17th Feb 2012

Let us know about your latest FULL NETWORK CHALLENGE efforts
Iain
All Zones

17th Feb 2012

Post by Iain »

Bit of a last minute decision this one – I had been planning a route, an improved version of what I did with Glen, and borrowing a couple of ideas from the route I had lined up to do with Andi last week when it blizzarded down. I was going to leave it until next week but then there was talk of more snow, so I spent Thursday scouting some new changes and doing a couple of other things I had lined up.

Anyway – same start as last time, taking out Ken O early. It worked beautifully, with the Picc speeding along like Usain Bolt, which was a relief as it had been looking very iffy right up until late the day before. I think I switched to an earlier District train at Hammersmith, as it got to West Ken a few minutes earlier. With Glen we’d discussed switching to a District at Acton Town which I think was the train behind the one we wanted, and I did consider this on this run – as I think the Picc train was ahead enough that this was the right District train, so I could take out the District stations and still get to West Ken on time for a ten minute run to Ken O. If it ran okay. I decided not to gamble, and ended up with about 14 minutes for a run that takes considerably less than that. I did vaguely think that if I was a bit faster, I could make the 6:06!

Once again the train was held on the way into Earl’s Court. Twice. So I missed my early connection to switch up to the Central for a Hainault loop train. No problem – the next train would do fine, if it turned up. Which it didn’t. Unless it was seven minutes late. No info via announcement or DMI, just a missing train. So, that was my Loop train missed, which threw out my next section. I decided to kill time doing a few double backs, but in the end I only got one done, as I had not checked enough on the timetable to do a double back to Aldgate, and I decided it was too risky.

Anyway, with a smallish wait for five minutes, I was essentially twenty minutes down and on the next loop train. It was going great, and looked like it made a nice connection to the Vic line…until there was a signal failure. To his credit the driver kept telling us about it while we waited for 10-12 minutes just short of Fairlop, although he had no new information, just that we would be “on our way shortly”. “Shortly” is an annoying word, which means nothing really, and I grew increasingly annoyed each time it was used. There were further holds, and that bumped things up to forty minutes or so down. This started to get nasty, as with some delays around Epping due to a failed train (hey the stats show the network is running better, right?) it meant that I would have about seven minutes to get from Snaresbrook to Wood Street. If I was ******** and knew Professor Brian Cox, I could probably create a wormhole and suddenly emerge on the platform five seconds later, but I’m not so that put me fifteen more minutes down. I contemplated running to Walthamstow Central, but figured that was unlikely to get there any earlier than the next Wood Street train. Then…as I passed the first bus stop, a W12 appeared. The timetable said it took 14 minutes to Walthamstow Central, which would gain me some time back.

If Dr Gregory House was a tube challenger, he’d tell you that timetables lie. They do. In spite of a fast sounding name (the “2” looks a bit like a “Z”), House would probably diagnose a bad case of bradykinesia. To be fair, the first bit was good, and I might have made time if I’d decided to run to Walthamstow from just before where it turned off down to Whipps Cross Hospital. Too much of the route is in narrow, car crowded roads and the bus struggled with them like a six foot ten man in a school with primary kid sized furniture. It ended up taking nearly double the advertised time. I guess I should have researched it better, but that’s a lesson learnt. So – four hours or so into the day, and already an hour down. I contemplated bailing, but decided that a time just over 18 hours, while not great, was still nearly an hour inside my current best, and decided to try a few ideas I’d thought about but never tried. It actually worked well, and in spite of quite a few near misses (it seemed to be the story of the rest of the day), but since I was doing things completely off a planned route I had no idea how I was doing. In no particular order:
  • I just missed a 307 from High Barnet – if it had stopped at the stop (it’s not a request so it should surely?) I’d have made it, but in spite of my frantic waving it sailed on past. The next scheduled one wasn’t for ages, but then a 384 arrived. The timetable said 19 minutes to Cockfosters. That sounded better than the 307 that was still a long way away. This is an interesting bus, where the drivers seem to be undertaking their own version of tube challenging, called A-Z challenge, visiting every single street in London on the way. Still – it got there at the advertised time.
  • I got a U1 at West Ruislip. All the way to Uxbridge. This worked nicely, as I’d managed to arrive at West Ruislip at a time when I couldn’t make Ickenham in time and then there was a twelve minute gap, meaning that the bus got to Uxbridge first. Nice.
  • Running wasn’t going that well. It wasn’t bad, but my legs felt tired from the start (possibly due to a lot of walking the day before).
  • I was glad I’d done a full scout at King’s Cross so I could now speedily do the lines from there in any order. This worked a treat, and I judged the train up to High Barnet perfectly so I got a 30 second changed to the MHE train. I guess this could just as easily have gone badly wrong.
  • The bus at Canons Park turned up perfectly, and made good time
  • Another two signal failures somewhere in there and partial line suspensions. The suspensions didn’t seem to hit me much but the signal failures cost a few minutes here and there
Anyway – by mid-afternoon I’d found that I had a route with me from a previous run that finished in the same way as what I was doing, and I looked like being 45 minutes down. This was nice as I could even miss the one minute change at Watford and still finish at just over eighteen hours. The North Ealing to West Acton run went fine, a minute faster than I’d allowed, although I was feeling I wasn’t at my best. Things fell apart at Gunnersbury – I knew I wasn’t running as well, but that coupled with a slight hesitation about getting a bus for one stop (it didn’t pass me so I made the right call) and people coming up the stairs to the platform on both sides when the sign says to keep to one side only (I know, it’s pretty common) meant that I missed the train the Richmond. This wouldn’t have been so bad, but there was a fourteen minute wait for the next one. That put me an hour down, but a good Watford connection would still get me finished in my new target time.

Another narrow miss at Hammersmith, but that only cost a couple of minutes. Down to Wimbledon – no tram, checked for a train even though one wasn’t scheduled (wish I hadn’t now) and then out to the buses. There’s some construction work going on outside or I’d have made a bus to South Wimbledon. Still – two minutes later and another one came along. This again was something new, but it only took a few minutes and so I figured a double back to Morden should actually gain time. I’m still not sure how it didn’t. Anyway, I didn’t lose time, so still on target for an 18 hour finish. All looking good up to Victoria, and so it was still on once I was on the District line. And then…another failed train, a couple ahead of us. Cue a long wait, then trains crawling along (but still good service on the District line apparently). Add to that a strange man sitting behind me who seemed to have bad wind, and every ten seconds or so would let out a stifled burp, sounding like one of those cats that make a low growling sound. That took me to 75 minutes down, and it looked likely to get worse. I bailed at West Ham, although I’d made the decision a couple of stops earlier, I just figured that was the easiest way home.

So – three signal failures, two lines partly suspended, one disappearing train. Not a good day at the office, but to be fair apart from that first few hours I managed to stay on course for a big chunk of the day. I’m looking forward to another try but I’m getting frustrated by being thwarted by things outside of my control.

Then - to add insult to injury, half the departure board at Victoria was covered in "Delayed" messages. Grrrr! :x
Last edited by Iain on 18 Feb 2012, 13:40, edited 2 times in total.
Full Network: Three completions, Best time: 17:18:18 - thanks Glen, Andrew and Rhys!
Former DLR 45 station record holder (with Glen, Andi and Stevo) - 2h:08m:57s
All lines: 46:11 (6th equal)
Zone One 2:52:51 (thanks Glen)
geofftech
All Zones

Re: 17th Feb 2012

Post by geofftech »

Iain wrote:So – three signal failures, two lines partly suspended, one disappearing train. Not a good day at the office, but to be fair apart from that first few hours I managed to stay on course for a big chunk of the day. I’m looking forward to another try but I’m getting frustrated by being thwarted at things outside of my control.
Iain, welcome to my world! Would you like to join my club of people who have attempts on days when the network is just shite!? Perhaps other people on here can start to believe how bad it is.

Love your write up ... and good that you learned a few bits. Get the W12 bus yes - but only for a couple of stops! Never get the 384 bus as it goes all round the houses, etc! I'm still not convinced that getting a U1 all the way to Uxbridge is faster than going by train and doubling back though, interesting ...

Oh, and a "signal failure" in TfL speak can mean anything. It could be a signal failure, or a points failure, or even a driver going through a red signal mucking things up .. TfL/LU like to like to you rather than tell you the truth, so bear it mind that it could have been a number of things that caused these 'failures'.
Iain
All Zones

Post by Iain »

I knew the 384 did go all round the houses, but it looked better than the 307 if the bus arrival info was correct (which of course may not be true). I got to the stage of "a bus in the hand..." anyway - it was there, the other one wasn't and could arrive sooner (or later) than advertised.

I think the timing with the U1 was unusual - I had 5 minutes to run to Ickenham, and then a 12 minute wait for the next train if I missed it. Even on a good day at the moment, the 5 minutes would be tough, so it was 17 minutes until a train into Uxbridge and then 5 minutes to get there, so 22 - which the bus clearly beat. The 12 minute gap was longer than usual and I think at a lot of times of day it wouldn't gain an advantage using the U1.

If I'd done more runs, I'd definitely be contributing to your stats thread. Something has ballsed up every run I've done - late start on two when the train was on the platform, messing up the first connection, but thwn not too bad (although things like incorrect info on the DMI etc caused problems). Two of the others have really messed up big time. Yesterday, and the one I aborted very early on back in December where Chesham trains were non-existent. It's slightly hard to judge what counts as a major problem, the non-existent MHE train on the run with Glen was very poor, but that was the worst thing all day, the rest was general slowness.
Full Network: Three completions, Best time: 17:18:18 - thanks Glen, Andrew and Rhys!
Iain
All Zones

Post by Iain »

Jusr realised I missed two failed trains off that list for yesterday!
Cheshire Cat
Zone 2

Post by Cheshire Cat »

RE: the missed 307, it's my understanding that TfL now treats ALL stops as Request stops, irrespective of what they say on them, but obviously it should have stopped if you put your hand out!
Metrolink 91 stations 6:27:01
FNC: 18:48:00
palkanetoijala31

Post by palkanetoijala31 »

Cheshire Cat wrote:RE: the missed 307, it's my understanding that TfL now treats ALL stops as Request stops, irrespective of what they say on them, but obviously it should have stopped if you put your hand out!
Put his hand out if i look for the bus which is only a fleeting glance up the hill mind you no bus run if bus stand in road until he either hits you or stops!.
Starkey7
All Zones

Post by Starkey7 »

palkanetoijala31 wrote:Put his hand out if i look for the bus which is only a fleeting glance up the hill mind you no bus run if bus stand in road until he either hits you or stops!.
Eh?
tubeguru
Site Administrator

Post by tubeguru »

Starkey7 wrote:
palkanetoijala31 wrote:Put his hand out if i look for the bus which is only a fleeting glance up the hill mind you no bus run if bus stand in road until he either hits you or stops!.
Eh?
I think what he means is he put his hand out if he looks for the bus which is only a fleeting glance up the hill. Mind you, no bus run if bus stand in road until he either hits you or stops.

Hope that helps.
One thing only do I know, and that is that I know nothing - Socrates.

Champion of bugger all, 2004 to 2022
Member of sweet FA
palkanetoijala31

Post by palkanetoijala31 »

Ok in english running into High Barnet bus stop i look up the hill over my shoulder!

Bus coming down the hill i wait to see number then take for one stop at least i go in the middle of road to make sure bus stops i dont do this pussy footing of putting my hand out!
bus not coming down i run
tubeguru
Site Administrator

Post by tubeguru »

palkanetoijala31 wrote:Ok in english running into High Barnet bus stop i look up the hill over my shoulder!

Bus coming down the hill i wait to see number then take for one stop at least i go in the middle of road to make sure bus stops i dont do this pussy footing of putting my hand out!
bus not coming down i run
Yeah, much better in English ...
One thing only do I know, and that is that I know nothing - Socrates.

Champion of bugger all, 2004 to 2022
Member of sweet FA
Starkey7
All Zones

Post by Starkey7 »

Oh right! I was thinking that you were talking about the bus stop further up the road from the station.