Glen and Iain 25/4/2012 (The attempt that wouldn't die)

Let us know about your latest FULL NETWORK CHALLENGE efforts
tractakid
The Twilight Zone

Re: Glen and Iain 25/4/2012 (The attempt that wouldn't die)

Post by tractakid »

Iain wrote:I hope one of your subjects isn't maths Tractakid :wink:
Haha, long story. I did well at maths GCSE (grade A) with very little effort. I picked maths as an A level, because I had done well at GCSE, but ended up failing it for AS really badly, so I dropped it (as well as physics, which I also failed!) and picked up 2 new ASs, while continuing music and RE to A2 which I passed. I didn't enjoy either physics or maths, and lost all motivation. So, I was taught how to do probability in the statistics proportion of maths last year, but I didn't learn it very well. Having seen the solution it makes sense, thanks Nigel.

No Andi, I will not be bunking ;)

And no, it won't be random, but to work with the huge number of variables for a problem that doesn't REALLY matter seems like a bit of a waste of time :)

As for Heathrow starts, yeah, they aren't bad, but they do include the repitition of track between Acton Town and at least Barons Court. I'd also prefer to get the slow paced top left corner done first. But, seeing as I can't make the exhibition services I really have no choice at the minute!
*insert boasting about notable tube accomplishments here*
Iain
All Zones

Post by Iain »

I find I end up covering that bit of track more than once on most routes. I wouldn't say it's impossible to avoid but the routes I've managed it usually had some other inefficiency, probably as a consequence.

I certainly felt much better doing the slow NW corner first on Wednesday, when we'd started at Heathrow it hung over us. Missing a train by one minute could lead to a major addition to the finishing time so it became as critical as a loop train or one to Ken O or MHE. It might be possible to do a route making use of one of the regular Ken O evening trains that run each day perhaps?
Full Network: Three completions, Best time: 17:18:18 - thanks Glen, Andrew and Rhys!
Former DLR 45 station record holder (with Glen, Andi and Stevo) - 2h:08m:57s
All lines: 46:11 (6th equal)
Zone One 2:52:51 (thanks Glen)
Sam
The Twilight Zone

Post by Sam »

I haven't seriously looked at any proper route planning as my interest in spending numerous hours on the tube for very little reward is at an all time low, but I am sure that with a lot of patience, a route could be put together that started in the North West corner and ends at Heathrow taking in a regular evening Ken O service.

When I got my solo record, I reckon I must have gone through about 100 routes with the WTTs, if not more, until I found "the one". Even, when I had the one, I still wasn't 100% happy with it but lady luck was on my side.
:D First and so far only female solo record holder!! :D

Ze forum's female train driver
geofftech
All Zones

Post by geofftech »

Iain wrote:There's nothing wrong with a Heathrow start if you can get there early enough.
Can't agree on that one. Starting NW corner and getting in an exhibition service, or one of the two evening Olympia services is (IMHO) still better than a Heathrow start at the moment.

Unless someone wants to reveal otherwise (and i'm sure they won't if they've found a way to do it), I would like to start at Heathrow, knock out the Richmond branch, and then onto Olympia. But it's just not possible.
tractakid
The Twilight Zone

Post by tractakid »

The other terminus you can get to Olympia from is Upminster, but i'm guessing that it's just not worth it.
*insert boasting about notable tube accomplishments here*
Iain
All Zones

Post by Iain »

It certainly has its disadvantages, which is why we switched to a Chesham start off our last run, but if you just want a completion then it works ok. Having said that we have a sub GWR route off it if everything goes okay.

I have a start that takes out Heathrow and Richmond branches and gets to Ken O for the last morning train. It can be done, but it's risky, which is why we haven't tried it (yet).
Full Network: Three completions, Best time: 17:18:18 - thanks Glen, Andrew and Rhys!
Former DLR 45 station record holder (with Glen, Andi and Stevo) - 2h:08m:57s
All lines: 46:11 (6th equal)
Zone One 2:52:51 (thanks Glen)
palkanetoijala31

Post by palkanetoijala31 »

geofftech wrote:
Iain wrote:There's nothing wrong with a Heathrow start if you can get there early enough.
Can't agree on that one. Starting NW corner and getting in an exhibition service, or one of the two evening Olympia services is (IMHO) still better than a Heathrow start at the moment.

Unless someone wants to reveal otherwise (and i'm sure they won't if they've found a way to do it), I would like to start at Heathrow, knock out the Richmond branch, and then onto Olympia. But it's just not possible.
Aint u been training running wise u and anthony if so then u cant be very confident about ur maximum running pace :wink:
greatkingrat
All Zones

Post by greatkingrat »

As far as I can see it is only possible if you can run West Ken - Olympia in 4 minutes which seems rather tight!
Soon to be yet another forum train driver
palkanetoijala31

Post by palkanetoijala31 »

greatkingrat wrote:As far as I can see it is only possible if you can run West Ken - Olympia in 4 minutes which seems rather tight!
And that is wiv taking Richmond out as well dont forget Peter wrong timings i believe (for those that know i have found a way of doing this but im not going to divulge how it spoil it the fun :) )