tractakid's second go 06/06/12

Let us know about your latest FULL NETWORK CHALLENGE efforts
tractakid
The Twilight Zone

tractakid's second go 06/06/12

Post by tractakid »

More confident this time, I will once again be at HT4 at 05:02 for the first train. This time, I have a team of my mate Seb and my sister Rachel who will be making the whole journey with me. I have a new route, detailed below. This attempt is raising funds to help my mum visit Uganda in October- be in a team helping a school that takes in children that have been abandoned. If you're gunna be at the Z1 day on friday, any cash donations will be greatfully recieved, if you're both willing and able.

The route looks a bit better than last time, I have greater knowledge of overground changes, and I just recieved an extended mobile battery that I only ordered yesterday! I will take both the extended and normal batteries, which means I get to use my phone a lot more next time. Hopefully, all of these factors will ensure a completion!

let's just hope the tube suffers no line closures!

T4, T123, T5, Baron's Court, West Kensington, Olympia, Edgware Road, Hammersmith, Richmond, Turnham Green, Ealing Broadway, Oxford Circus, Regent's Park, Great Portland Street, Moorgate, Euston, Mill Hill East, Finchley Central, High Barnet, Cockfosters, KKSP, Walthamstow Central, Leytonstone, Woodford (v. H), Epping, Holborn, Russell Sq, Earl's Court, Wimbledon, Morden, Kennington, Stockwell, Brixton, Victoria, Sloane Square, Aldgate, Aldgate East, Upminster, West Ham, London Bridge, Elephant and Castle, Waterloo, Southwark, Waterloo, Edgware, Stanmore, Baker Street, Harrow and Wealdstone, Kenton, Northwick Park, Preston Road, Rayners Lane, North Ealing, Park Royal, Hanger Lane, West Ruislip, Ickenham, Uxbridge, Harrow on the Hill, Watford, Moor Park, Amersham, Chalfont and Latimer, Chesham.
*insert boasting about notable tube accomplishments here*
jbom
Zone 3

Re: tractakid's second go 06/06/12

Post by jbom »

Interesting to post the route in advance.
The Raven
All Zones

Post by The Raven »

Good luck. Hope you get a completion this time and raise money!

May the tube gods smile on you!
Go Pack Go!
One of the New York Six
Former holder of Zone One, Overground and DLR record
palkanetoijala31

Post by palkanetoijala31 »

The Raven wrote:Good luck. Hope you get a completion this time and raise money!

May the tube gods smile on you!
if i made 1 suggestion to a change of route is southwark why not stay on after london bridge then db and then u dont have to change twice!
Iain
All Zones

Post by Iain »

Looks good :)

I'd agree with Andi's suggestion.

Just one thought -as far as I can tell if you're not nicely lined up with a Hainault loop train you can easily do Epping first and then the loop afterwards - I'd check the timings though as you could end up on a worse loop train.

Have fun - are you doing a twitter feed or anything?
Full Network: Three completions, Best time: 17:18:18 - thanks Glen, Andrew and Rhys!
Former DLR 45 station record holder (with Glen, Andi and Stevo) - 2h:08m:57s
All lines: 46:11 (6th equal)
Zone One 2:52:51 (thanks Glen)
geofftech
All Zones

Post by geofftech »

Carriage 6, Door 3 for the cross-over at Southwark to go from west to east! 4 out of 5 times when i've done this, the point man i've left behind at London Bridge waiting to go south on the Northern Line is still there by the time i get back ...
tractakid
The Twilight Zone

Post by tractakid »

Iain wrote:Looks good :)

I'd agree with Andi's suggestion.

Just one thought -as far as I can tell if you're not nicely lined up with a Hainault loop train you can easily do Epping first and then the loop afterwards - I'd check the timings though as you could end up on a worse loop train.

Have fun - are you doing a twitter feed or anything?
Well, I went to Epping first last time and missed a loop train by seconds at Woodford. I just have to hope one is arriving just as I arrive :P

I like your Southwark suggestion. I keep forgetting just how geographically warped the tube map is, and how much time avoiding changes can make.
geofftech
All Zones

Post by geofftech »

if you can do a 5 minute mile, it's feasible that you can run Southwark to Borough fast enough to get one train ahead at Borough rather than doubling back via London Bridge. but considering you have to get out of the depths of Southwark, run that fast, and then gallop down the steps at Borough or get lucky that the lift is leaving just as you get there, stay with the trains! :-)
tractakid
The Twilight Zone

Post by tractakid »

No chance! Perhaps my teammates could and hold the doors for 5 minutes while I catch up. :P I suspect that the delays caused to the northern line from doing such a thing would be catastrophic :P

How much point is there attempting Gunnersbury- Chiswick Park or West Harrow- North Harrow overground?

Has anyone ever attempted Roding Valley- Buckhurst Hill?
palkanetoijala31

tractakid wrote:No chance! Perhaps my teammates could and hold the doors for 5 minutes while I catch up. :P I suspect that the delays caused to the northern line from doing such a thing would be catastrophic :P

How much point is there attempting Gunnersbury- Chiswick Park or West Harrow- North Harrow overground?

Hmm Tube 5 springs to mind no district trains running west to Acton Town but if had run could have got to Turnham green and pic for record!Roding Valley to Buckhurst Hill yes got and done i believe it was 6 mins for the run but i wasnt pushing it but u dont need to all down hill.
The Raven
All Zones

Post by The Raven »

tractakid wrote:No chance! Perhaps my teammates could and hold the doors for 5 minutes while I catch up. :P I suspect that the delays caused to the northern line from doing such a thing would be catastrophic :P

Gunnersbury to Chiswick Park run has worked for me and Iain and were not the fastest runners. Plus if your lucky you can catch a bus for two stops up the road

West Harrow to North Harrow is a long run but usually worth it since Met trains are so infrequent late in the day.
Don't for get Rayners Lane to North Harrow as well. Its longer but there's the option of a bus
Go Pack Go!
One of the New York Six
Former holder of Zone One, Overground and DLR record
geofftech
All Zones

Post by geofftech »

Gunnersbury/Chiswick Park is a must! (isn't it?). use the side road, look out for a bus, and turn left at Halfords if coming from Gunnersbury.

North Harrow to West Harrow you should be able to do in 7 minutes ... which is frustrating when you usually only have 5 minutes to do it in.

I've done Buckhurst to Roding both ways as a test, but there's no point in doing it. You can't do it quick enough to 'beat' the train either way no matter which way you go, so you might just as well change at Woodford.
palkanetoijala31

geofftech wrote:Gunnersbury/Chiswick Park is a must! (isn't it?). use the side road, look out for a bus, and turn left at Halfords if coming from Gunnersbury.

North Harrow to West Harrow you should be able to do in 7 minutes ... which is frustrating when you usually only have 5 minutes to do it in.

I've done Buckhurst to Roding both ways as a test, but there's no point in doing it. You can't do it quick enough to 'beat' the train either way no matter which way you go, so you might just as well change at Woodford.
I have done this roding valley run as a test with someone actually going on to woodford and changing i made train they didnt! so explain that one!
hopeful traveller
All Zones

Post by hopeful traveller »

geofftech wrote:North Harrow to West Harrow you should be able to do in 7 minutes.
Well I jogged it in 6:43! Local knowledge helps there!
1 FNC Completion (PB: 17:18:18 with G Bryant, A Chilcraft, I MacNaughton)
4 Zone Ones (PB: 03:00:35 with G Bryant)
15 R15s (PB: 01:55:48 with T Cooling and R Jackson)
11 All Lines (PB: 00:44:03)
Winner of the 2014 Formula 1 Side Competition
Nigel
Zone 5

Post by Nigel »

palkanetoijala31 wrote:
geofftech wrote: I've done Buckhurst to Roding both ways as a test, but there's no point in doing it. You can't do it quick enough to 'beat' the train either way no matter which way you go, so you might just as well change at Woodford.
I have done this roding valley run as a test with someone actually going on to woodford and changing i made train they didnt! so explain that one!
As some whose nearest station is Roding Valley, and a reasonable runner (when I had a knee :( ) my view is normally you are better off going on the train into Woodford & back, particularly as the entrance/exit to/from Buckhurst Hill is not convenient when running from/to Roding Valley. But on my Tube 3, I was held in platform for 3 mins at Roding Valley, and then missed the connection at Woodford by a few seconds. At that point I was on 16:20 sub-world record pace (but no guarantee that that there wouldn't have been other problems later on, as I subsequently encountered). So in answer to Andi's point, it can be advantageous to do the run, with perfect information, but normally on average it isn't worth it.