Sponsored tube challenge - first attempt

Let us know about your latest FULL NETWORK CHALLENGE efforts
queerpup
Zone 1

Sponsored tube challenge - first attempt

Post by queerpup »

Hello all,

I've decided to do a tube challenge to raise money for a friend's son, as he needs a new wheelchair and it can't be funded by the NHS.

I've not done it before, but I wanted to adapt it a little to mean I could do it alone, and add some kind of interest for sponsorship.

I'll be attempting to cover the whole network, but more importantly, I'll be getting off at interchanges, going to the outside of the station to take a photo to prove I was there, and then getting on again. I know this is going to add a stupid amount of time to the challenge, but I'm not going for speed - I'm asking for sponsorship per interchange station "bagged".

Has anyone else done it this way?

Also, do I need to include the DLR and the Overground networks?

Best wishes

Robin

http://misplacedmarbles.blogspot.com/
Visit http://misplacedmarbles.blogspot.com/20 ... heels.html to help me raise money for Louis' new powerchair!
www.digitallouis.com
Sam
The Twilight Zone

Re: Sponsored tube challenge - first attempt

Post by Sam »

The normal Tube Challenge is to not include the DLR and Overground. I believe if you added them in, then you would not get around in a day, so just stick to every station!

Good Luck! :)
:D First and so far only female solo record holder!! :D

Ze forum's female train driver
queerpup
Zone 1

Post by queerpup »

Thanks Sam!

The charity I'm doing it for have sent me a letter explaining what I'm doing - are people generally left alone by LU staff? I've taken photos on the tube before and never had a problem (without flash, no tripod, without getting in the way etc), but because this involves lots of getting on and off I'm hoping it won't attract unhelpful attention.
Visit http://misplacedmarbles.blogspot.com/20 ... heels.html to help me raise money for Louis' new powerchair!
www.digitallouis.com
Sam
The Twilight Zone

Post by Sam »

You'll be ok, just don't bring attention to yourself...!

Just as long as you just jump out, take a few photos without flash or tripod then you'll probably just get classed as a run of the mill tourist.

How much do you need to raise?
:D First and so far only female solo record holder!! :D

Ze forum's female train driver
queerpup
Zone 1

Post by queerpup »

Phew - I was hoping that'd be the case. I mean, I won't be wearing anything silly, just looking like your average nerd :)

The family need to raise £21,000. I've set myself a target of £500, but I might have been a bit ambitious with that target!
www.digitallouis.com
palkanetoijala31

Post by palkanetoijala31 »

Wow a worthy cause indeed kudos to you I sponser you £5 for a photo of Oxford Circus good luck on monday.
Going Underground
The Twilight Zone

Post by Going Underground »

Best of luck with it :) Most routes have around 50 interchanges so I think you will be hard pressed to complete the network... A similiar challenge where photos are taken is "The Park Challenge" and although this is only 24 stations because your are continually leaving the network this can take 7 - 8 hours alone...
Last edited by Going Underground on 07 Dec 2010, 15:50, edited 1 time in total.
Twice former full network GWR holder and former Zone 1 Olympic and World Record holder with The Raven and Soupie
Tube personality of the year 2009
Twice Winter Olympic Biathlon Gold Medalist with The Beer Baron
2008 All Lines Olympic Gold
tubeguru
Site Administrator

Post by tubeguru »

The way most people who use the railway every day are bellyaching about it, the "getting to work" challenge alone takes about three to four hours most mornings.
One thing only do I know, and that is that I know nothing - Socrates.

Champion of bugger all, 2004 to 2022
Member of sweet FA
queerpup
Zone 1

Post by queerpup »

I have the most important map printed out - the one with all the toilets marked out. My camera's charging, as is the battery back-up for my phone. I have the makings of plenty of sandwiches, a bottle for water, and some savoury munching snacks. I also have £150 raised so far, and people pledging £1 for each interchange bagged - so the motivation is there.

Now I just need to get up nice and early to be at Southwark (my chosen starting point) for 07:30, and I'll get as much covered as I can.

Whee!

Best wishes all

Robin
www.digitallouis.com
palkanetoijala31

Post by palkanetoijala31 »

queerpup wrote:I have the most important map printed out - the one with all the toilets marked out. My camera's charging, as is the battery back-up for my phone. I have the makings of plenty of sandwiches, a bottle for water, and some savoury munching snacks. I also have £150 raised so far, and people pledging £1 for each interchange bagged - so the motivation is there.

Now I just need to get up nice and early to be at Southwark (my chosen starting point) for 07:30, and I'll get as much covered as I can.

Whee!

Best wishes all

Robin
Well an interesting start position if ever but seriously Good luck.
queerpup
Zone 1

Post by queerpup »

Oh my word, that was fun!

I got nowhere near the whole network - all the getting out at stations and battling shoppers and commuters seriously took their toll. But it was great! I also diverted twice to meet friends that wanted to do a bit of the journey. The important thing, though, is that I raised £350 - ish so far, and that's without sending the mob round to collect from people that have pledged and not yet paid. *grin*

I have now been bitten by the bug though, and I'm planning a serious run... think it'll be in the new year, not sure when, but I'm quite excited by the prospect.

Thanks all!

Robin
www.digitallouis.com
moley
Site Administrator

Post by moley »

Well done with your charity day.

Glad that you've been bitten by the bug. A serious attempt takes a different kind of planning involving a lot of detail. Hopefully your experience has guided you to some things that will help.
Tube Forum administrator. I look after the database to keep this place running smoothly.