Heathrow to Chesham - Iain 9-1-12

Let us know about your latest FULL NETWORK CHALLENGE efforts
Iain
All Zones

Heathrow to Chesham - Iain 9-1-12

Post by Iain »

Well, my original “bucket list” item to visit all tube stations on the network seems to have changed to do it as quickly as possible all in one day. Spare hours have been spent poring over Journey Planner plotting out routes. Anyway – third attempt, following CiN and the abortive run about a month ago where there was a distinct lack of trains out of Chesham. I had a 16:50 route (on paper) and I’d left what I thought was a reasonable amount of slack in except for a few tighter changes that couldn’t be avoided without a big wait.

The day started early, as I had to get out to Heathrow. The trip went without incident, and I was at Heathrow Terminal 5 with ten minutes to spare. All looked good – the tube arrived at 5:22, so a minute to spare before departure. It was looking good. Then for some reason (in spite of a green signal) it stayed there until gone 5:25, meaning that the one minute change at Hatton Cross looked extremely iffy. It proved to be impossible, the train had already left the platform before I arrived.

One of the main points of starting at Heathrow was to get an early Ken O, and that had now gone down the tubes. So – a wait at Hatton Cross, and then round to the loop and up towards Earls Court. I figured that in spite of the delay I could join up with my intended route and timings, and do Ken O later. The train seemed slow, with a couple of waits to regulate the service, but I ended up switching at Hammersmith to the train to Richmond. All good then, back on track. Train headed for Richmond, again slowly, and what should have been a nice relaxed cross platform change with a few minutes to spare turned into a mad dash. Back up to Gunnersbury, then six minutes to Chiswick Park, except it turned to less as that train got held a couple of times. The train was pulling into the platform as I rounded the corner, and in spite of a mad sprint (can someone make a gap in those railing so it isn’t necessary to go around them either side) the doors shut as I got to the top of the stairs.

So – now down on schedule even apart from Ken O, I still had hopes of getting back on track as I’d left a fair bit of time to spare later. I sat on a bench to figure out some options, then went to stand up to walk to the appropriate place on the platform, only to find my rucksack strap stuck between the slats. Got it free just as the train pulled in, and briefly bumped into Myles and Andi who were coming off the train I was getting onto. The next few changes went well, and I hoped to recover things by West Ruislip, but the Uxbridge announcements left me and a load of other people on the incorrect train, so in spite of catching a U1, I was now quite a bit down on top of missing Ken O. I decided to skip a quick double back to get back onto the route I had timed and do that later as well, and the next section of the route went well. I don’t want to give away the route, so in no particular order:

Things that went well
  • Mill Hill East – only a few minutes wait in spite of being off schedule I’d judged my change of plan well
    The double back to Preston Park
  • High Barnet to Picc line – in spite of the live bus news saying there was a big gap between buses, I ran to catch a 307 just as it arrived
  • Changes – the planned ones went almost without exception very slickly. The only problem was where I changed route and although I had scouted the changes I hadn’t brought the details with me – something learnt for next time
  • The run from Snaresbrook to Wood Street – even guessed the position nto the underground just right in spite of it being a shorter train than when I scouted it
Things that went badly
  • Stanmore to Edgeware – live bus update said a 142 would arrive just about perfectly so I went for that, and indeed it did but then got held to regulate the service (I heard that so many times), and then a couple got on who didn’t seem to understand fares leading to another few minutes delay
  • Generally lots of holding. I know this is inevitable at some point but it seemed particularly bad, for instance coming in from Walthamstow Central we got held for a couple of minutes at the first few changes and then 8-10 minutes at Seven Sisters.
  • Aldgate East to Aldgate. I’d scouted the position but not actually done the transfer, meaning that as I emerged I was completely lost as to which set of steps to take, and when I came out above ground I was disorientated. I saw a luminous roundel a short way down the street, and ran towards it – only to find I’d gone the wrong way and it was the other entrance to Aldgate East
Anyway, that left me quite a bit down. I’d started knowing that even if I went half an hour down that was still a very respectable time, and it was more like an hour plus. Because of the way the trains to the NW corner work, a few minutes past the half hour can lead to a much bigger addition to the final time, and there were a couple of tight changes at Harrow and Wealdstone and Watford. Coming back along the bottom of the circle, I wasn’t sure whether to do Ken O, which I estimated would mean hanging around for the best part of half an hour, or try to squeeze in Morden first. I decided to gamble, as if I left Morden my final time was looking close to nineteen hours, which was only half an hour faster than CiN, and I couldn’t see a way home without shelling out on a taxi, which just wasn’t worth it for a time like that.

Anyway, the journey down the Vic and Northern went very smoothly, but the transfer to Wimbledon didn’t – I kept checking for a 93 and couldn’t see one, then as I went down to check the tram departure board a 93 went past – not sure how I didn’t see it. I planned to switch at West Brompton and catch the overground to Ken O for the last train, but missed it by a few minutes. Although the Morden-Wimbledon transfer was bad, even with that I might have made it if I hadn’t cocked up between the Aldgates.

Anyway, no point carrying on if I couldn’t complete, so I aborted. With hindsight there were a couple of other bits I could have switched around that would have worked better, but at the time I missed. There’s certainly some things I learnt from the day and I could have worked out the final stages better but I was planning on the fly and it’s easy to miss things.

All in all a tough day at the office, I think the route is essentially a good one if the first change goes well, and I’m tempted to go and have another go in a few days. It is quite tough on your own though and I think I want to have a better look at contingencies if the first change missed. I did have one planned, but with the subsequent delays it took me outside of my planned ideas, and it did mean a lot of wasted time anyway. I also want to write up my notebook of changes more tidily.

I might try an Upminster start – it does seem far safer for an early Ken O, and Ken O was hanging over me all day so reducing that risk would be good, but then I don’t fancy the Heathrow to Richmond transfer. It’ll be interesting to hear how other people do on a Heathrow start with that first change. Plus I think I want to get fitter as my quads were dying by the end of the day and my stair climbing was less than pretty!

236/270 stations in 15:20.

I think next time I’ll log the arrivals and departures. Even though it isn’t likely to be a record, it would be interesting to look back and see exactly how much time I lost where.
Full Network: Three completions, Best time: 17:18:18 - thanks Glen, Andrew and Rhys!
Former DLR 45 station record holder (with Glen, Andi and Stevo) - 2h:08m:57s
All lines: 46:11 (6th equal)
Zone One 2:52:51 (thanks Glen)
geofftech
All Zones

Re: Heathrow to Chesham - Iain 9-1-12

Post by geofftech »

Nice write up ... and it teaches you a few things (like, how not to go the wrong way at Aldgate East!), but i have to ask .. WHY did you not start at T4 ??!?
Iain
All Zones

Post by Iain »

Thanks Geoff - I'm going to scout Aldgate East properly next time!

Have I missed something? The only way I saw of getting to Ken O in time from T4 was the 5:02 which meant two 14 minute waits, and cost me 21 minutes in total. I guess to get a decent (but not record breaking) time it might be worth doing - 17:11 is still good.

I've got a feeling I have missed something though - off to JP!
Full Network: Three completions, Best time: 17:18:18 - thanks Glen, Andrew and Rhys!
hopeful traveller
All Zones

Post by hopeful traveller »

geofftech wrote:Nice write up ... and it teaches you a few things (like, how not to go the wrong way at Aldgate East!), but i have to ask .. WHY did you not start at T4 ??!?
Well, I did try a HT4 start but it only gets to Ken O 2 mins after the last morning train.
1 FNC Completion (PB: 17:18:18 with G Bryant, A Chilcraft, I MacNaughton)
4 Zone Ones (PB: 03:00:35 with G Bryant)
15 R15s (PB: 01:55:48 with T Cooling and R Jackson)
11 All Lines (PB: 00:44:03)
Winner of the 2014 Formula 1 Side Competition
Iain
All Zones

Post by Iain »

You've missed something then HT, did you start on the 5:02?
palkanetoijala31

Post by palkanetoijala31 »

As stated before the park challenge i must be the only person to make it work i think the upminster start would have worked as well not giving my running pace away lol.
geofftech
All Zones

Post by geofftech »

Oh.. i see. H5 trains start earlier than T4 trains, so if you start on the first T4 train and THEN go to T5 then you miss Olympia, right? But starting even earlier at T5 and getting the T4 train round (even with the 7 minute wait) should mean that you make the Olympa train. Is that it?

So the question really is, is there a way of starting at T4, then doing T5, and then somehow still making that last Olympia. Heh he heh. That is the puzzle!
Iain
All Zones

Post by Iain »

It's possible to a T4 start , get T5 and get to Ken O okay, it just wastes a lot of time.

There may be a way I haven't spotted yet, but a T4 or 5 start can get you to an early Ken O train.
greatkingrat
All Zones

Post by greatkingrat »

According to the Journey Planner, the first train leaves T4 at 0502 and arrives at T123 at 0512. This means that you miss the 0510 to T5 and have to wait for the 0526.

However it clearly does not take 10 minutes to get from T4 to T123, so I suspect that in practice the 0502 gets to T123 at about 0508 and then waits for a few minutes before departing at 0512. Without actually trying it out it is difficult to know if you would make the -2 minute connection or not.
Soon to be yet another forum train driver
Iain
All Zones

Post by Iain »

I did wonder why some trains took so much longer - that does make it interesting, thanks GKR :)

Now can I face another 3am alarm just to research that? :D
geofftech
All Zones

Post by geofftech »

Surely a check of the current WTT and the tell-tale single letter ('b', 'd', 'f') in the column would give away the actual arrivial time at T123 ... ?!
Iain
All Zones

Post by Iain »

I'm still new at this Geoff, I don't have the WTT.

Time to get them I think, would be useful to have that info.
moley
Site Administrator

Post by moley »

Iain wrote:It's possible to a T4 start , get T5 and get to Ken O okay, it just wastes a lot of time.

There may be a way I haven't spotted yet, but a T4 or 5 start can get you to an early Ken O train.
There are ways that don't waste time but you might need to think out of the box, look carefully at the timings and don't trust journeyplanner.

I have a Heathrow T4 starting route but it will have to wait until later in the year before we try it as I have to go get married first!!!

That said the changes to Olympia and the various timetables have made for some interesting route planning opportunities and made you think - really refreshing!!!
Tube Forum administrator. I look after the database to keep this place running smoothly.
Nigel
Zone 5

Post by Nigel »

geofftech wrote:Surely a check of the current WTT and the tell-tale single letter ('b', 'd', 'f') in the column would give away the actual arrivial time at T123 ... ?!
... even just try a careful look at the first (& last) trains timetable, which is on-line, to get some useful information.
MylesHSG
Zone 5

Post by MylesHSG »

Terrible luck Iain, if you need any support later in the week just ask and I am probably be free Thursday or Friday.
The King is back! Long live The King!