Nigel's Tube 6 25/8/12

Let us know about your latest FULL NETWORK CHALLENGE efforts
Nigel
Zone 5

Re: Nigel's Tube 6 25/8/12

Post by Nigel »

The Raven wrote:Does this mean that with the powers of transportation, perfect schedule and no delays a time of 9h49m would be possible?
Just need to find a few wormholes in the spacetime fabric to assist with this though.
tractakid
The Twilight Zone

Post by tractakid »

I think a more realistic way to approach that figure is to attempt a class B record. I have heard a ballpark figure of 13 hours predicted...
*insert boasting about notable tube accomplishments here*
The Raven
All Zones

Post by The Raven »

tractakid wrote:I think a more realistic way to approach that figure is to attempt a class B record. I have heard a ballpark figure of 13 hours predicted...
"Class B" what would require?
Go Pack Go!
One of the New York Six
Former holder of Zone One, Overground and DLR record
tractakid
The Twilight Zone

Post by tractakid »

Class B permits the use of private transportation, while still needing every tube stop to be visited by tube train. No getting round Olympia having a terrible service i'm afraid. Although, a long time ago an overground may have been permitted, judging by the history on Geoff's site... then again, no one has attempted a class B in a very long time, so are the rules actually defined now a days?
Cheshire Cat
Zone 2

Post by Cheshire Cat »

Good luck trying to get Guiness to recognise a Class B, giventheir repsonse to most other challenge related correspondence! I got the impression from Geoff's site (and others) that only the Class A is now recognised, but maybe it is just that Class B has fallen into disuse.

Either way, looking at Nigel's figures, your 13 hours still sounds optimistic. You would still need to travel on (and wait for) the tube. You could eliminate the Outer London double-backs eg Cockfosters - Oakwood, but there wouldn't be any advantage using a car for, say, Sloane Sq-Victoria, would there? And yes, the car woudl be quicker than the bus or running, but it's still going to get snarled up in the traffic.

Halving the time for buses and runs and keeping two thirds of the double back time gives a schedule of around 14½ hours.
Metrolink 91 stations 6:27:01
FNC: 18:48:00
tractakid
The Twilight Zone

Post by tractakid »

Class B isn't and won't be recognised by Guinness. That figure also wasn't mine, I was quoting it. I don't know how much the figure was based on calculation or pure estimation.
Iain
All Zones

Post by Iain »

I'd be surprised if 13 hours were possible as a class B, even if you cut the transport time to zero (which of course it never would be) then you'd still have a lot of non-productive time that you can't realistically get rid of. Most double backs are double backs for a reason, and although with zero time taken this would change, realistically the time isn't zero.

We've used the U1 bus to avoid the West Ruislip/Ickenham run and it works okay but still doesn't save time unless you're unlucky with train times. Car might help a bit I guess but I'd say you'd still have a time well over 14 hours if not 15
Full Network: Three completions, Best time: 17:18:18 - thanks Glen, Andrew and Rhys!
Former DLR 45 station record holder (with Glen, Andi and Stevo) - 2h:08m:57s
All lines: 46:11 (6th equal)
Zone One 2:52:51 (thanks Glen)
tractakid
The Twilight Zone

Post by tractakid »

palkanetoijala31

Post by palkanetoijala31 »

I think ur answer is simple go to NEW YORK try out that instead.
tractakid
The Twilight Zone

Post by tractakid »

Whats that got to do with anything?
andytube
Zone 2

Post by andytube »

Are we not allowed to use overground trains?
Current best: 19:51:10 (2014). Hopefully that will be broken in 2018 :-)
geofftech
All Zones

Post by geofftech »

But with a car you could do so many things that you would never consider on a normal challenge. e.g. Heathrow to Uxbridge -> nice and fast if someone is waiting in a car for you.

You could also get a private lift between Chesham and Amersham either in the morning, or at the end. You could also drive between Rickmansworth and Croxley and have no change at Moor Park and be a whole train up - there's so many places like that where'd you'd make up a train - and then obviously you'd drive between Epping and Upminster (or vice versa), yes.

The 13 hour quote might have come from me! Maybe i'll have to go and try it one day ...
tractakid
The Twilight Zone

Post by tractakid »

geofftech wrote:The 13 hour quote might have come from me! Maybe i'll have to go and try it one day ...
It did indeed come from you :)

I think one of the challenges with class B is one of logistics and generosity- extra people are required to be organised all around London, and also need to be free and give their time. They will also need to adapt- in the plan they may be given a morning timing, when a last minute decision might end up meaning the lift is needed 7 hours later!

Then there's also an issue of morals- do you break the speed limit while driving in order to make an earlier train?!
MylesHSG
Zone 5

Post by MylesHSG »

Breaking the speed limit isn't a case of morals....its whether its safe to do so.
The King is back! Long live The King!
hopeful traveller
All Zones

Post by hopeful traveller »

MylesHSG wrote:Breaking the speed limit isn't a case of morals....its whether its safe to do so.
Anarchist.
1 FNC Completion (PB: 17:18:18 with G Bryant, A Chilcraft, I MacNaughton)
4 Zone Ones (PB: 03:00:35 with G Bryant)
15 R15s (PB: 01:55:48 with T Cooling and R Jackson)
11 All Lines (PB: 00:44:03)
Winner of the 2014 Formula 1 Side Competition