Nigel's Tube 5 28/6/12

Let us know about your latest FULL NETWORK CHALLENGE efforts
Nigel
Zone 5

Nigel's Tube 5 28/6/12

Post by Nigel »

I hoped to have had another attempt at a full network a couple of weeks ago when there was an Olympia service running, but I was thwarted by various domestic issues that cropped up. Given the uncertainty about when or whether there will be special exhibition services running in the second half of 2012, I've decided to schedule an attempt for the second day of the only known remaining exhibition service, i.e. on 28 June.

My last completion on my Tube 3 last year wrecked my already fragile knee - so this latest attempt will start early and will just aim to complete. Running will be undertaken only when absolutely necessary. I can still run, but as I discovered when I did the DLR challenge with my son at Easter, I pay for it for some time afterwards.

For this reason, I'm still unsure about doing Zone 1 this year. I'm not sure I could cope with taking that one gently - perhaps I'll just have to work out a route that doesn't involve a Goodge Street - Russell Square run :wink:
MylesHSG
Zone 5

Re: Nigel's Tube 5 28/6/12

Post by MylesHSG »

RE Zone 1, you can still pop along for the eveings festivities :D
The King is back! Long live The King!
greatkingrat
All Zones

Post by greatkingrat »

The Goodge Street - Russell Square run is by no means essential. I don't think Hakan did it last year. As long as you can hobble from Aldgate to Aldgate East you should be fine!
Soon to be yet another forum train driver
Going Underground
The Twilight Zone

Post by Going Underground »

Goodge St :arrow: Russell Sq only really came into play in 2012 due TCR being closed on the Northern Line.... My achilles and lower back are very sore and have been further aggravated by training runs for Z1 day this week..... I will be limping around in a couple of weeks time gently jogging the Paddington's and Aldgate's but 100% certain that the awful Goodge :arrow: Russell wont be needed :!:
Twice former full network GWR holder and former Zone 1 Olympic and World Record holder with The Raven and Soupie
Tube personality of the year 2009
Twice Winter Olympic Biathlon Gold Medalist with The Beer Baron
2008 All Lines Olympic Gold
geofftech
All Zones

Post by geofftech »

nigel, you still going out on the 28th? that's the date we were planning to next go as well, but due to various member's of our team (including mine, in the evening) work commitments, we now can't do this which is bloody annoying! (so we're coming up with a route that is not-reliant on the exhibition service) ... but in the meantime, i'm still free during the day, so wouldn't mind coming out to find/assist you if i can ...
Rhys1995
Zone 5

Post by Rhys1995 »

RE the comment above about the Aldgate - Aldgate East run it's only about 500m or so and jogging it could well be about 3 minutes. Last challenge I did I did this (pulling in from Liv. St. my starting station at 6.14am) and it only took me about a minute and a half I reckon.
Otherwise known as 'Action Jackson'.
Going Underground
The Twilight Zone

Post by Going Underground »

Rhys1995 wrote:RE the comment above about the Aldgate - Aldgate East run it's only about 500m or so and jogging it could well be about 3 minutes. Last challenge I did I did this (pulling in from Liv. St. my starting station at 6.14am) and it only took me about a minute and a half I reckon.

I factor in 3 mins maximum time platform :arrow: platform
Twice former full network GWR holder and former Zone 1 Olympic and World Record holder with The Raven and Soupie
Tube personality of the year 2009
Twice Winter Olympic Biathlon Gold Medalist with The Beer Baron
2008 All Lines Olympic Gold
moley
Site Administrator

Post by moley »

I'd love to know the record for platform to platform on the Aldgate run. I would imagine Andi has had some quick connections here in his time.
Tube Forum administrator. I look after the database to keep this place running smoothly.
palkanetoijala31

Post by palkanetoijala31 »

moley wrote:I'd love to know the record for platform to platform on the Aldgate run. I would imagine Andi has had some quick connections here in his time.
i believe without looking at my watch for accurate to the very second i once looked it was 47.20 and when i arrive it was 48.34
Nigel
Zone 5

Post by Nigel »

geofftech wrote:nigel, you still going out on the 28th? that's the date we were planning to next go as well, but due to various member's of our team (including mine, in the evening) work commitments, we now can't do this which is bloody annoying! (so we're coming up with a route that is not-reliant on the exhibition service) ... but in the meantime, i'm still free during the day, so wouldn't mind coming out to find/assist you if i can ...
That's still the plan. Hope to have at least one more completion. Only possible clouds at the moment are threatened bus strike & Picc line control centre strike. If they're not on, then it's definite. Please PM or e-mail me if you want to know where to find me.
Nigel
Zone 5

Post by Nigel »

Rhys1995 wrote:RE the comment above about the Aldgate - Aldgate East run it's only about 500m or so and jogging it could well be about 3 minutes. Last challenge I did I did this (pulling in from Liv. St. my starting station at 6.14am) and it only took me about a minute and a half I reckon.
My knee, though sore, survived some runs on Zone 1, so I'm more confident of doing some gentle jogging on 28th. But seriously I'm focusing on a completion not a record, so I won't be running for everything.
Rhys1995
Zone 5

Post by Rhys1995 »

Shame I couldn't come along, I'd be happy to assist but that's impossible for me due to personal reasons.
Otherwise known as 'Action Jackson'.
Nigel
Zone 5

Post by Nigel »

Nigel wrote: Only possible clouds at the moment are threatened bus strike & Picc line control centre strike. If they're not on, then it's definite.
As feared, there is a Piccadilly line strike called for next Thursday: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-18535241

If this doesn't get called off then obviously a full network will be impossible, and I will not try. This is a real pity, as I far as I can make out this is the last day of a scheduled exhibition service for the foreseeable future. Fingers crossed the usual brinkmanship results in the strike not going ahead (though this doesn't seem to have worked for tomorrow's bus strike.)
Nigel
Zone 5

Post by Nigel »

Nigel wrote: As feared, there is a Piccadilly line strike called for next Thursday:
According to the BBC News website, Thursday's Piccadilly line strike has been called off: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-18595484

So my full network attempt this Thursday is now back on! (Although I hope the service improves compared with recent days.)
Nigel
Zone 5

Post by Nigel »

So after this becoming feasible again, I've hastily got everything ready today and will be up very early tomorrow to get to my start. As usual, I'll be providing occasional updates by Twitter (@whitenigel).