13-12-11

Let us know about your latest FULL NETWORK CHALLENGE efforts
Iain
All Zones

13-12-11

Post by Iain »

I loved the CiN tube challenge and have been plotting routes since then. I was hoping to go out on the last weekday of the old timetable with a route that was 16:51 (at least in theory) but wasn't feeling too good so decided to take advantage of the extended Ken O opening and give it a crack today.

I'd reworked the timings - the Chesham start got trickier as the first start I could find that didn't take ages was 7:31, which made it tough for a Heathrow finish. I did manage to rejig things so that I could do it but it needed a big run of sexy changes in the last few hours (multi-orgasmic changes?!). Anyway - I abandoned that idea, the one thing I wanted to do was to post a finish time significantly quicker than the 19:24 from CiN. So - with that in mind, I planned on a 6:26 Amersham start and the rest of the route the same from C+L onwards. This cost me about twenty minutes at the start and for some reason cost me later, so the projected time came in with a finish of around 17:30 (hours - not half past five in the afternoon!).

So - armed with my spreadsheet printout complete with the door positions I'd scouted on several trips over the last few weeks, I headed up to Amersham on the night bus. The LU staff member eyed me - I remember seeing her and she'd looked at me like I was mad when I practised the Amersham bridge on a scouting mission a few weeks ago. Anyhow - watch started at 6:26 - first station done. A few minutes later and the announcement came - train to Chesham cancelled. So - two stations down and I was already in trouble! Hmm - what to do. I toyed with waiting at C+L and catching the train down from Chesham so as to rejoin my planned route at the correct time at C+L - except that I figured that since the train to Chesham had been cancelled the train back wouldn't be running either. So - plan B! Get to Chesham (I remembered there was a 7:00am bus to Chesham from Amersham) and start at 7:31 which was faster for the NW triangle of Chesham, C+L and Amersham. I even managed to pick up a coffee in Chesham - result! More odd looks from the staff member at Amersham as I visited for the second time.

Right - so all ready at Chesham for a 7:31 start, and the NW triangle decided to become the Bermuda triangle - with another train magically disappearing. Something to do with a failed train at Neasden. Anyway - I amused myself in the waiting room looking at all the awards Chesham had won for its hanging basket displays as I awaited the 8:03 train. This also has some slick changes in the NW corner but means you need to go sub GWR pace to finish in time at Heathrow. Anyway - I couldn't see a way that I could finish so just decided to have a dry run of bits of the route.

8:03 and we were off! Watch started again, into C+L, few minutes ait and then back towards Amersham. I didn't have the times with me but I seemed to recall it needed a one minute change, so needed to get the door position right. Would all that stairs practice pay off? The short answer is no, the train up from C+L was running 2-3 mins late and the train from Amersham shot past before we got near the platform. Turns out I'd mis-remembered the door position anyway (note to self - carry all door positions you have with you even if you're not planning on using some). So - third visit to Amersham, and I think the staff member thought it was Groundhog day. I then had to wait around for 15 minutes or so for the next train out.

Finally - we were underway (again) and I cleared the NW triangle by just short of 9am. So - two and a half hours for three stations - woop! The next few stations went okay, no tight changes (even though they had been on the original plan). I got the train with time to spare after the North to West Harrow run, although on the original train I wouldn't. I knew my fitness wasn't anywhere near to what it was a few years ago, but I'd tried to adjust for that and allowed six minutes. Turned out it took me nearly eight, so that'll need a revamp before another attempt.

I knew I couldn't complete the route, and to be honest I found solo really soul destroying. The CiN attempt had been tiring but we had good banter with lots of joking around to keep the spirits up, but you don't have that on your own. Maybe it suits some people, but not me, especially when you get problems. I ran through the first chunk of the route, which worked absolutely fine, except for the exit at Regent's Park - the lifts are a pain in the bum and it took as long to get out of the RP as to get to the next station once out. I was checking the timing on my watch to see if it would have worked if I'd been on schedule and it worked fine on the whole. However, since I wasn't going to finish and was just dry running, I stopped at a pub for lunch, did a bit more and then decided to call it quits. I had several ideas for route adaptations and wanted to go and see if they worked on Journey Planner, plus I was toying with another attempt on Friday, so wanted to save energy.

All in all a frustrating day - I guess it's all part of the nature of tube challenging, but I learnt plenty. As well as the above, I need to have changes in a more accessible place so I don't have to fiddle around for them in a wallet. Plus I need to write down what side of the train the change is on - it doesn't make much odds at quiet times but in busy times if you're on the wrong side then you'll lost 30 seconds or so. Finally - one thing I struggle with is being on an empty platform, wanting to position myself for the door position for the next change (especially if it's only a stop or two away) but not been sure which way the train goes. Firstly I can scout this and second - am I correct in saying that the platforms only have a mirror at the front end of the train?
Last edited by Iain on 13 Dec 2011, 22:32, edited 1 time in total.
Full Network: Three completions, Best time: 17:18:18 - thanks Glen, Andrew and Rhys!
Former DLR 45 station record holder (with Glen, Andi and Stevo) - 2h:08m:57s
All lines: 46:11 (6th equal)
Zone One 2:52:51 (thanks Glen)
Going Underground
The Twilight Zone

Re: 13-12-11

Post by Going Underground »

Absolutely amazing Iain well done for sticking at it for as long as you did..........

I agree I have never done it solo I really enjoy going out in groups of between 3 - 6 it really helps the day fly by :D
Twice former full network GWR holder and former Zone 1 Olympic and World Record holder with The Raven and Soupie
Tube personality of the year 2009
Twice Winter Olympic Biathlon Gold Medalist with The Beer Baron
2008 All Lines Olympic Gold
The Raven
All Zones

Post by The Raven »

Sorry to hear the Amersham/Chesham corner played up for you. Just keep at it, and you never know! Seems you haven't been put off!
Go Pack Go!
One of the New York Six
Former holder of Zone One, Overground and DLR record
jamesthegill
All Zones

Post by jamesthegill »

Regarding the front of the train - I tend to look for the mirrors, tv screens and signals to determine it.
Holder of the slowest recorded 274 attempt: 4 months, 1 day, 9 hours, 17 minutes, 32 seconds.
Iain
All Zones

Post by Iain »

Thanks everyone :)

That sounds good James, I think something I can check at the time works better than having to keep track of more info, I find after a while it all turns to mush in my head. Another reason to do it with other people. If anyone fancies doing an attempt but not hugely fast running then let me know.

Another think learnt - don't count carriages from the back without knowing how many are on the trains on that line - second from the back on a six carriage train is not the same as second from the back on an eight carriage. I think that might have been what I got wrong going back into Amersham. Not that it made a difference but it could have done on another run.
Full Network: Three completions, Best time: 17:18:18 - thanks Glen, Andrew and Rhys!
geofftech
All Zones

Post by geofftech »

Wow... soul destroying, yes! Going totally solo is never fun. You have my commendation for continuing!

Just goes to show how crap the tube is at the moment .. it's utterly rubbish how shambolic it can be. Bet the residents of Chesham weren't impressed with their first day of the new timetable - their only commuter train between 7 and 8am (there used to be two) and it was cancelled, pathetic.

In the end, if you do challenges enough, you get to know off the top of your head what the door positions are for the changes, you just learn what they are! (Ditto train directons, there aren't that many stations that are right hand running, but once you know them - you know them). Or have an app on your phone which will tells you them all just in case. On my attempt last Friday there was only one connection I needed to double check so I fired up my app on my phone for reference - no pieces of paper required at all.

I don't know how much other stuff people carry, but i just have a notebook/pen, iphone and camera in my hands .. and possibly an empty bottle stuffed in my pocket if i think i'm going to need to go soon. Everything else is farmed out to pointmen/backup, it really does make a difference and is why it is so hard going competely solo - you have to carry all you shit around with you.

Well done again Iain!
Last edited by geofftech on 14 Dec 2011, 18:30, edited 1 time in total.
Iain
All Zones

Post by Iain »

Thanks Geoff. Did you used to run with a rucksack, I seem to recall seeing it in one of your videos?

Yeah I noticed when out with Andi and Tangy that they knew most of the door positions and didn't carry very much - just the odd notebook. I seem particularly prone (especially in cold weather) to need to pee a lot, so I definitely carry a bottle. I carry a load of other things too though - a folder with loads of info about buses, maps for the runs (although I am getting to know these already), plus a load of food that was very welcome. I'm getting to know snack stops though, plenty of the furthest out stations have coffee places. It doesn't matter too much at the moment but when I get some speed back I'm not going to want to carry loads of stuff. I have even started tracking door positions for toilets so I might end up getting rid of the pee bottle!

Ironically yesterday the service status for the Met was "minor delays" - maybe so more centrally but it was drastically worse in the NW corner.

I have an app for my android but I don't think it's as good as the iphone one, just gives the carriage number and I've found a couple already where it's wrong. It also doesn't have the sneaky faster connections that often save loads of time.
palkanetoijala31

Post by palkanetoijala31 »

Iain wrote:Thanks Geoff. Did you used to run with a rucksack, I seem to recall seeing it in one of your videos?

Yeah I noticed when out with Andi and Tangy that they knew most of the door positions and didn't carry very much - just the odd notebook. I seem particularly prone (especially in cold weather) to need to pee a lot, so I definitely carry a bottle. I carry a load of other things too though - a folder with loads of info about buses, maps for the runs (although I am getting to know these already), plus a load of food that was very welcome. I'm getting to know snack stops though, plenty of the furthest out stations have coffee places. It doesn't matter too much at the moment but when I get some speed back I'm not going to want to carry loads of stuff. I have even started tracking door positions for toilets so I might end up getting rid of the pee bottle!

Ironically yesterday the service status for the Met was "minor delays" - maybe so more centrally but it was drastically worse in the NW corner.

I have an app for my android but I don't think it's as good as the iphone one, just gives the carriage number and I've found a couple already where it's wrong. It also doesn't have the sneaky faster connections that often save loads of time.
carriage 7 door 2 on left for LEYTON handy if u have 2 minutes before a hainult loop train.
geofftech
All Zones

Post by geofftech »

Toilets that get used are indeed at Leyton, as well as Epping, Stanmore, Upminster .. and once i even had two minutes so used the ones at Baker Street. I also once used the staff toilet (don't ask) at Aldgate just before doing the run to Aldgate East, and made the District train before my circle one still with just 10 seconds to spare! that was fun. With the new Met timetable i think you now get 3 minutes to use the toilet at Uxbridge, which is marked down as disabled only, but anyone can use it.

Oh and Richmond! I used to have 6 minute turnaround at Richmond, which was 30 seconds run to the concourse, 1 minute in the toilet (used to be free, now 20p), 3 minutes in M&S Simply Food getting snacks & water, and 30 seconds run back to the train again .. and still have a minute to spare! The snack bar on the southbound platform at Woodford is a favourite, and if you have a reverse at Sloane Square and you've got time, there's a snack bar on the westbound platform - i've definetely bought fruit & chocolate there before on a challenge day.

There are toilets and coffee/snacks places at Ealing Broadway as well, but only useful probably if you have a route which is in on the District and out on the Central, or in on the Central and out on the District.

I used the Bus Checker app last week ... really good for knowing if the H9/U1 is coming whilst you're still on the train. You can make the decision to run or wait for the bus, whilst you're still on the train a minute out - dead brilliant.

and yes.. carry.. NOTHING! after the first few times of having a rucksack, i thought "Never again", which of course you can't do if you're solo .. and that's why solo is tough! not impossible though, as others here will tell you as they've done it. but i wouldn't ever do completely solo again that's for sure.

there. i've told you enough ... now go and work out all the door positions (and memorise them) for yourself! :-)
MylesHSG
Zone 5

Post by MylesHSG »

Unlucky Iain, seems the Met was a pig. Atleast it wasn't 10 hours in ey?

You could always join us on the 9th, but you wont get a faster time....
The King is back! Long live The King!
Iain
All Zones

Post by Iain »

I think if I'd been going well then solo wouldn't have felt quite so bad, but even so I still think it would be more fun with others. Trouble is my my mates think I'm mad for doing it (more than once at least) and I think I'd need to be fitter to go with some of the teams on here. It'll come though.

Thanks for the Leyton tip off - it actually meant a lot more to me than the toilet link. I'd not looked at Leyton as a possible Vic/Central transfer point but since two of the most prolific challengers talked about waiting there I figured it must be, so I took a look at the buses :D

Well having put off an attempt last Friday as I thought I was coming down with a cold (I didn't), I've now come down with it today, so a run tomorrow isn't on the cards. Plus I've realised that my new schedule had a mistake in it so I need to rejig it anyway.

Myles - I may well ride with you guys for a bit, I want a time of around 17:30 or less for my nexct run though so I won't do the whole lot.