Full network attempt(s) in 2011

Let us know about your latest FULL NETWORK CHALLENGE efforts
Nigel
Zone 5

Full network attempt(s) in 2011

Post by Nigel »

After lurking on this forum for far too long, I've finally decided to get my act together and try to complete my first full network sometime in 2011. I can't make CiN on 11 March (and anyway dressing up is not my thing).

It would appear to be the case on the current timetable that, without disclosing any secrets, maximising your chance of completing (i.e. starting on the first train of the day) is not conducive to a fast time. So my first attempt will aim just to complete. I've got planned routes (with alternatives to avoid problems on lines at certain times). I'm going to spend the next six weeks thoroughly researching these on the ground. If all goes well, I've pencilled in 15 March for my first attempt.

Depending on how that goes, I'll either say:
(i) Never again - my wife was right, I've gone completely mad!
(ii) Great - let's now try it again with a later start and get a fast time.
(iii) Oh no, problems on the day mean I didn't get round, but let's try again.
(iv) My assumptions didn't work in reality - back to the drawing board.

If anyone needs any support for any of their attempts - let me know, and I'll certainly try to help if I'm free.
Starkey7
All Zones

Re: Full network attempt(s) in 2011

Post by Starkey7 »

Enjoy!
Nigel
Zone 5

Post by Nigel »

Everything had been going so well in my preparations for a first full network attempt next week:
- Core route and alternatives determined;
- Door positions checked;
- Buses and runs surveyed;
- Fitness levels improving;
- Accommodation booked.

Then I decide to go for another little run this afternoon. Three quarters of the way through my intended route I get a sudden sharp pain in my lower right calf, symptomatic of a tear in the muscle. Get back, apply ice, but now I'm hobbling.

I'm feeling gutted at the moment. I can only hope for a speedy recovery, but if my leg remains as it is tonight then I won't be able to venture out (as I can't even walk properly). Even it it does recover sufficiently, I will be very wary about running hard. Since my first attempt was going to be about trying to complete, rather than get a fast time, I will try to go on 15 March if I possibly can. If I don't manage it, then commitments mean that I won't have another chance for over a month (i.e. late April). I'll just have to see how it goes and make a final decision at the weekend.
Going Underground
The Twilight Zone

Post by Going Underground »

Ouch that doesn't sound good and very much like a tear...

Sorry to say but this kind of "sporting" injury will probably takes months to heal so unfortunately I cant see how you will be able to get out on 15th March :(
Twice former full network GWR holder and former Zone 1 Olympic and World Record holder with The Raven and Soupie
Tube personality of the year 2009
Twice Winter Olympic Biathlon Gold Medalist with The Beer Baron
2008 All Lines Olympic Gold
nozzacook
All Zones

Post by nozzacook »

When i tore my calf muscle it was 8wks before i could run properly & tube challenging is propably the worst conditions for a weak leg, as you run than sit of stand for long times then run again without space to warm back up properly.
26 miles 385yards in 4h 14m 40s.
tubeguru
Site Administrator

Post by tubeguru »

Being fit is bad for you.
One thing only do I know, and that is that I know nothing - Socrates.

Champion of bugger all, 2004 to 2022
Member of sweet FA
Root
All Zones

Post by Root »

nozzacook wrote:as you run than sit of stand for long times
I don't understand.

Tough luck, Nigel.
2012 Formula 1 predictions competition
Rules and discussion - Entry form - Results and standings
Starkey7
All Zones

Post by Starkey7 »

Nozza meant that you run, and then you sit OR stand for long periods of time, before suddenly running again.

Mate, you can still do the challenge; just walk the interchanges. Or plan a "lazy-boy" route that minimises the time taken for changes.
Sam
The Twilight Zone

Post by Sam »

of is or in Dutch ;)
:D First and so far only female solo record holder!! :D

Ze forum's female train driver
Steeevooo
All Zones

Post by Steeevooo »

U kunt ;)
Sam
The Twilight Zone

Post by Sam »

u kunt indeed haha :P
:D First and so far only female solo record holder!! :D

Ze forum's female train driver
Nigel
Zone 5

Post by Nigel »

As predicted in earlier comments by others, my leg has not recovered, although the pain has eased. I certainly can't run at the moment. Although tempted to still go out on Tuesday and walk, I think caution must prevail, as even going up steps is sore, and I think 18 hours of chasing around could wreck me for some time. I've got too many important things to do later this week to risk not being able to walk (or drive).

I had originally considered one of the three working days between Easter & the Royal Wedding as my next available opportunity for another attempt, but I've just discovered that while the Undergroud should be running a normal service, one of the other lines I may need to use is closed all that week for engineering works - so that looks less ideal now. If my injury does continue to improve, I may try to rejig some of my other commitments to see if I could squeeze in an attempt before Easter - otherwise I'll have to wait until May which seems a long way off, given I'm all prepared. If I leave it too long then the timetable will change and I'll have to start replanning.
Nigel
Zone 5

Post by Nigel »

As reported in my previous post, I said I would see if I could find time for an attempt before Easter. So, leaving it until the last possible day, I booked out Maundy Thursday (i.e. 21 April) for my rescheduled first full network.

I still dont seem to having much luck:
(a) My calf remains rather tender five weeks after the tear which caused the initial cancellation. I can walk, but I'm not sure how it will stand up to much running.
(b) In the last couple of days I've gone down with a nasty cold.
(c) The weather forecast for Thursday is an unpleasant (for tube challenging that is) 23C.

I'm very reluctant to cancel again. So unless some disaster occurs in the next 36 hours, this attempt remains on! However, it will be focussed on attempting to complete, rather than getting a fast time. In particular, I will aim to catch the first train of the day, and will only try to run when necessary - for example, if it would gain a huge block of time. On paper, I believe that I have potentially a very good core route and that with the right starting time, a good service and a bit of luck, it could produce a competitive time. But Thursday will not be the day to test that out - instead I just want to get round, which is no mean feat in itself given the number of recent attempts that have failed even to do that. Of course, it may be that I have the over-confidence of a newcomer, and that I will learn some harsh realites when I actually try to spend all day on the tube.

I will try to post progress updates every couple of hours or so on Twitter (@whitenigel). But be warned that I have only a basic mobile phone and my phone skills are limited, so tweeting by text will be a new experience for me.

Given my recent luck, I'm not sure if I'll get beyond the first station before being stranded by a line closure.
Wanstead
Zone 4

Post by Wanstead »

Best of luck there and I'll be sure to check on your tweeted progress.
Full Network - Attempts: 1 | Completions: 1 (17h28m57s on 14/09/09)
Nigel
Zone 5

Post by Nigel »

Many thanks to all those who followed my progress on Twitter yesterday. For those that didn't, I got round all 270 stations in a time of 17h50m19s, and I'm really pleased that I achieved achieved my primary objective of a completion. :D

Apologies to those who found my tweets a little cryptic. I'm home now, and will try to prepare a fuller report of what was an incident packed day.