Broomster's Tube Challenge - 1st Attempt :-)

Let us know about your latest FULL NETWORK CHALLENGE efforts
broomster
Zone 1

Broomster's Tube Challenge - 1st Attempt :-)

Post by broomster »

On 5th November myself and a couple of colleagues attempted the Tube Challenge for the first time - and unfortunately for us, fell 1 station short of a completion.... We'd even managed to get in the Kensington Olympia service as it was an "event day" when we did it... Where we fell foul was Heathrow T4 - which by the time we hit the branch after midnight had closed.... (the only other one we didn't do was Edgware Road on the Bakerloo which is a long term closure anyway... though we did pass through at 5mph so if it was open it would have been done..)

We started at 05:22:37 at Amersham and finished at 01:01:12 at Heathrow T5.. A thouroughly enjoyable experience which will be repeated next year at some point :-)

For our route - please visit http://broomster.blogspot.co.uk/2013/11/blog-post.html

We made a complete balls up of the plans pretty early in the day - heading up to Harrow and Wealdstone on the Bakerloo from Baker Street - when the original plan was to do Stanmore on the Jubilee - by the time we realised we'd screwed up we were halfway up the Bakerloo.. I'm pretty sure that rewriting our plan cost us at least an hour in time... I'm not listening to my colleage Chris next time lol.

I'm pretty sure that we can get a completion next time - it's just a case of planning it for an event day.....

I've raised almost £1k for Singleton Hospital's Neonatal Unit - something I'm very proud of :-)
http://www.justgiving.com/broomster
A2
Zone 4

Re: Broomster's Tube Challenge - 1st Attempt :-)

Post by A2 »

broomster wrote:the only other one we didn't do was Edgware Road on the Bakerloo which is a long term closure anyway... though we did pass through at 5mph so if it was open it would have been done..
As I understand it, that counts as you have still 'visited' it and you haven't passed through because you've missed its opening hours (i.e. not your fault, same as a random station closure due to surface events meaning that trains aren't stopping there)
- Andrew
tractakid
The Twilight Zone

Post by tractakid »

Fantastic effort. 1 station short is cruel- but you gotta get to T4 in time. My second completion used the last T4 train of the day, there was great relief when we realised that we definitely would make it!

Anyway- my first attempt was only a 267 and it took me 3 attempts to complete, so you did better than me :)

Best of luck next time.
*insert boasting about notable tube accomplishments here*
broomster
Zone 1

Post by broomster »

tractakid wrote:Fantastic effort. 1 station short is cruel- but you gotta get to T4 in time. My second completion used the last T4 train of the day, there was great relief when we realised that we definitely would make it!

Anyway- my first attempt was only a 267 and it took me 3 attempts to complete, so you did better than me :)

Best of luck next time.
Thanks :-) We're all non Londoners and until this event I'd not done anything outside of zone 2 tube wise .. So everything was a learning experience... I'm pretty sure that based on what we experienced this time, we'll be able to learn from it and I'm pretty sure under 19hrs is possible for us.. My original plan seemed on paper more efficient but I've learned that its all dependant on how you handle changes on the day too...

Lurking in here gave me a good insight to what tho expect.. Now I've had an attempt I feel comfortable enough to post :-D