Attempts on 30th Nov and / or 14th Dec

Let us know about your latest FULL NETWORK CHALLENGE efforts
perficad
Zone 1

Attempts on 30th Nov and / or 14th Dec

Post by perficad »

Hi there

We are going to attempt the challenge for the first time in November / Dec when according to the TFL Journey planner a full service is operating every Saturday ( I assume for Christmas shopping, no engineering works )
Also Olympia trains are supposed to be running frequently these dates

A couple of questions surrounding this if any experts here happen to know the answers..

1. Is this true it will be a full service on Saturdays?
2. Do Guiness count weekend attempts? I read somewhere they do not, which seems a bit bizarre fi the whole network is open.
3. Any more info on the fabled Olympia services..

Our route of course is secret ;)

Thanks!
Completed the Tube Challenge - 25th Apr 2014 - 270 stations in 19hours, 15 mins
The Orange One
All Zones

Re: Attempts on 30th Nov and / or 14th Dec

Post by The Orange One »

Guinness do NOT count Saturday attempts because they do not understand us. Other people (like us on the forum and Geoff's website) will count them though.

So, it depends if you're highly materialistic or not.
All London buses: 23 hours 25 minutes (with Adham, David, Josh and Tangy)
Holds some alternative challenge records. Not sure which ones.
20½ Random 15 challenges: 01:58:48 best
That guy who runs those Twitter polls about tube stations and London Boroughs.
tubeguru
Site Administrator

Post by tubeguru »

The Orange One wrote:So, it depends if you're highly materialistic or not.
Well you can trot that one out if you wish, but if someone beats the record on a Saturday no one will care, as Guinness won't be able to confirm it as official.
One thing only do I know, and that is that I know nothing - Socrates.

Champion of bugger all, 2004 to 2022
Member of sweet FA
perficad
Zone 1

Post by perficad »

Thanks for the quick reply!

We have a put in a lot of preparation, although waiting for our computer (travelling salesman style) programme to be ready, and the 30th Nov seems like the perfect first possible date.

However given there are a whole myriad of things that could go wrong, and its my first attempt, I don't think Guiness not recognising it shouuld put me off, as no doubt a whole wealth of knowledge will be learned from the first run

My second point re Kensington Olympia, the usual daily 19:45 train, what is everyones experience of this train running - is it often cancelled? I have seen it on the tube status boards a few times

:D
tractakid
The Twilight Zone

Post by tractakid »

Screw Guinness. Incapable bunch.

On a more positive note, best of luck with your attempt! Weekends have the best Olympia service of the lot with 3tph.

Bad thing about weekends is that there is no peak time service, which can sometimes reduce waiting times. But for most of the day it's the same.

The tube might be 100% open, but you might want to check other rail connections such as Overground, to make sure they are running too.
*insert boasting about notable tube accomplishments here*
tubeguru
Site Administrator

Post by tubeguru »

tractakid wrote:Screw Guinness. Incapable bunch.
This is what I mean - we're all quick to moan to Guinness about their "uselessness" in confirming anything, but the truth is that it is only their officially-ratified records that anyone ever refers to when discussing who has gone fastest.

If I went out and did a record-breaking FNC tomorrow, but refused to submit to Guinness, would you all believe me if I went on about it for years afterwards? I very much doubt it.

Member of sweet FA
tubeguru
Site Administrator

Post by tubeguru »

This is what I mean - we're all quick to moan to Guinness about their "uselessness" in confirming anything, but the truth is that it is only their officially-ratified records that anyone ever refers to when discussing who has gone fastest.

If I went out and did a record-breaking FNC tomorrow, but refused to submit to Guinness, would you all believe me if I went on about it for years afterwards? I very much doubt it.

Member of sweet FA
tractakid
The Twilight Zone

Post by tractakid »

Well, considering its you i'd struggle to believe it (seeing as you seem to have no interest in riding round the tube any more), but i'd be very happy to accept the new fastest time as legit if it didn't have Guinness verification. I would never go to Guinness, but I'd still like to be the fastest. (like that'll happen, haha)
perficad
Zone 1

Post by perficad »

lol. tractakid - have you had many attempts at this yourself? If so where have the main challenges been en-route?

Cheers for the advice about weekend running of other train services, I have double checked the 30th at least, and seems ok :)
The Orange One
All Zones

Post by The Orange One »

To people with experience of this: Do you have to tell Guinness beforehand? What happens if you break the record on a practice run? You know how hard it is to get a record even if you have a record-breaking route so it could be several years until you get the record again.
All London buses: 23 hours 25 minutes (with Adham, David, Josh and Tangy)
Holds some alternative challenge records. Not sure which ones.
20½ Random 15 challenges: 01:58:48 best
That guy who runs those Twitter polls about tube stations and London Boroughs.
tractakid
The Twilight Zone

Post by tractakid »

perficad wrote:lol. tractakid - have you had many attempts at this yourself? If so where have the main challenges been en-route?

Cheers for the advice about weekend running of other train services, I have double checked the 30th at least, and seems ok :)
5 attempts, three completions. Best time 17:18:18.

Biggest physical challenge is running and stair/escalator climbing. I find going up stairs faster than going down but it murders your legs- take it easier on stairs before a long run definitely.

Mentally, both beforehand and during- route planning and re-routing when it goes wrong!

The easy bit is sitting down on a D stock to or from Upminster. Relax.
Going Underground
The Twilight Zone

Post by Going Underground »

You wont get a GWR on a Saturday even if you get around in a new fastest time...
Twice former full network GWR holder and former Zone 1 Olympic and World Record holder with The Raven and Soupie
Tube personality of the year 2009
Twice Winter Olympic Biathlon Gold Medalist with The Beer Baron
2008 All Lines Olympic Gold
palkanetoijala31

Post by palkanetoijala31 »

tubeguru wrote:

they seemed to have confirmed the latest record in a very quick time what was it less than 6 weeks!
palkanetoijala31

Post by palkanetoijala31 »

The Orange One wrote:To people with experience of this: Do you have to tell Guinness beforehand? What happens if you break the record on a practice run? You know how hard it is to get a record even if you have a record-breaking route so it could be several years until you get the record again.
well that is if your name is geoff some of us only took 16,10,36 days to get back and before anybody asks i havent had a serious attempts at getting it back yet since
mrredrunner100
Zone 3

Post by mrredrunner100 »

The Orange One wrote:To people with experience of this: Do you have to tell Guinness beforehand? What happens if you break the record on a practice run? You know how hard it is to get a record even if you have a record-breaking route so it could be several years until you get the record again.

Does anyone know what happens if this happens because me and my friend have been wondering about this?
Best FNC time
18:10:37 :)