Record-breaking attempt - would you claim the record?

Let us know about your latest FULL NETWORK CHALLENGE efforts
Steeevooo
All Zones

Post by Steeevooo »

Or in your case.... "I couldn't hold the train...too many people were giving me an evil look!" :!: :P
dr_chris
Zone 3

Post by dr_chris »

I didn't like the way the driver was looking at me in the mirror! Plus there was a rather beefy looking chappy in the carriage who looked like he was going to get up and smack me one!
Sam
The Twilight Zone

Post by Sam »

Plus, maybe if my ticket didn't get eaten by the ticket barrier, we may well have been on that train!!
Still find it amusing that the LU worker told me I should have left earlier, how much earlier could I have left exactly? :shock:
Steeevooo
All Zones

Post by Steeevooo »

Well, that rain didn't really help matters did it? Jeez, didn't it rain!
It's just not good enough though Sam, you really should have left on the last train out of Amersham the night before, that would have made him happy presumably! :wink:
dr_chris
Zone 3

Post by dr_chris »

Remind me, was he saying you should've left earlier
a) because you were visibly in a hurry, or
b) because the machine ate your ticket and that would've helped somehow?!?
dr_chris
Zone 3

Post by dr_chris »

We shall not mention the rain, it ******* ruined my spirits at Epping... thank christ Richmond branch was working!
Sam
The Twilight Zone

Post by Sam »

Well Chris it went a bit like this...

me: The machines ate my ticket
LU: Well its in there it says take ticket
me: I know, i just bloody told you that!!!
LU: Well just hang on a couple of seconds and we'll get it out for you
me: i dont have a couple of seconds to spare
LU: Well you should have left earlier shouldnt you?
Me: I left at 5.30 this morning, COULD I HAVE LEFT ANY EARLIER?
LU: *silence*

:P :P :P
PFW
Zone 3

Post by PFW »

I always buy a second ticket as soon as I get into the off peak period (or rather have someone buy me one which I pick up). Not many tickets can take 18 hours+ heavy use and still work properly.
Sam
The Twilight Zone

Post by Sam »

That's fine if you have enough money to do that, when you are a student who can't actually afford the peak one, that becomes even harder! :D
PFW
Zone 3

Post by PFW »

Some of us are old enough to remember free education, 100% grants, signing on during the summer hols, and warm sunny days that seemed to last forever.... ahhh, yes...
spoogie37
Zone 1

Using the tube costs money!!

Post by spoogie37 »

PFW wrote:Some of us are old enough to remember free education, 100% grants, signing on during the summer hols, and warm sunny days that seemed to last forever.... ahhh, yes...
Not quite 100% grant - had to get that from Mummy and Daddy. There was a Deed of Covenant for a while so parents only had to pay about 75% of it and get the rest from the taxman, but the Tories got rid of that - just like they got rid of Ken Livingstone (aka God)'s Fares Fair on the grounds that people in Bromley don't use the tube.

Now there's the small matter of coming in from Reading - an ordinary off-peak costs about £10.90 with a Network Card and I can't leave Reading until after 9:30. I also have to work these days, only 24 days off per year!
dr_chris
Zone 3

Post by dr_chris »

I'd just like to point out that:

1) Every time i've ever done 275 (excluding tube relief - dickhead station staff in upminster somehow managed to sell me a 1-D ticket, at the correct price - and make it off-peak too?!?) i've got by on one ticket all day - a little care is all it takes - i keep it at the back of my log, never fallen out/not worked yet!

2) I paid for Sam's travelcard, and I sure as hell couldn't afford another one!
dr_chris
Zone 3

Post by dr_chris »

Oh, and we COULD'VE started earlier... 04.40 from Hammersmith springs to mind?!?
Steeevooo
All Zones

Post by Steeevooo »

Ditto regarding the one travelcard surviving on all attempts so far.

And yes, technically we could have started earlier, but feasibly we couldn't given our purpose for setting off that early :P
PFW
Zone 3

Post by PFW »

dr_chris wrote:I'd just like to point out that:

1) Every time i've ever done 275 (excluding tube relief - dickhead station staff in upminster somehow managed to sell me a 1-D ticket, at the correct price - and make it off-peak too?!?) i've got by on one ticket all day - a little care is all it takes - i keep it at the back of my log, never fallen out/not worked yet!
The fact that we are having this exchange shows that tickets are not as infallable as you would hope - whether you get sold the wrong one, it gets stuck in a barrier or simply fails to work any more.

OK, I overstated my case when I said a ticket would fail after 18 hours, and I must confess that I have never had a ticket fail. But I have had team members who have had tickets fail for various reasons. A ticket failing is a minor error that can have serious consequences on a record attempt and it would be something that I would not be prepared to risk. And I am in a fortunate enough position to be able to purchase a spare, so I do.