tractakid's second go 06/06/12

Let us know about your latest FULL NETWORK CHALLENGE efforts
tractakid
The Twilight Zone

Re: tractakid's second go 06/06/12

Post by tractakid »

Looks like i'll attempt Rayners Lane to North Harrow, Gunnersbury to Chiswick Park then. Seeing as I can now be liberal with mobile usage, i'll keep a twitter going. Should I use a hashtag? It will be @tractakid, most of the tweets on there are automated ones made by xbox-website trueachievements.com. :P
*insert boasting about notable tube accomplishments here*
geofftech
All Zones

Post by geofftech »

Nigel wrote:So in answer to Andi's point, it can be advantageous to do the run, with perfect information, but normally on average it isn't worth it.
every time i've tried it, i've ended up on the same train that you would have got if you'd changed at Woodford. this assumes though that the service pattern is running to time. there's no accounting for (as Nigel says) being held for three minutes, or when you did it Andi, a train in/out of Woodford could have been late, there's no way of knowing now.

what you're looking at though (usually) is doing a run on foot - exertion - where in almost all cases you end up on the same train. and yes, there's the awkward light blue metal footbridge at Buckhurst which doesn't make it as swift as it could be. swings & roundabouts, as per usual. but overall you've done a run that you don't really need to do, and drained some energy.

i'd have to ask though - does that mean you always run between Roding Valley and Buckhurst Hill? no, we know you don't - otherwise you wouldn't be so au fait with the woman that works in the snack bar at Woodford. so even you normally go via Woodford.
Steeevooo
All Zones

Post by Steeevooo »

geofftech wrote: i'd have to ask though - does that mean you always run between Roding Valley and Buckhurst Hill? no, we know you don't - otherwise you wouldn't be so au fait with the woman that works in the snack bar at Woodford. so even you normally go via Woodford.
I didn't think the question was does Andi or anyone else always run between Roding Valley and Buckhurst Hill, just whether it can be advantageous to do so, to which both Andi and Nigel have replied in the affirmative?
Iain
All Zones

Post by Iain »

Isn't the left turn a bit past Halfords? Chiswick Road? I thought it had a Wickes on the corner but now it's saying on StreetView it's a Mini showroom but I don't know how old the pic is.

There's two ways out of Gunnersbury, one is left out of the barriers which is fairly simple and the other is right - it's not that complicated but I'd have a look on the map first. I did measure them out by counting steps and there didn't seem to be anything in it. If in doubt I'd say go with the simpler one (left) but others may have other opinions.

We had a zero minuter at Woodford once coming off the loop, and just made it (thanks to the driver opening the door for us). We had considered the run from RV to BH but I think unless you're a very fast runner (like Andi) you won't get any benefit out of it
Full Network: Three completions, Best time: 17:18:18 - thanks Glen, Andrew and Rhys!
Former DLR 45 station record holder (with Glen, Andi and Stevo) - 2h:08m:57s
All lines: 46:11 (6th equal)
Zone One 2:52:51 (thanks Glen)
palkanetoijala31

Post by palkanetoijala31 »

Hmm there is no attractive cafe girl at Woodford these days South Woodford though might be worth a look!.I have to support somebody going round loop then take the epping train they need whilst getting coffees for them.i only ran that run twice and both times made the connection as it was 0min at woodford and felt worth the risk Good luck on you go on wednesdays hope u make 270.
tractakid
The Twilight Zone

Post by tractakid »

Thanks for the words of encouragement Andi.

any ideas about a twitter hashtag?
palkanetoijala31

Post by palkanetoijala31 »

tractakid wrote:Thanks for the words of encouragement Andi.

any ideas about a twitter hashtag?
why dont u ask geoff if u can use his to the trains
Iain
All Zones

Post by Iain »

I think that's a twitter ID, the hashtag is #spwt I think
Full Network: Three completions, Best time: 17:18:18 - thanks Glen, Andrew and Rhys!
Iain
All Zones

Post by Iain »

I find it quite useful to use StreetViewto visualise a run if I can't get to look at it beforehand
Sam
The Twilight Zone

Post by Sam »

geofftech wrote:Gunnersbury/Chiswick Park is a must! (isn't it?). use the side road, look out for a bus, and turn left at Halfords if coming from Gunnersbury.
Is it really??? If you say so :)

As for Twitter hashtag, just use one that suits you and your attempts rather than stealing someone elses!!
:D First and so far only female solo record holder!! :D

Ze forum's female train driver
geofftech
All Zones

Post by geofftech »

come up with your own hashtag! more fun that way.

i've checked the Central Line timetables again this morning, there's absolutely no advantage in running Buckhurst Hil to Roding Valley vice versa - if the service is running as per the timetable

of course, if the service is up the spout, it might be worth doing and could get you back on track if you were maybe going to be a train down ... depends on how fast you can run it ... (speed is not everything over a whole day, endurance is!)
tractakid
The Twilight Zone

Post by tractakid »

Having never used a hashtag before, I appreciate the advice.

trouble is, I cant think of anything clever or funny.

#tube270

perhaps?
tubeguru
Site Administrator

Post by tubeguru »

#anothertubesaddo?
One thing only do I know, and that is that I know nothing - Socrates.

Champion of bugger all, 2004 to 2022
Member of sweet FA
Sam
The Twilight Zone

Post by Sam »

tubeguru wrote:#anothertubesaddo?
Says the ORIGINAL tube saddo ;)
:D First and so far only female solo record holder!! :D

Ze forum's female train driver
al
Zone 6

Post by al »

They're ten-a-penny these days :wink:
Held some Alternative Challenge records for a long time.
Doesn't any more.