15/06/2012 Carwyn's 1st Attempt

Let us know about your latest FULL NETWORK CHALLENGE efforts
tractakid
The Twilight Zone

Re: 15/06/2012 Carwyn's 1st Attempt

Post by tractakid »

So, my PB is better than yours by a grand total of West Harrow. :-D You did do better than me though- I ran out of trains- I didn't have to worry about public transport to get home. I was on the very last train to Cheese Ham.

Interesting to see your route- You've made me reconsider how I tackle the Uxbridge area.
I do think you need to reconsider how to tackle the Victoria line- it seems like you do every single station south of KKSP twice, which seems a waste.

Very well done though, it has many similarities to my first attempt. HSK going down after its been done, and no major problems all day, but missing the Watford and Amersham branches. Lets hope your 2nd attempt isn't as disastrous as mine was!
*insert boasting about notable tube accomplishments here*
palkanetoijala31

Post by palkanetoijala31 »

Why dont the two of you team up together for your next attempt?Allthough i didnt even read the route planned what interested me most was staying in Cranfield Travelodge the night before?WHY?
Iain
All Zones

Post by Iain »

Our route from the end of May is available if you want to see how we did the Vic line, although we did change from our plan on the day that bit is pretty much as planned. We got Warren Street and Euston while doing the Northern line, Oxford Circus on the Bakerloo, and Green Park on the Picc, as well as Victoria on the Circle/Dist.

I did a couple of attempts on my own, I enjoy it much more doing it with a team mate so it would be worth considering Andi's idea, plus you get to share ideas and knowledge
Full Network: Three completions, Best time: 17:18:18 - thanks Glen, Andrew and Rhys!
Former DLR 45 station record holder (with Glen, Andi and Stevo) - 2h:08m:57s
All lines: 46:11 (6th equal)
Zone One 2:52:51 (thanks Glen)
Adelante_CCT
Zone 1

Post by Adelante_CCT »

Of course I will be looking at ways of improving, the Vic line was one section that I was trying to improve on, however I felt by not going through central London it compromised other parts of my route. I will be trying to improve on this route for any future attempts, however this won't be for a while as the missus is having our 2nd child next month and we're moving in a fortnight, but as soon as I can I will be out to try attempt no. 2.

The reason I chose Cranford was because it was the cheapest hotel I could find for 2 nights in a row that was close to Heathrow which is where I wanted to start my challenge. I wanted to stay there the night after as well as I didn't want to carry excess baggage around with me (such as clothes from the day before/for the day after).
Whether I would stay at that hotel again I don't know, in terms of the challenge it seemed like a fairly sensible cheap option for me.
Nigel
Zone 5

Post by Nigel »

Adelante_CCT wrote: The reason I chose Cranford was because it was the cheapest hotel I could find for 2 nights in a row that was close to Heathrow which is where I wanted to start my challenge.
I've found that the Ibis budget (previously Etap) hotel in Hounslow is usually fairly cheap, and only a short walk from Hounslow Central station. It also has the advantage that it usually costs only a few pounds more to make a booking which can be cancelled at no penalty up until lunchtime on the day. So on a couple of occasions when things have gone wrong early on, I managed to abort without having to pay for a hotel.
palkanetoijala31

Post by palkanetoijala31 »

Nigel wrote:
Adelante_CCT wrote: The reason I chose Cranford was because it was the cheapest hotel I could find for 2 nights in a row that was close to Heathrow which is where I wanted to start my challenge.
I've found that the Ibis budget (previously Etap) hotel in Hounslow is usually fairly cheap, and only a short walk from Hounslow Central station. It also has the advantage that it usually costs only a few pounds more to make a booking which can be cancelled at no penalty up until lunchtime on the day. So on a couple of occasions when things have gone wrong early on, I managed to abort without having to pay for a hotel.
travelodge are ok if u pay well in advance u can get them quite cheap i do find that a lot of hotels in slough are quite good especially the skylark!.
Adelante_CCT
Zone 1

Post by Adelante_CCT »

@ Nigel, thank you for the advice, I didn't know about that hotel, what the price would have been for those two nights I just stayed I don't know, although the £23/night I paid at Travelodge didn't seem to bad.
Nigel
Zone 5

Post by Nigel »

Adelante_CCT wrote:@ Nigel, thank you for the advice, I didn't know about that hotel, what the price would have been for those two nights I just stayed I don't know, although the £23/night I paid at Travelodge didn't seem to bad.
As with all hotels these days, the price seems to vary according to what night you want and when you book it. I've not normally paid above about £36, so it may be a bit more expensive than yours. (One tip: if you are staying after a challenge and don't have to leave before dawn, don't bother booking breakfast in advance. Each time I've stayed there I've had breakfast & told them about it, but their express checkout system seems to have no means for charging you for it :wink: )