Attempts on 30th Nov and / or 14th Dec

Let us know about your latest FULL NETWORK CHALLENGE efforts
kateyay
Zone 3

Re: Attempts on 30th Nov and / or 14th Dec

Post by kateyay »

mrredrunner100 wrote: Does anyone know what happens if this happens because me and my friend have been wondering about this?
You'll not need to inform them beforehand, but you will need to ensure that you get the correct information to prove that you made the attempt, so something that conclusively proves that you were at all stations when you said you would be.

Various challengers use different methods: log books charting arrival and departure time with train numbers, time and date stamped photos, videos with the day's newspaper and you arriving/departing a location, witness statements, and so on. You'll need to submit this all to Guinness to prove that the record actually happened (and be prepared for them to contact you for further information to verify the claim!)

You'd also be wise to get an independent person to verify the start time and finish time (eg have someone else with you when you start and end). Essentially, if you can't prove that you got the record to the degree that Guinness want, they won't be able to verify your attempt. Bizarrely they also don't recognise attempts made on a weekend, but there are a couple of historical threads about that as well!

It might also be worth bearing in mind that the Met Line currently operates a Leaf Fall timetable, so trains are slower and take longer (and depart earlier).

From previous experience of challenging in late December, you will come across christmas shoppers and drunken revellers, all whom might cause delays!

Best of luck - let us know how it goes!
Nigel
Zone 5

Post by Nigel »

kateyay wrote:
You'll not need to inform them beforehand, but you will need to ensure that you get the correct information to prove that you made the attempt, so something that conclusively proves that you were at all stations when you said you would be.
Ideally though, you should register your intention to tackle this record with Guinness via their website. It takes them a while to respond, but they should then send you their current rules for the challenge and confirm what is the current record (as well as trying to sell you additional services, such as providing an official adjudicator for an extortionate fee). They will then also give you a unique reference number, which should be used if you put in a claim to have broken the record - having this in advance should speed things up. This reference number can also be used for any enquiries you may wish to make about the record or the rules - however, don't expect a speedy response to these. Why don't you register and ask them again about an attempt on a Saturday, pointing out that all the stations will be open on certain dates? I suspect you will get the same answer as I did when I asked them last year. Bear in mind that if you do do a Saturday attempt, Cannon Street closes at 1930 on Saturdays, and that a pass-through when closed is not acceptable.
perficad
Zone 1

Post by perficad »

Thanks for all the replies.

I'm still going for these two Saturdays, and don't expect to get a GWR on my first attempt.

Couple of other questions ..
Is Cannon Street open Saturdays? (edit - sorry I see you answered this above)
Does anyone know what date Edgware Road Bakerloo line re-opens?
Is the Goodge Street reverse still popular with tube challengers (and taking a photo on the bench!) ?
or is this no longer considered a good route
Completed the Tube Challenge - 25th Apr 2014 - 270 stations in 19hours, 15 mins
The Orange One
All Zones

Post by The Orange One »

You have been reading Geoff's website. No, it is not necessary to take a picture on the bench.
All London buses: 23 hours 25 minutes (with Adham, David, Josh and Tangy)
Holds some alternative challenge records. Not sure which ones.
20½ Random 15 challenges: 01:58:48 best
That guy who runs those Twitter polls about tube stations and London Boroughs.
perficad
Zone 1

Post by perficad »

haha. I think I saw that here:

http://www.tuberelief.co.uk/howtodoit.htm

My route is coming together but still having issues with Zone 1 - there seems to be too many back tracks, and too many changes of train, which are costing time.
My biggest headache is the whole Southwark / Lambeth North / Borough business
palkanetoijala31

Post by palkanetoijala31 »

perficad wrote:haha. I think I saw that here:

http://www.tuberelief.co.uk/howtodoit.htm

My route is coming together but still having issues with Zone 1 - there seems to be too many back tracks, and too many changes of train, which are costing time.
My biggest headache is the whole Southwark / Lambeth North / Borough business
that site is well out of date and if u want a guinness world record best not to take advice from it!

the simple easiest thing to do is pick a start and finish place then tie up ends like high barnet to cockfosters etc and be realistic about how fast u can make those connections

regards to southwark lambeth north borough all 3 of those are easy to pick personally southwark db is probably the best way to do it
perficad
Zone 1

Post by perficad »

yeah don't worry, definately not using that site as a guide!! though it came up in one of my many searches.

what's db?

so far the fastest time i have on paper is around 17 hours, still some work to go!
palkanetoijala31

perficad wrote:yeah don't worry, definately not using that site as a guide!! though it came up in one of my many searches.

what's db?

so far the fastest time i have on paper is around 17 hours, still some work to go!
db slang for double back come in westbound jub go straight back out eastbound
xp cross platform

the easiest of those 3 if say u coming in southbound bakerloo from waterloo in order to do those 3 stations u have following options

carry on from lambeth north into e&c connection is very easy to northbound northern or u double back to waterloo buts its a long run over to the jub platforms

i know which i prefer to do!
perficad
Zone 1

Post by perficad »

yes that all makes sense about Southwark. Done the Jub - Other lines walk at Waterloo many times in the past and its a long way!

I assume Kennington is also a good db in that case to head south to Morden

cheers for your advice
Iain
All Zones

Post by Iain »

You can do the db either way - up from Stockwell to Kennington or down to Oval from E&C. Or the intermediate option. Since you're likely to go up to Victoria if you're coming up the Northern from Morden, you can vary the db to synchronise with a circle line train to take out Aldgate :)
Full Network: Three completions, Best time: 17:18:18 - thanks Glen, Andrew and Rhys!
Former DLR 45 station record holder (with Glen, Andi and Stevo) - 2h:08m:57s
All lines: 46:11 (6th equal)
Zone One 2:52:51 (thanks Glen)
perficad
Zone 1

Post by perficad »

thanks Iain!

Does anyone know if the turnaround at Watford and Harrow & Wealdstone in 1 minute is done by the same train? or do the trains hold there for 10 - 15 mins?
palkanetoijala31

its usually a differant train although once our driver at watford actually ran back down the train and was back out in 2 mins flat!
perficad
Zone 1

Post by perficad »

I can see Watford will be a major key pin in the whole challenge as trains only every 15 mins. if miss one here, almost makes the rest of it un-doable in a decent time..
palkanetoijala31

it might be a key pin in your route some people are more sceptical of watford and allow more minutes to change there my personal hate is uxbridge always will be
Urzzz1871
Zone 5

Post by Urzzz1871 »

Ah Watford.........On our first attempt our 1 minute Watford "connection" passed us going south just after we pulled away from the platform at Croxley.
2 attempts
2 completions
(Not getting much quicker)