Full network attempt(s) in 2011

Let us know about your latest FULL NETWORK CHALLENGE efforts
Sam
The Twilight Zone

Re: Full network attempt(s) in 2011

Post by Sam »

I agree!! I also blame the escalators, they're a nightmare to run up and down!
:D First and so far only female solo record holder!! :D

Ze forum's female train driver
Going Underground
The Twilight Zone

Post by Going Underground »

Sam wrote:I agree!! I also blame the escalators, they're a nightmare to run up and down!
I find the step size very awkward, it's too much of a stretch for me to do two at a time so I end up doing one at a time taking quicker and shorter steps then ideal :!:
Twice former full network GWR holder and former Zone 1 Olympic and World Record holder with The Raven and Soupie
Tube personality of the year 2009
Twice Winter Olympic Biathlon Gold Medalist with The Beer Baron
2008 All Lines Olympic Gold
palkanetoijala31

Post by palkanetoijala31 »

i smashed my face open cut deep gashes into my leg on escalators adham was practically bleeding blood all over a carriage last time fallen flat on my face at uxbridge and still made train my body is riddled with scars of the tube.
The Raven
All Zones

Post by The Raven »

I reckon that your right that stairs/escalators are the the main cause of people's knee trouble. Mind you how do solve the problem? Climb lots of mountains?
Go Pack Go!
One of the New York Six
Former holder of Zone One, Overground and DLR record
Nigel
Zone 5

Post by Nigel »

The Raven wrote:I reckon that your right that stairs/escalators are the the main cause of people's knee trouble. Mind you how do solve the problem? Climb lots of mountains?
I reckon that it was mountain climbing (or rather coming down them with a heavy back pack) which was the original cause of my knee problems, not marathon running.
geofftech
All Zones

Post by geofftech »

I absolutely refuse to run up stairs. It's bad for your knees, and saps your energy.

Say (example) you're coming into West Ruislip to run to Ickenham. Train doors open .. pelt it up the steps as fast as you can? Noo! Learnt my lesson on that one long ago. Walk it briskly, or a light jog up the steps, DON'T go hell for leather on it. THEN! once you're through the barriers, and on the level .. that's when you start running. And keep running. All the way to Ickenham. Running up steps at a sprint pace at the start of a run connection is a sure-fire way to immediately drain yourself.

And I always warm/stretch up. Usually, as soon as the train leaves Watford heading for the Harrows, photo/logging is taken over by a pointman, and I spend the entire 20 minute stretching every muscle in my body. Makes that first run so much easier.
Nigel
Zone 5

Post by Nigel »

geofftech wrote:I absolutely refuse to run up stairs. It's bad for your knees, and saps your energy.
I would generally agree, but sometimes you just have to run on stairs. On my completion in August, I didn't notice any particular problem with my knee during the day. However, very late on, I had a double back change (down one set of stairs and up another) which on paper was a comfortable four minute connection, but due to late running I saw the train I wanted arriving as the doors opened on the one I was on. I had no option but to charge down and up, only just making it. I think this one change may have triggered my current knee problem.
Sam
The Twilight Zone

Post by Sam »

Its also all very well saying you get your point man to take over doing photos so you can prepare properly but not everyone is lucky enough to have a point man!!
:D First and so far only female solo record holder!! :D

Ze forum's female train driver
geofftech
All Zones

Post by geofftech »

Ok, to be clearer on that one ...

If I know i'm about to embark on a 5/6/7 minutes run, that is NOT the time to go running upstairs. Walk them. No really - walk them. I know it takes all the will power in the world to do it because you want to go dashing off, but you need to save your energy for when you're on the level and not exhaust yourself by sprinting up some steps before you start a long run.

And this of course only counts when you're doing one of the long runs. When you're doing an inter-station change (e.g Sloane Square reversal), then obviously yes you should run up/down the stairs/escalators. Especially if a train is coming in the other direction!

Pointman essential for tertiary duties Sam, yes! That's why I refuse to do it solo nowadays. You need that level of support!
Starkey7
All Zones

Post by Starkey7 »

I would disagree that running upwards is bad for your legs; it's actually a very good, safe work-out for them. Running downwards, on the other hand, is not as safe.

However on a challenge, running upstairs is not a good idea in terms of energy. For example, during the Goodge Street to Russell Square run, woe betide you if you run up the spiral stairs. I generally just walk up the stairs two at a time, and then run when I'm on the flat, as Geoff said.
The Raven
All Zones

Post by The Raven »

Starkey7 wrote:I would disagree that running upwards is bad for your legs; it's actually a very good, safe work-out for them. Running downwards, on the other hand, is not as safe.

However on a challenge, running upstairs is not a good idea in terms of energy. For example, during the Goodge Street to Russell Square run, woe betide you if you run up the spiral stairs. I generally just walk up the stairs two at a time, and then run when I'm on the flat, as Geoff said.
I found the Goodge Street run was knackering enough, let alone the stairs!
Go Pack Go!
One of the New York Six
Former holder of Zone One, Overground and DLR record
Nigel
Zone 5

Post by Nigel »

Nigel wrote:
I'm not sure when (or even if) I will go out again. I fear that I have exacerbated my old knee injury (on which I had a botched operation 8 years ago) and have been told by the doctors never to run at all. I don't think I can risk trying again until it settles down, and I'm not optimistic that it can be cleared up quickly. :(
I had been toying with the idea of trying a full network once more before the timetables changed, but that won't be happening. I've been so busy recently that the only possible opportunity would have been earlier this week, but I was too tired to consider it. Also my knee has not really recovered - so no more hard runs on my routes. :(

I'll see how things go, but until (unless?) they next have a special exhibition service for Olympia, I can't see myself trying again.
tubeguru
Site Administrator

Post by tubeguru »

Give it up Nige; it's overrated. :roll:
One thing only do I know, and that is that I know nothing - Socrates.

Champion of bugger all, 2004 to 2022
Member of sweet FA
Username
Zone 1

Post by Username »

I found that on one attempt I hurt my knee on the first run of the day and it just got worse and worse throughout the day to the point that every time I started moving after sitting down or just standing still I could barely put any weight on it. It would then warm up and I continued on it for the whole day in a lot of pain and only occasionally did it suddenly collapse under me on a run. I finally realised that it must have been caused by looking over my right shoulder repeatedly to see if a bus was coming while running and so twisting my knee each time (and then once you've done this original twisting, all running, stair climbing etc. is probably doing it more damage. I made myself stop if I wanted to look behind me last time and had no knee problems.