I must be mad...

Let us know about your latest FULL NETWORK CHALLENGE efforts
Sam
The Twilight Zone

Re: I must be mad...

Post by Sam »

I'll let Al give you all the details but he has aborted, not too long ago.
:D First and so far only female solo record holder!! :D

Ze forum's female train driver
al
Zone 6

Post by al »

I'm currently sat in the pub waiting for a steak! Abandoned about an hour ago as had deterioated to 40 mins down.

I managed to catch up the time i had lost when still with Nigel quite quickly, but it slowly ebbed away about an hour later, all because a train took five minutes longer than it should have. That got me to where i last posted.

Things improved briefly for a time, but an awful station to station connection left me 25 down, and my route no longer worked. Tried a last chance rejig but alas it was not to be.

Lets see if Thursday is any better!
Held some Alternative Challenge records for a long time.
Doesn't any more.
hopeful traveller
All Zones

Post by hopeful traveller »

al wrote:I'm currently sat in the pub waiting for a steak! Abandoned about an hour ago as had deterioated to 40 mins down.

I managed to catch up the time i had lost when still with Nigel quite quickly, but it slowly ebbed away about an hour later, all because a train took five minutes longer than it should have. That got me to where i last posted.

Things improved briefly for a time, but an awful station to station connection left me 25 down, and my route no longer worked. Tried a last chance rejig but alas it was not to be.

No, No, No, No, No. Completion is what you guys need to do! I wasn't even halfway through my all lines when the record blew but I still completed!
1 FNC Completion (PB: 17:18:18 with G Bryant, A Chilcraft, I MacNaughton)
4 Zone Ones (PB: 03:00:35 with G Bryant)
15 R15s (PB: 01:55:48 with T Cooling and R Jackson)
11 All Lines (PB: 00:44:03)
Winner of the 2014 Formula 1 Side Competition
Sam
The Twilight Zone

Post by Sam »

Completion means NOTHING. If the record is gone, there is zero point in carrying on. Especially for Al when he is back out on Thursday so needs to conserve his energy.
:D First and so far only female solo record holder!! :D

Ze forum's female train driver
Nigel
Zone 5

Post by Nigel »

hopeful traveller wrote: No, No, No, No, No. Completion is what you guys need to do! I wasn't even halfway through my all lines when the record blew but I still completed!
Sam wrote:Completion means NOTHING. If the record is gone, there is zero point in carrying on. Especially for Al when he is back out on Thursday so needs to conserve his energy.
I'm half way between you two in my views. I think everyone should try to complete at least once, then, for me, a chance to improve your previous best time is still good enough incentive to carry on.
Root
All Zones

Post by Root »

hopeful traveller wrote: No, No, No, No, No. Completion is what you guys need to do! I wasn't even halfway through my all lines when the record blew but I still completed!
That's your opinion, but I'd be interested to hear your justification for it. Why is completion so important, in your opinion, and why would you encourage others to complete whenever possible?
2012 Formula 1 predictions competition
Rules and discussion - Entry form - Results and standings
jamesthegill
All Zones

Post by jamesthegill »

After taking four months to complete the first time, I wanted to complete the second time just to say that I had done it. While the time wasn't near record breaking, it was a personal best and I can say "yes, I've done that".
Holder of the slowest recorded 274 attempt: 4 months, 1 day, 9 hours, 17 minutes, 32 seconds.
tubeguru
Site Administrator

Post by tubeguru »

Root wrote:
That's your opinion, but I'd be interested to hear your justification for it. Why is completion so important, in your opinion, and why would you encourage others to complete whenever possible?
This is all a personal opinion.

The idea of doing this in the first place is to get the record. You may wish to continue to the end once the record is gone, but there's not really any point, because you're still a loser either way.
One thing only do I know, and that is that I know nothing - Socrates.

Champion of bugger all, 2004 to 2022
Member of sweet FA
palkanetoijala31

Post by palkanetoijala31 »

Even though i have quit so many times there is still a satisfaction of completing the lot not as much as the 1st one back in jan 2008 but still a pat on the back when i do.
al
Zone 6

Post by al »

I would have completed if there was even a chance of getting a PB, but that was out of the question at the end. The first completion I got (with Root) was very satisfying at the time, as was my second when I improved on that time. But the other nine times have not been so good, and I'm not keen on flogging the proverbial dead horse (or, for that matter, an actual dead horse!)
Doesn't any more.
Nigel
Zone 5

Post by Nigel »

al wrote:
It's a good job you didn't try again this morning - big problems on four lines at the moment.
al
Zone 6

Post by al »

I think I'd have stopped already looking at that lot - no matter which way you go from the traditional start you'd be stuffed!
Doesn't any more.
geofftech
All Zones

Post by geofftech »

Completing is really important for lots of reasons. The main ones being:

- A sense of satisfaction that you have completed, especially if you have never done so before.
- It may prove/test parts of your route later in the day which you would not otherwise get to because you keep quitting.
- I've been 20 minutes down before, and got the time back. A late running service later on might occur (as it has to me) and get you back on track
- Having an overview of your whole day and being able to see what worked and what didn't is very useful when planning future attempts

So good luck Al .. but FIVE DAY IN A ROW? Gosh, that's going to hurt. If you're doing all the running that you have to nowadays, then by Friday you're going to be very sore indeed and you may end up injuring yourself. So warm up, stretch, and take care out there!
Edgemaster
Zone 5

Post by Edgemaster »

This morning has really not been good for the tube:
Early morning suspension for the east end of the central line cleared by 7am
Signal failure at Mansion House worsened throughout the morning, Circle suspended from 7am, District suspended through the central section at 8am
Bridge strike at Gunnersbury at 8am, suspending the Richmond branch
Bridge strike at Queen's Park at 8.20am, suspending Bakerloo north of Queen's Park
Picadilly Uxbridge branch suspended from Acton Town, due to signal failure at Ealing Common, only just fully reopened with delays
Mansion House fallout now spreading to H&C with minor delays...
Going Underground
The Twilight Zone

Post by Going Underground »

Edgemaster wrote:This morning has really not been good for the tube:
Early morning suspension for the east end of the central line cleared by 7am
Signal failure at Mansion House worsened throughout the morning, Circle suspended from 7am, District suspended through the central section at 8am
Bridge strike at Gunnersbury at 8am, suspending the Richmond branch
Bridge strike at Queen's Park at 8.20am, suspending Bakerloo north of Queen's Park
Picadilly Uxbridge branch suspended from Acton Town, due to signal failure at Ealing Common, only just fully reopened with delays
Mansion House fallout now spreading to H&C with minor delays...

Gosh, hope it all clears up for The Cannon Street run tomorrow :shock: :wink:
Twice former full network GWR holder and former Zone 1 Olympic and World Record holder with The Raven and Soupie
Tube personality of the year 2009
Twice Winter Olympic Biathlon Gold Medalist with The Beer Baron
2008 All Lines Olympic Gold