Cheshire Cat comes to town 2/6/12

Let us know about your latest FULL NETWORK CHALLENGE efforts
Cheshire Cat
Zone 2

Cheshire Cat comes to town 2/6/12

Post by Cheshire Cat »

After months of poring over WTTs and my A to Z, and browsing this forum of course, I finally had a day completely free of commitments last Saturday, so I headed down the M6 for my first FNC attempt.

This is all going to sound very amateurish compared to all the experts on here. All the pieces to enable me to do this didn’t fall into place until Thursday, so I couldn’t JP my route. I hadn’t even had chance to buy a stopwatch! Perhaps I should have postponed it or just had a day finding door positions &c, but chances to come to London are rare and I was desperate to try this and find out how it works in reality: Were my interchange times accurate? Could I make the on-foots quicker than planned? (This is very firmly a WALKING route. I was never exactly Linford Christie even in my youth and these days I’m built for comfort, not speed, but I hoped to do a brisk walk or even Scout’s Pace - 50 paces walking followed by 40 paces running). Above all, what happens when it all goes pear shaped?

Route was Edgware – Stanmore. Yes, I know it’s a bit unusual, but it’s the easiest access from the M1 and I wanted to do it in a day from Cheshire. Start was 06:26, an hour later than planned. Early stages went well, with top of the Met going far better than I had a right to expect and I got a ride on an A Stock (always liked these – the only grown-up trains on the tube). Liked the S Stock more than I expected to. Disliked Moor Park: narrow platforms, no DMIs, only a ladies’ loo that I could find, unless the gents is on the (closed) fast platforms. Things unravelled a bit at Edgware Rd. I dithered between 2 pelicans on the Marylebone Rd and was near neither when the lights changed! No trains at all shown at ER and announcer warned of ‘incident on track near Kings Cross,” so I got on first train that came in and reversed my route. Had a long wait for MHE. We were held for ages outside East Finchley, with Sonia repeatedly intoning: “This train is ready to depart. Mind the doors” Could I have caught the earlier shuttle if we hadn’t stopped for so long? Not sure, but think we might have. Momentarily puzzled by juxtaposition of road and rail at High Barnet, expecting to have to catch bus in opposite direction to reality, not helped by 307 showing wrong destination. Extraordinarily pleased with ease of reversal at Covent Garden, but Holborn passages are rather long. Started to lose heart mid afternoon, with ‘Tube Challenger’s Bottom’ beginning to set in, and I had issues with my feet. A very full bladder did not help (I had an empty bottle with me, but the trains were too full to use it)! Missed an Olympia shuttle because I took valuable seconds trying to decipher the archaic platform indicators at Earls Court. ALL the destinations seemed to be lit up What in the name of Frank Pick are LU playing at, still using such museum pieces in the second decade of the twenty-first century? They must pre-date the formation of London Transport! :evil: Felt better at Leytonstone after a toilet stop and a 3 minute connection into a loop service. Weighed up my options as I travelled back down the Central: I certainly wasn’t going to get 270, so what should I do? Carry on as late as I could before heading for the Jubilee? Miss out some or all of the eastern District so I could head out west? In the end, the lure of sleeping in my own bed got the better of me (I had planned to kip overnight in the back of the car) and at Stratford I swapped to the Jubilee and headed for Stanmore. Final total: 173 stations (including Canons St pass-through) in 12 hrs 48.

Highlight: friendly bus driver who prevented me from getting off a stop early in the rain at Amersham
Lowlight: Platform indicators not showing time of next train at terminals; and especially those light-box thingies at Earls Court!

By and large the day was unremarkable: no really sexy changes (actually most were as sexy as granny’s bloomers, with quite a few just-missed trains), but no major delays either. Immediately afterwards I was very despondent: who was I trying to kid, thinking I could do this? I’m not fit enough and probably lack the ‘killer instinct’ needed for slick changes. A few days later, however and I’m already starting to think about next time. It won’t be for a while (which will give me chance to work on my fitness), but at the very least I want to do the third of the network I missed. I’ll never be a GWR contender, but I want that completion!
Metrolink 91 stations 6:27:01
FNC: 18:48:00
Steeevooo
All Zones

Re: Cheshire Cat comes to town 2/6/12

Post by Steeevooo »

Great write up, and it's great to hear that you seem to have now caught the bug too! Experience is irreplacable, and I'm sure that even doing the shortened day that you did that you will have learnt a great deal. That completion is there waiting for you one day!
Nigel
Zone 5

Post by Nigel »

Cheshire Cat wrote: Disliked Moor Park: narrow platforms, no DMIs, only a ladies’ loo that I could find, unless the gents is on the (closed) fast platforms.
Good to try. Unless things have changed very recently there are gents toilets on the slow platform at Moor Park, entrance on the Southbound side.
Cheshire Cat
Zone 2

Post by Cheshire Cat »

Nigel wrote:
Cheshire Cat wrote: Disliked Moor Park: narrow platforms, no DMIs, only a ladies’ loo that I could find, unless the gents is on the (closed) fast platforms.
Good to try. Unless things have changed very recently there are gents toilets on the slow platform at Moor Park, entrance on the Southbound side.
I did look on the southbound platform. There was a door I suspected might be the gents, but there was no sign!
The Raven
All Zones

Post by The Raven »

Well done!

Practice makes perfect. So long as you start at Chesham, Heathrow, Upminster etc. a completion is always on the cards no matter "if your built for comfort". Hope you get a completion in the future!

There's defiantly a gents at Moor Park I've used them!
Go Pack Go!
One of the New York Six
Former holder of Zone One, Overground and DLR record
snudge27
All Zones

Post by snudge27 »

Handy hint - there are a few places where a strategic bottle-wee can be achieved; namely at termini where trains are usually empty... The MHE shuttle is a particular favourite of mine!
palkanetoijala31

Post by palkanetoijala31 »

Lowlight: Platform indicators not showing time of next train at terminals; and especially those light-box thingies at Earls Court! Hint here ask the good looking brown haired female member of staff very helpful and a right cracker if u say she is gorgeous!.
palkanetoijala31

Why does everyone use toilets at leytonstone use ones at leyton on platform itself and only 1 carriage away from ur perfect door position.
Last edited by palkanetoijala31 on 07 Jun 2012, 21:49, edited 2 times in total.
Cheshire Cat
Zone 2

Post by Cheshire Cat »

I couldn't have lasted until Leyton :?
palkanetoijala31

Er i presume u stopped going eastbound Leyton is stop before? why u would westbound i have no idea?
Sam
The Twilight Zone

Post by Sam »

palkanetoijala31 wrote:Why does everyone use toilets at leytonstone use ones at leyton on platform itself and only 1 carriage away from ur perfect door position.
I use them because that's where the female toilets are ;)
:D First and so far only female solo record holder!! :D

Ze forum's female train driver
Cheshire Cat
Zone 2

Post by Cheshire Cat »

palkanetoijala31 wrote:Er i presume u stopped going eastbound Leyton is stop before? why u would westbound i have no idea?
I was going Eastbound, but had come from Walthamstow, so Leyton was going to be a good few stops further on!
Cheshire Cat
Zone 2

Post by Cheshire Cat »

I meant to say that, somewhere early on (Charing X, maybe?) I heard the announcement: "Complete closure on Waterloo & City, otherwise Good Service all lines." Could someone explain to me how you could have a PARTIAL closure on W&C? Train pulling out of Bank, going halfway and then reversing back again?
geofftech
All Zones

Post by geofftech »

i've once been on a busy train in on the northern line in Zone 1, needing to pee. i'm in carriage three where there are people. so as it headed north to its destination (Edgware/MHE/HB) i worked down the train to the back (carriage 6) where there were only a couple of people, did my business into a bottle and then worked my way back up to where i wanted to be again. People often move carriage to be in the right positions, I moved carriage so that I could wee!

Earls' Court -> you can often do this without looking. If it's a C stock, you know it's going to Wimbledon. If it's a D Stock with passengers, it's going to Richmond/Ealing, and if it's an D-Stock with considerably less passengers (sometimes, empty!) then it's an Olympia train! And don't forget that the District trains have their own DMI's on the side telling you where they're going, I always look out for those...
al
Zone 6

Post by al »

The sign on the Gents door at Moor Park has been missing for a while.

Good effort, though!
Held some Alternative Challenge records for a long time.
Doesn't any more.