Ancient history

Let us know about your latest FULL NETWORK CHALLENGE efforts
Wombat
Zone 1

Ancient history

Post by Wombat »

Hi folks,
I have just joined your illustrious grouping and am fascinated to find such mad things are still happening.
My one and only attempt (which was a completion of 273 stations) was back in 1965. We did beat the then record, but use of a taxi (done in innocence without knowing formal rules and to get us out of a hole) downgraded our status to non-public transport. We completed in 18hrs 30min and got coverage in both Kentish Times and Bucks Free Press.
I have oft heard that once something is on the net, it's nigh on impossible to get it changed, but I seek you guys' assistance having recently discovered that there is information out there relating to our ancient excursion into the territory which excites and concerns you all.
I am new to the concept of a forum and note that the protocol requires anonimity and use of pseudonyms. This makes it difficult for me to precisely outline my concern, but I have found both geofftech's website and tubeguru attribute our attempt to a member of our group who gave up 5 hours before completion. As the person who planned and researched the attempt and brought the group together, you may imagine that I am not best pleased.
I have been in touch with geofftech and I now see that he is also a member of this forum. However, my e-mails to tubeguru@tubechallenge have bounced back. As you clearly do still exist, can anyone tell me who I should contact to try and get the record of our trip on the tubeguru website changed?
Also, is anyone aware of any other site which may contain the misinformation which I seek to correct?
Thanks in anticipation,
Wombat.
tubeguru
Site Administrator

Re: Ancient history

Post by tubeguru »

Hi!

Yeah, the email thing needs fixing. Thanks for reminding me that they bounce back though - I really need to sort that out.

If you send me a private message (click on the PM button to the right of THIS post under your my name) I'll make sure it gets changed, and I'll also pass it onto Geoff. I'm not aware of any other sites that list ALL of the information about world record attempts, but there may be a member or two of this forum who maintain their own lists.

Of course, you could just post the details up in this thread so we can all see the correction!
One thing only do I know, and that is that I know nothing - Socrates.

Champion of bugger all, 2004 to 2022
Member of sweet FA
Wombat
Zone 1

Post by Wombat »

Is it permissible to name names then??!!!
tubeguru
Site Administrator

Post by tubeguru »

What, of the guys who were out with you that day?

Are they named on Geoff's website in the 1965 times he has on there? If so, then their names are known in the public domain so there can be no harm in naming them. If, however they have remained anonymous until now it's down to you to decide it you want to "out" them. I daresay no harm will come of it, as 1965 was a very long time ago. My mum and dad met the following year I believe!
One thing only do I know, and that is that I know nothing - Socrates.

Champion of bugger all, 2004 to 2022
Member of sweet FA