SAMS ATTEMPT

Let us know about your latest FULL NETWORK CHALLENGE efforts
tubeguru
Site Administrator

Re: SAMS ATTEMPT

Post by tubeguru »

Nigel wrote:
tubeguru wrote:Well, I'm glad we got to the bottom of this gross miscarriage of justice. The country will sleep easier tonight.
Absolutely. Just proves that the millions spent on the Leveson inquiry was a waste of money, as the PCC does a great job tackling the really important press transgressions.
Yeah, those really important press transgressions - the hounding of Princess Diana, the libelling of politicians in the Sunday red-tops, and the heinous mis-reporting of the fastest time taken to visit all the DLR stations in one day.
One thing only do I know, and that is that I know nothing - Socrates.

Champion of bugger all, 2004 to 2022
Member of sweet FA
tractakid
The Twilight Zone

Post by tractakid »

I wouldn't have killed myself if it hadn't been corrected, but it's good to see that the infrastructure is there do deal with such errors.
*insert boasting about notable tube accomplishments here*
Nigel
Zone 5

Post by Nigel »

The Press Complaints Commission's note of this major press transgression is now on-line here:
http://www.pcc.org.uk/news/index.html?article=ODYxNQ==
Iain
All Zones

Post by Iain »

I find the phrase "We are happy to set the record straight." a tad disingenuous when they neglected to do so in spite of being informed of the inaccuracies by several sources, and have only done so once the PCC were involved.
Full Network: Three completions, Best time: 17:18:18 - thanks Glen, Andrew and Rhys!
Former DLR 45 station record holder (with Glen, Andi and Stevo) - 2h:08m:57s
All lines: 46:11 (6th equal)
Zone One 2:52:51 (thanks Glen)
samgunner
Zone 1

Post by samgunner »

Hello,

Sorry for the delay in replying have only just been notified of this and wish to clear a few things up:

The DLR Challenge:
In early February 2013 the DLR made a facebook update saying "The tube Challenge has been done, who want's to do a DLR Challenge" to which I replied online that me and a friend would be willing to. We were in contact with the DLR's PR management who organised for us to have Free DLR Only tickets and to publicise it as we had our own channel on YouTube and were the only one's willing to do updates during the day. The route was mapped out for us already as was some of the publicity, me and Matt chose the content of the videos however the press were contacted by DLR's PR management. Myself and Matt would like to apologise to the hurt that has been caused, we are not after any glory, we didn't know the DLR Challenge had been done before the DLR themselves were un-aware of any challenges being attempted! We took it as a given that they would have done research into this! (And have given us a better route!).

The day after we attempted the Tube Challenge (3rd attempt) which we failed miserably (Which we admit I believe in our starting video / trailer for this we mention the current record being around the 16 hours and that we are still incapable of doing it in 19!) so we are not after any glory, only wanting to make videos people would be interested in watching (For anyone who wants to know we had 4 recharge packs and 2 Cellular iPad minis with 2 iPhone's to upload during the day) We started from Wembley Park as it's the furthest North (Near the Chesham Amersham headache) as we could get via Night Bus as the funds for staying in Chesham were unfeasible for an attempt (Grandparents live in Leytonstone so stayed with them and started the clock at Wembley Park) We're hoping to improve on this and actually complete it in one day, As for the record we are way off of it so no worries there! We're still working on planning though and are learning things day by day!

I would wish to apologise for any hurt this has obviously been caused by this mix up, sadly as I have just started University I have been unable to keep on top of other things (hence the delay)! We did not set out to intentionally take any record's from anyone! My reasons behind doing the challenge were that I was born and lived in London til' I was 10. I have a fascination with the London Underground (All trains in fact) and to me the challenge is one that has been fun and brought myself and a friend together, we are both interested in media too so took an element of that with us.

I hope this apology and the reasons why things were eskew (Including the terrible route we were provided) go some way to making amends as I would like to join the Tube Challenge community as it is something I enjoy doing if not get frustrated by planning! I am building a website for my "Lime Live" media works and there is a section called Tube Challenge which I will under DLR Challenge post the current fastest time (as will with the Tube challenge).

Thank you, if anyone want's to ask anything or reply send me an inbox or reply publicly under this and I will do my absolute best to reply as soon as I can
tractakid
The Twilight Zone

Post by tractakid »

Hey Sam! Welcome to the forum. It's great to see you taking part in the hobby!

I genuinely believe that most of the dismay was aimed at the newspaper reporting. They reported something that we knew wasn't true, and it was clear they hadn't checked their facts. Trouble is, the DLR challenge is done on an unofficial, trust basis, indeed, everything except the current record for Full Network London and New York challenges is unofficial. Guinness don't keep a leaderboard, which they wouldn't accept trust based times to anyway. This community is the only hub of information that exists- Tangy tracks times on his website here: http://www.explorerticket.co.uk/tubechallenge/ and Full Network times are kept by Nigel on the forum, here: http://tubeforum.co.uk/forum/index.php? ... =viewtopic

So, to be honest, if I was a journalist I would doubt going with the story due to the unverifiability of the information.

Anyway- no need to dwell on the issue any longer. Go back out there armed with a travelcard and your own route and go and beat Nigel's time!

As for getting to Chesham or any other extremity to start a tube challenge, I have been fortunate and managed to get a lift for each one of my 5 attempts. I do have a back up plan though- living in Milton Keynes I can get the 0330 train to Watford, from which I can bus to Rickmansworth in time for a train in and then back out from Chesham to start a challenge.
Nigel
Zone 5

Post by Nigel »

Sam thanks for clarifying the situation regarding your attempt. I hope you find time to have another go at the DLR with a route that you think may be more efficient. Best of luck with it.

As Tractakid said above, a major cause of annoyance for me was being ignored by one of the two newspapers who carried the story after they were supplied with further information by myself and others about the DLR challenge.
The Orange One
All Zones

Post by The Orange One »

Welcome to the forum! I think the most interesting part of what you've said is that the DLR supports, well, DLR Challenging. Unlike, famously, LUL and Tube Challenging.

Not doing the Gallions Reach (or Beckton) - King George V run was the main problem with your route - this saves so much time. Even if you arrive at King George V and run slap bang into the closing doors meaning a 10 minute wait (if only that hadn't happened to me).

May I suggest a Zone 1 Challenge - either on the day in May, or on your own? There is a plethora of Alternative Challenges scheduled during the year, so if your holiday coincides with one of the days (one of the R15s or the Park Challenge comes to mind), come down and join in the fun.
All London buses: 23 hours 25 minutes (with Adham, David, Josh and Tangy)
Holds some alternative challenge records. Not sure which ones.
20½ Random 15 challenges: 01:58:48 best
That guy who runs those Twitter polls about tube stations and London Boroughs.
samgunner
Zone 1

Post by samgunner »

First off would like to thank you for your understanding! We weren't allowed to leave the network and had a route given to us from above so we couldn't change it!

I can't wait to get back into London, will be using most of my Uni Holiday to be in London visiting interchanges recording how long it takes to change between all lines and various passenger flow, we're going in with a detailed plan this time, also some out of network running's and some bus routes. Would like to keep you up to date if interested! :) Trying to build loads of data from scratch, given up on the idea of starting from Chesham or Amersham! the lift to Rickmansworth would be a god send! Read up on a Heathrow start, will also be investigating how to eliminate "turnback time" and heighten the amount of cross platform interchanges instead of up stairs and around corners, will probably attempt in the Easter break. Hoping to at least finish it and at some point in my life beat the record, (Maybe I stand a chance about 1000 tries later!)
tractakid
The Twilight Zone

Post by tractakid »

samgunner wrote:First off would like to thank you for your understanding! We weren't allowed to leave the network and had a route given to us from above so we couldn't change it!

I can't wait to get back into London, will be using most of my Uni Holiday to be in London visiting interchanges recording how long it takes to change between all lines and various passenger flow, we're going in with a detailed plan this time, also some out of network running's and some bus routes. Would like to keep you up to date if interested! :) Trying to build loads of data from scratch, given up on the idea of starting from Chesham or Amersham! the lift to Rickmansworth would be a god send! Read up on a Heathrow start, will also be investigating how to eliminate "turnback time" and heighten the amount of cross platform interchanges instead of up stairs and around corners, will probably attempt in the Easter break. Hoping to at least finish it and at some point in my life beat the record, (Maybe I stand a chance about 1000 tries later!)
Heathrow is a great start option too. More flexible than Chesham too- you can use it year round and can guarantee Olympia. Also gives you the most time to play with to score a completion.

Wembley Park... nope. Don't do that. :P
palkanetoijala31

Post by palkanetoijala31 »

tractakid wrote:
samgunner wrote:First off would like to thank you for your understanding! We weren't allowed to leave the network and had a route given to us from above so we couldn't change it!

Heathrow is a great start option too. More flexible than Chesham too- you can use it year round and can guarantee Olympia. Also gives you the most time to play with to score a completion.

Wembley Park... nope. Don't do that. :P
i dont think he means start at wembley park but i have managed to get there for the first trains from chesham,chalfont and amersham
Iain
All Zones

Post by Iain »

I certainly never bore any ill will towards you guys - just thought the newspapers were being silly :)

Welcome to the forum!
Full Network: Three completions, Best time: 17:18:18 - thanks Glen, Andrew and Rhys!
Former DLR 45 station record holder (with Glen, Andi and Stevo) - 2h:08m:57s
All lines: 46:11 (6th equal)
Zone One 2:52:51 (thanks Glen)
The Orange One
All Zones

Post by The Orange One »

Sorry to resurrect a ghost - but I bumped into this.

http://www.holdthefrontpage.co.uk/2013/ ... -straight/
All London buses: 23 hours 25 minutes (with Adham, David, Josh and Tangy)
Holds some alternative challenge records. Not sure which ones.
20½ Random 15 challenges: 01:58:48 best
That guy who runs those Twitter polls about tube stations and London Boroughs.
Nigel
Zone 5

Post by Nigel »

palkanetoijala31 wrote:that just shows you what a brilliant journalist they were didn't even think to check out the facts I wonder whom actually did the first attempt?
To give credit where it is due, Diamond Geezer has a blog post today http://diamondgeezer.blogspot.co.uk/201 ... pping.html in which he praises the investigative journalism of the East London Advertiser. Glad to see that their standards have improved!
palkanetoijala31

Post by palkanetoijala31 »

i wonder how sams latest attempt on valentines day went starting from cockfosters never have i heard a weirder starting station unless you live in cockfosters