2nd attempt - Fri 27 Aug 2010

Let us know about your latest FULL NETWORK CHALLENGE efforts
adc82140
Zone 1

2nd attempt - Fri 27 Aug 2010

Post by adc82140 »

Note to mods- should I have started a new thread for this?? Apologies if so.

Attempt no. 2 tomorrow- New challenge buddy (previous one pulled out due to family commitments), slightly altered route. Car positioning exercise later today- I'm shocked at the cost of parking at Heathrow, but it was either that or a taxi from T5 back to Amersham.

My previous challenge buddy had digs in central London, so it was a bit easier to get home at any point on the route- ths time I'm relying on being able to get to Heathrow, so if necessary I'll have to call an abort decision while there's still hope of the Piccadilly Line running.
hwolge
Zone 6

Re: 1st attempt Wed 18th November

Post by hwolge »

adc82140 wrote:I'm shocked at the cost of parking at Heathrow, but it was either that or a taxi from T5 back to Amersham.
Good choice! We took a cab from T4 to Amersham in 2006 and it was £70...
:) Three times Zone 1 Challenge winner :)
:) Official record holder in the 2008 Guinness Book of Records, pg 199 :)
moley
Site Administrator

Re: 2nd attempt - Fri 27 Aug 2010

Post by moley »

Split for you.

Amersham - interesting choice. I've just read your original topic where you said that Chesham was not the place to start. All that I would say to you is that you should check the options following each time table change as you may find it changes.

A lot of attempts are currently starting at Chesham - it does depend on what time you are starting though.
Tube Forum administrator. I look after the database to keep this place running smoothly.
adc82140
Zone 1

Post by adc82140 »

Plan B for parking- will leave a car at Hatton Cross (£6 for the day), and taxi there from T5- much cheaper.

Starting at the beginning of service tomorrow, though now undecided as to whether to start at Chesham or Amersham. There is now a train first thing that goes direct Amersham to Watford. Interesting.
mullardo
Zone 5

Post by mullardo »

Good Luck
VVaveform VVaveform VVaveform VVaveform VVaveform VVaveform VVaveform VVaveform VVaveform VVaveform VVaveform VVaveform VVaveform VVaveform VVaveform VVaveform VVaveform VVaveform VVaveform VVaveform VVaveform VVaveform VVaveform VVaveform
moley
Site Administrator

Post by moley »

Tip with Amersham / Chesham - get the timetable and calculate ALL the options.
Tube Forum administrator. I look after the database to keep this place running smoothly.
Root
All Zones

Post by Root »

Isn't that exactly the kind of help that we shouldn't be giving new challengers, Moley?
2012 Formula 1 predictions competition
Rules and discussion - Entry form - Results and standings
greatkingrat
All Zones

Post by greatkingrat »

Telling someone to look at a timetable is hardly a massive hint.
Soon to be yet another forum train driver
palkanetoijala31

Post by palkanetoijala31 »

adc82140 wrote:Plan B for parking- will leave a car at Hatton Cross (£6 for the day), and taxi there from T5- much cheaper.

Starting at the beginning of service tomorrow, though now undecided as to whether to start at Chesham or Amersham. There is now a train first thing that goes direct Amersham to Watford. Interesting.
Next time get to know a certain member of the forum £6 less for parking near Hatton Cross hint hint! And where is Amersham to Watford direct not on tfl it isnt.!
Root
All Zones

Post by Root »

greatkingrat wrote:Telling someone to look at a timetable is hardly a massive hint.
Saying it twice in the way moley has done makes it extremely obvious what he is trying to get across. That's just my opinion.
2012 Formula 1 predictions competition
Rules and discussion - Entry form - Results and standings
Steeevooo
All Zones

Post by Steeevooo »

I agree, we do seem to be almost spoon-feeding any new challenger these days - it wasn't by chance that people started commencing their challenges at Chesham, it was obviously through research and planning etc, something which new challengers appear to have to do less and less of!
greatkingrat
All Zones

Post by greatkingrat »

Well at least no one has mentioned the excellent connections you get if you start on the 0621 from Ealing Broadway.

Oops.
Soon to be yet another forum train driver
jbom
Zone 3

Post by jbom »

greatkingrat wrote:Well at least no one has mentioned the excellent connections you get if you start on the 0621 from Ealing Broadway.

Oops.
If I were to start from Ealing Broadway, it would be on a Woodford via Hainault train.
adc82140
Zone 1

Post by adc82140 »

Oh dear. Another aborted attempt.

Abandoned at 190 stations after 14 hours. We were over 3 hours behind schedule, down to pure bad luck. There were no real problems on the network, we were just plagued with arrivals on platforms with 6-8 minute waits. I don't think we had less than a 4 minute wait for a train all day. Early in the morning we were put way behind by a 20 minute wait at Moor Park for a Watford train. Two that were timetabled simply didn't show, and of course that meant that there wasn't one waiting at Watford to take us back.
And where is Amersham to Watford direct not on tfl it isnt.!
Sorry that should have read Chesham to Watford!!

Anyway, for the next challenge a complete route rewrite is in order. There are several fundamental defects in the current one.
moley
Site Administrator

Post by moley »

Root wrote:
greatkingrat wrote:Telling someone to look at a timetable is hardly a massive hint.
Saying it twice in the way moley has done makes it extremely obvious what he is trying to get across. That's just my opinion.
There are many forum posts on here where it says that the best place to start is Chesham. These chaps are saying the exact opposite hence my original post. As for my second post - common sense.

What I object to is where new people get given best part of a route.