislip Gardens, followed by another Ealing Broadway, followed by a West Ruislip - all of which got held up by a train reversing at Marble Arch. Nine thrilling minutes at Rusilip Gardens, and just missing a train at Ickenham, led me to throw in the towel.

I suppose I'll have to try again at some point. Bloody network...
Last edited by al on 18 Aug 2014, 20:40, edited 1 time in total.
Held some Alternative Challenge records for a long time.
Doesn't any more.
tractakid
The Twilight Zone

Re: Attempt 22: FART 2014

Post by tractakid »

Sorry to hear the network messed you about, but thanks for competing and for writing the report! Better luck next time.
*insert boasting about notable tube accomplishments here*
al
Zone 6

Re: Attempt 23: FART 2014

Post by al »

Correction: 23rd attempt, not 22nd
Held some Alternative Challenge records for a long time.
Doesn't any more.
Sam
The Twilight Zone

Re: Attempt 23: FART 2014

Post by Sam »

That's some rotten luck :(
:D First and so far only female solo record holder!! :D

Ze forum's female train driver