BigWigs Tube Challenge

Let us know about your latest FULL NETWORK CHALLENGE efforts
v28kab
Zone 1

BigWigs Tube Challenge

Post by v28kab »

Hello everyone!

We're carrying out a Tube Challenge on the 9th November on behalf of Sue Ryder Bigwigs. We're aiming to raise £15,000 for this great cause. We've started by asking for donations, and getting sponsors for each team. Each team will display the sponsors banner at each station, take pictures, tweet and post to Facebook. We'll also have a Facebook app that allows you to track our progress on the day and to upload pictures of us.

We would LOVE you to get involved! We're looking for people to join us on the day (and join our evening party!), as well as spreading the word to their friends and social networks. We want to get as many people talking about this as possible to raise our profile and help us reach our ambitious target. If you have any PR or press contacts, or contacts who could help fund Oyster cards that would also help.

If you can help us in any way please get in touch with us via Facebook, Twitter or my email is karen@purplefrog.co.uk. Alternatively if you can spare a few pounds for Sue Ryder hospices please Text TUBE50 £3 to 70070 and support us today!

http://www.facebook.com/PurpleFrogUK
http://www.justgiving.com/purplefrog-tube-challenge
http://www.purplefrog.co.uk/
http://twitter.com/#!/PurpleFrogUK

Many thanks

Karen
The Raven
All Zones

Re: BigWigs Tube Challenge

Post by The Raven »

Welcome to the forum!

May I suggest using traditional paper tickets when tube challenging as oyster cards have a habit of not coping with the amout of journeys undertaken during tube challenges. Having a oyster card in reserve is a good idea though! :D
Go Pack Go!
One of the New York Six
Former holder of Zone One, Overground and DLR record
Root
All Zones

Post by Root »

Hi, welcome to the forum. Best of luck with the challenge and fundraising. I watched the video on your website and I was just wondering, do you need special permission to advertise on the London Underground? I would guess that you do.
2012 Formula 1 predictions competition
Rules and discussion - Entry form - Results and standings
tubeguru
Site Administrator

Post by tubeguru »

I've moved this into the FNC forum, as it's obvious that people are interested in this, and that updates and/or a write-up will appear in this thread.
One thing only do I know, and that is that I know nothing - Socrates.

Champion of bugger all, 2004 to 2022
Member of sweet FA
Starkey7
All Zones

Post by Starkey7 »

Yeah your Oyster cards will so like freak out, innit.
v28kab
Zone 1

Post by v28kab »

Thanks for your welcome messages!

We'll be advertising our sponsors outside each station so we don't see an issue with advertising conflicts. We have informed TFL of the challenge just to be on the safe side as well.

If anyone wants to help out in any way please let me know. Otherwise please just spread the word! :D
Root
All Zones

Post by Root »

v28kab wrote:We'll be advertising our sponsors outside each station so we don't see an issue with advertising conflicts. We have informed TFL of the challenge just to be on the safe side as well.
Does that mean you'll be exiting every station as you go around? That would make it so much more difficult.
2012 Formula 1 predictions competition
Rules and discussion - Entry form - Results and standings
moley
Site Administrator

Post by moley »

Just echoing Root's omment and noot wishing to be negative however if you intend to exit each station then you are not likely to get round all 270 in the day.

By my reckoning, some stations - such as Epping / Chesham, you could be out through the barriers, photo and back in within 60 seconds.

Oxford Circus however, to the escalators, up the escalators, through the ticket hall, up the stairs - then picture and then back again. 5 minutes would not be unreasonbale.
Tube Forum administrator. I look after the database to keep this place running smoothly.
RichieG
Zone 6
Location: Still getting lost between Aldgate and Aldgate East

Post by RichieG »

Even just onto the platform (which is how I read it)* would take time to do and make a day an optimistic target. Also intrigued about the notion of an 'evening party' - surely that'd be on a different day as even without leaving the train at each station.

I hope I'm not sounding negative here! I'm really not, just as with some of the others I'm commenting on a couple of things it looks like you're aiming to do as I don't think it will be possible.

Hope the day goes well for you and will look forward to hearing about it and how it went.

(I seem to recall a while ago reading here about somebody's attempt which started at Epping at 9am, and they stopped for a pub lunch at somewhere... and were surprised when they didn't come even close to completing...)

(* just scrolled down to see the previous messages to see what day you're doing this and I see you are planning to go outside stations... as Root and Moley have said, it won't be possible to do all 270 if you do this, and will make what will already be a tiring day even moreso!)
Attempts: 2 (17h38m, 238 stations) (unknown, 200 stations); Completions: 0; GWR: 0; PBs: 0.
#####################################
The Richie G website: occasionally frequently updated.
v28kab
Zone 1

Post by v28kab »

Hi everyone,

Sorry if there has been some confusion here but we are not attempting to break the record (which is why I initially put this post in a different category). This is a fundraising and awareness event and therefore we have split the stations across several teams. We expect each team to take 5 - 6 hours to cover their allocated stations.

I really appreciate all your advice! No wonder you thought we would not do it within the record!! :D

Whilst we may not be carrying out the official challenge, we still need all the help we can get to raise £15,000 so please keep talking about us and spreading the word! Remember the URL for donations is http://www.justgiving.com/purplefrog-tube-challenge

Karen
moley
Site Administrator

Post by moley »

Ah! ok, that makes a lot more sense!

I'd appreciated that you were not going for the record but I had been concerned that you would not complete everything between the start of service and the end of service.

If you've only got about 50 stations each then that its not soo bad!
Tube Forum administrator. I look after the database to keep this place running smoothly.
v28kab
Zone 1

Post by v28kab »

No not too bad! :)

If anyone wants to cheers along, we're starting at Leicester Square at 9am next Wednesday. Please join us for pictures and to wave us off!

Once again, here is our sponsorship page for all you good people to help us out! http://www.justgiving.com/purplefrog-tube-challenge
v28kab
Zone 1

Post by v28kab »

A reminder to everyone that our Tube Challenge is Wednesday!

You'll see 30 of us in London in bright green hoodies, or you can follow us using our Facebook app that tracks our progress in real time. If you see us please take a picture and upload it to our app.

http://www.facebook.com/PurpleFrogUK

Another reminder that our fundraising page is here! http://www.justgiving.com/purplefrog-tube-challenge

:D
v28kab
Zone 1

Post by v28kab »

Hi everyone!

The day was a great success! You can see a video of all our images taken on the day here.....

http://www.purplefrog.co.uk/2011/11/vis ... -in-1-day/

Karen
moley
Site Administrator

Post by moley »

Really well done with this - a fantastic achievement.

Heres hoping that you reach your goal in the next couple of months.