19/02/2014 Carwyn's 2nd attempt

Let us know about your latest FULL NETWORK CHALLENGE efforts
Adelante_CCT
Zone 1

19/02/2014 Carwyn's 2nd attempt

Post by Adelante_CCT »

Tomorrow I shall be making my second attempt at the challenge, a very different route this time after my problems on my first run. Same HT4 start but a very different finish. Will post updates throughout the day.

One point that has regularly been raised on this forum is the 'same rails rule', it may be ok with Guinness but I am totally against it and will therefore not be using this 'loophole' during tomorrows run.
Nigel
Zone 5

Re: 19/02/2014 Carwyn's 2nd attempt

Post by Nigel »

Good luck!
Adam9317
Zone 1

Post by Adam9317 »

Good luck!
swanny
Zone 1

Post by swanny »

Good luck from me too, would be great to have a couple of completions this week, look forward to hearing how you get on.
Adelante_CCT
Zone 1

Post by Adelante_CCT »

Many thanks for the messages. Just like my first attempt the first piccs of the morning mess me up and what with a failed train in front at Hammersmith i missed the morning KOs, route minorly altered but some awful connections have left me far behind, i will soldier on however till the end, unless of course the evening KOs are a no go
Adelante_CCT
Zone 1

Post by Adelante_CCT »

Completed!!! Rather slow time of 19:41:44 but I am very happy to have done it. Write up will follow tomorrow.
Nigel
Zone 5

Post by Nigel »

Well done! Carwyn, if you let me have your name I'll add your completion to the list of top times.
swanny
Zone 1

Post by swanny »

Great work, glad you got round, looking forward to hearing about your run.
palkanetoijala31

Post by palkanetoijala31 »

well done
Adelante_CCT
Zone 1

Post by Adelante_CCT »

For my 2nd attempt I decided I didn't want to finish in the north west so I devised a route that allowed an Uxbridge finish allowing me to get back to my Hounslow hotel without an expensive taxi ride.

As in my first attempt the 05:02 left T4 a few minutes late missing the T5 connection. On the second service from T5 and we progressed very slowly towards Hammersmith with what turned out to be a failed train in front parked in a siding outside Hammersmith, despite my best running efforts I missed the 06:33 Ken O by a minute, decided to go LO to West Brompton and onto Wimbledon and Morden.

Out to the east and with me being behind schedule I had either a 15 minute wait at West Ham for a C2C to Upminster or tube up there and have a near 15 minute wait back, opted for option 2 which worked fairly well before heading into Central London. 20 Minutes behind my plan having missed KO

I originally had 2 options for when I got to the Bakerloo line depending on wether the 1st train was a H&W or not, however option 2 had gone out the window as I needed to be in the South West corner for 8ish to do KO. As expected the 1st train was a H&W but had to carry on the original plan and stay in Central London.

Up to Cockfosters and straight back to Oakwood before a 21 MINUTE wait for a 307, by the time I got to HB typically another 307 was up our backside, down to Euston and up to Edgware, quick bus to CP with an 8 MINUTE wait for a Northbound Jubilee, this resulting in a longer wait at Stanmore. Down to Baker Street and just missed a Bakerloo by 5 seconds, typically it was a H&W which resulted in another 10 minute wait. 50 Minutes behind having missed KO

Up to Watford, Amersham and Chesham which included an early arrival at Amersham allowing a quick run over to the Chiltern which was helpful. Noticed there seemed to be a few extra services on the Watford branch despite not being in the WTT, wether these were empty/driver training runs I don't know. Down to Harrow and a DB at Ruislip to Acton. Figured it wouldn't be worth running from Chiswick to Gunnersbury and just as well as I just made a 3 minute late Richmond service at Turnham Green. Heading back to Earls Court I figured I'd get there just in time for the 19:45 KO service which ran as scheduled. 80 Minutes behind having at least got KO out the way.

Bus to Hammersmith and after spending a few minutes figuring my way out of the bus station onwards to Edgware Rd. No circle line so at the last second opted for the district which was just as well as a few stops later found they had cancelled the circle, a very quick change onto the picc at Earls Court meant this minor diversion didn't cost anything. Up to KX, Walthamstow and Epping before catching a loop service from Woodford which left 3 minutes EARLY, luckily I wasn't on the 2 minute connection from Epping, of course this did mean an 8 minute wait at Leytonstone, onto an EB db, West Ruislip with a final run to Ickenham and into Uxbridge. 75 Minutes behind my plan

A cancelled N207 meant a nice late arrival at 2:30 at my hotel. Very much enjoyed the day and very pleased to have got a completion even though its not a great time, looking forward to attempt 3 which may come later this year if not then definitely next.

270 stations, Heathrow Terminal 4 - Uxbridge, 19h 41m 44s
The Orange One
All Zones

Post by The Orange One »

I think we should petition for a 24 hour service on Green Line route 724, which among other things connects Heathrow with Uxbridge, Rickmansworth and Watford Junction. It also goes to Harlow, which could be handy for Rhys.
All London buses: 23 hours 25 minutes (with Adham, David, Josh and Tangy)
Holds some alternative challenge records. Not sure which ones.
20½ Random 15 challenges: 01:58:48 best
That guy who runs those Twitter polls about tube stations and London Boroughs.
tangy
Site Administrator

Post by tangy »

Although the fares on it are pretty high. It's around the 7.00 mark from Heathrow to Ricky!
Adjudicator of the Alternative Challenges and webmaster of the Tube Challenge "Top Times" website at www.explorerticket.co.uk/tubechallenge

This is a Central line train to "Woodford via Hainault"- sadly, not no more!

Tangy.