I must be mad...

Let us know about your latest FULL NETWORK CHALLENGE efforts
al
Zone 6

I must be mad...

Post by al »

As our attempt today didn't succeed, it is time for my 'Plan B' to come into effect. This is to try every day this week to break the record. My thinking is that I can't be unlucky five days in a row :!: As Andi has already proven that doing two full attempts in two days is physically ultra-demanding, I will only compete the following day if I have abandoned by lunchtime the previous day.

Therefore, I will presumably see Nigel at a certain leafy neighbourhood's station tomorrow morning. Wish me luck...
Held some Alternative Challenge records for a long time.
Doesn't any more.
Root
All Zones

Re: I must be mad...

Post by Root »

al wrote:My thinking is that I can't be unlucky five days in a row :!:

Wish me luck...
I am very happy to wish you luck, but don't you think that the route is more important than luck? Hopefully you have a good one, or it will be five wasted days!
2012 Formula 1 predictions competition
Rules and discussion - Entry form - Results and standings
Nigel
Zone 5

Post by Nigel »

al wrote: Therefore, I will presumably see Nigel at a certain leafy neighbourhood's station tomorrow morning. Wish me luck...
I expect I will see you in the morning :) . I'm only guessing, but I think our paths will diverge at the first out of station run.
al
Zone 6

Post by al »

Root wrote: I am very happy to wish you luck, but don't you think that the route is more important than luck? Hopefully you have a good one, or it will be five wasted days!
A good route is important, but sadly it counts for squat if the network disintegrates around you!
Doesn't any more.
al
Zone 6

Post by al »

Nigel wrote:
al wrote: Therefore, I will presumably see Nigel at a certain leafy neighbourhood's station tomorrow morning. Wish me luck...
I expect I will see you in the morning :) . I'm only guessing, but I think our paths will diverge at the first out of station run.
Intriguing!
Doesn't any more.
tubeguru
Site Administrator

Post by tubeguru »

al wrote:My thinking is that I can't be unlucky five days in a row ....
I suppose that statistically (and very generally) you have a 50/50 chance of each day being a "good" day or a "bad" day. So there is a very good chance that each day will be bad. Using the old "it can't be bad five days in a row" theory is risky, as there are many examples in life of bad runs or streaks.

Take football - it's easy for your team to lose five matches in a row, regardless of how well they played on the day. Before the first of those five matches it would be easy for the fans to say "we can't lose all of our next five games - we have to win one of them", but it don't work like that. :)

Good luck. :lol:
One thing only do I know, and that is that I know nothing - Socrates.

Champion of bugger all, 2004 to 2022
Member of sweet FA
greatkingrat
All Zones

Post by greatkingrat »

It would be very annoying if Friday turns out to be a perfect day, but you are so tired from earlier in the week that you can't make the runs.
Soon to be yet another forum train driver
al
Zone 6

Post by al »

greatkingrat wrote:It would be very annoying if Friday turns out to be a perfect day, but you are so tired from earlier in the week that you can't make the runs.
Indeed, but I'm slightly fed up picking 'random' dates and not even getting close, so I thought I'd try a different approach. I can always go back to the previous methodology if it proves unworkable and/or unsuccesful.
Doesn't any more.
Going Underground
The Twilight Zone

Post by Going Underground »

Don't forget the Cannon Street Run VI, which looks like Thursday if you have aborted before 1845hrs
Twice former full network GWR holder and former Zone 1 Olympic and World Record holder with The Raven and Soupie
Tube personality of the year 2009
Twice Winter Olympic Biathlon Gold Medalist with The Beer Baron
2008 All Lines Olympic Gold
Root
All Zones

Post by Root »

tubeguru wrote:
al wrote:My thinking is that I can't be unlucky five days in a row ....
I suppose that statistically (and very generally) you have a 50/50 chance of each day being a "good" day or a "bad" day. So there is a very good chance that each day will be bad. Using the old "it can't be bad five days in a row" theory is risky, as there are many examples in life of bad runs or streaks.
If there really is a 1/2 chance of getting a bad day, then before the week starts, there's only a 1/32 chance of all five being bad. A 31/32 chance of getting one good day sounds good to me, though I don't think I'm crazy enough to break my body over five attempts to achieve it.

Having said that, your theory is probably a bit more accurate than the numbers would suggest, as problems that happen on one day could easily re-occur (say, bad weather) or have knock-on effects. And all the other usual caveats apply: a bad day could turn out to be good if you avoid the problems and get the odd negative time connection etc. It's worth remembering that even if you get tails one day, you still only have a fifty-fifty chance of getting heads the next day :)
2012 Formula 1 predictions competition
Rules and discussion - Entry form - Results and standings
tubeguru
Site Administrator

Post by tubeguru »

Knowing the tube, there is an extremely good chance that you will have "bad" runs on each day. I mean, look at all the attempts that people do which end in abortions or non-record times. Your really do need to get that small chance of success to fall into place. But as you're out five days in a row, there's a chance that you might get lucky on one of those days. But the overall odds of success are against you if we're honest.

Member of sweet FA
Starkey7
All Zones

Post by Starkey7 »

They are against him, but not as much as if he only went out once and attempted it.
tubeguru
Site Administrator

Post by tubeguru »

Well of course, as he is giving himself more of a chance of success by taking more attempts. But that also allows a failure rate of five out of five.

Member of sweet FA
al
Zone 6

Post by al »

Currently about 20 down :(

(Bad luck Nigel by the way)
Doesn't any more.
Nigel
Zone 5

Post by Nigel »

Anybody heard any more from Al? Twenty minutes can be caught up. I think he sensibly avoided the mess I got caught up in. Though by around 4pm it was getting rather unpleasantly warm (for charging round the tube, that is).