9th March 2012

Let us know about your latest FULL NETWORK CHALLENGE efforts
MylesHSG
Zone 5

9th March 2012

Post by MylesHSG »

I'm sure Andi, Steve, Iain and Glen will fill you in later after their fry up at Finchley Central.

Attempt aborted early in the day at an undisclosed zone 1 location after missing a loop train with no option to fall back on.
The King is back! Long live The King!
Steeevooo
All Zones

Re: 9th March 2012

Post by Steeevooo »

Indeed, we did abort early - it wasn't so much that we didn't have an option to fall back on, more a case that the trains on our back-up plans weren't where they were supposed to be! It also doesn't help if your second train of the day runs 8 minutes late...! But never mind, the tube service is better than ever isn't it Hopeless Traveller...?!

Worthwhile day though of doing alternative challenges :)
geofftech
All Zones

Post by geofftech »

Good service, good service .. GOOD SERVICE!! huh? Ha ha haa... (i'm laughing at the "good service", not your abortive attempt .. for which i can frustratingly relate to!)
Steeevooo
All Zones

Post by Steeevooo »

The more I travel on the tubes (mostly for general everyday working purposes as opposed to challenges), the more I am convinced that the term "Good Service" is banded around in much the same fashion as "Best ever GCSE/A-Level results" - i.e. they are only improving because the definition of good/excellence is being weakened...
geofftech
All Zones

Post by geofftech »

the biggest tragedy of having 'Good Service' announcements, is that it shows that the service is bad enough that they have to have a system in place to tell you when it's actually working 'well'.

if the tube actually ran a damn good service all of the time, they wouldn't need to tell us would they? ... people would just expect it and be used to it. so lots of time, money & effort wasted on the "Good Service" wagon, which could have been invested/spent on actually providing infrastructure that actually delivers an actual good service. *sigh*
Iain
All Zones

Post by Iain »

Good points:
- the company and constant banter
- food - several visits to pubs and a cafe for a fry up about half past seven when we aborted
- the woman in the figleaves advert
- The new DLR record and joint fifth fastest time for the all lines - I hadn't expected to enjoy the alternative challenges but I really did in the end

Bad points:
- the repetitive farting from the two tube challengers
- the first train down to T123 left Hatton X five minutes late - held on a red signal. No idea why as it was first train and the T4 train had no issues
- after being held a further two minutes just short of T123, the driver arrived late at T5, but rather than going straight back from the same platform fannied about walking down the train and then drove into the loop and stayed there for ages, to appear as Steve has mentioned, eight mins late
- On appearing, Andi tapped his watch to indicate his displeasure, the driver then made several sarky comments along the lines of "for the gentleman with the dodgy watch, the time is now..."
- My oyster card kept on charging me all day, rather than capping at the daily limit. I will claim it back but Boris needs to sort this out
Full Network: Three completions, Best time: 17:18:18 - thanks Glen, Andrew and Rhys!
Former DLR 45 station record holder (with Glen, Andi and Stevo) - 2h:08m:57s
All lines: 46:11 (6th equal)
Zone One 2:52:51 (thanks Glen)
hopeful traveller
All Zones

Post by hopeful traveller »

Even Diamond Geezer says tube delays have been cut by 40% since '08!

I actually conducted an unbiased survey:

"How many minutes should all of a line's trains be late before it is classified as "minor delays?"

5 minutes was the message I got back from most people.
1 FNC Completion (PB: 17:18:18 with G Bryant, A Chilcraft, I MacNaughton)
4 Zone Ones (PB: 03:00:35 with G Bryant)
15 R15s (PB: 01:55:48 with T Cooling and R Jackson)
11 All Lines (PB: 00:44:03)
Winner of the 2014 Formula 1 Side Competition
tubeguru
Site Administrator

Post by tubeguru »

hopeful traveller wrote:Even Diamond Geezer says tube delays have been cut by 40% since '08!

I actually conducted an unbiased survey:

"How many minutes should all of a line's trains be late before it is classified as "minor delays?"

5 minutes was the message I got back from most people.
Can you prove it was unbiased? Who did you ask? How many people did you ask? How did you word the question?
One thing only do I know, and that is that I know nothing - Socrates.

Champion of bugger all, 2004 to 2022
Member of sweet FA
Starkey7
All Zones

Post by Starkey7 »

On the other hand, that includes ten trains being thirty seconds late - I wouldn't call that a bad service.
Root
All Zones

Post by Root »

^ Is that really how the question should be interpreted? I thought it was "how many minutes should each of a line's trains be late by...", not "what should the sum of delays on all a line's trains be...". Assuming that:

It still depends on a number of variables. In the centre of London, a five minute delay on all trains wouldn't really make a difference, as people seldom aim to get specific trains - they just turn up and wait for the first train. If all the trains were five minutes late, which was the modal answer to HT's questionnaire (allegedly), the gap between the trains would still be the same, and very few people would even notice. On a train from Chesham, however, five minutes is quite a noticeable wait, as the trains are so infrequent, and people tend to arrive at the station in much higher concentrations just before a train is due to leave.

Neil already asked for more information on the survey. I'd like to see that too, but I think the question itself could do with some clarification.
Iain wrote:- On appearing, Andi tapped his watch to indicate his displeasure, the driver then made several sarky comments along the lines of "for the gentleman with the dodgy watch, the time is now..."
That's brilliant. I'm glad the driver had a sense of humour. It's pretty unlikely the delay was his fault, after all.
2012 Formula 1 predictions competition
Rules and discussion - Entry form - Results and standings
tubeguru
Site Administrator

Post by tubeguru »

Root wrote:
Iain wrote:- On appearing, Andi tapped his watch to indicate his displeasure, the driver then made several sarky comments along the lines of "for the gentleman with the dodgy watch, the time is now..."
That's brilliant. I'm glad the driver had a sense of humour. It's pretty unlikely the delay was his fault, after all.
People doing that to me either get a very hard stare or some kind of subtle rhythmic wrist movement which indicates my displeasure at their twattishness.
One thing only do I know, and that is that I know nothing - Socrates.

Champion of bugger all, 2004 to 2022
Member of sweet FA
The Raven
All Zones

Post by The Raven »

tubeguru wrote:
Root wrote:
People doing that to me either get a very hard stare or some kind of subtle rhythmic wrist movement which indicates my displeasure at their twattishness.
Mind you I've given train drivers a nice, friendly wave and you still get a cold stare!
Go Pack Go!
One of the New York Six
Former holder of Zone One, Overground and DLR record
Sam
The Twilight Zone

Post by Sam »

Train drivers tend to be pretty damn grumpy it has to be said!

There are some who do not fit this bill and I'm more than happy to wave back at anyone who waves at me!!! :)
:D First and so far only female solo record holder!! :D

Ze forum's female train driver
tractakid
The Twilight Zone

Post by tractakid »

On school trips, one of the more popular pastimes (particularly in queues) was counting the number of HGV drivers that waved back. :P Usually, the answer was surprisingly many.
*insert boasting about notable tube accomplishments here*
geofftech
All Zones

Post by geofftech »

hopeful traveller wrote:Even Diamond Geezer says tube delays have been cut by 40% since '08!.
No he hasn't.