TUBE 26 - Another of Andi's which isn't actually Andi's

Let us know about your latest FULL NETWORK CHALLENGE efforts
tubeguru
Site Administrator

TUBE 26 - Another of Andi's which isn't actually Andi's

Post by tubeguru »

Due to my obsession with not unchecking the relevant tickbox when moving topics I have once again managed to delete one.

On the plus side it wasn't very interesting anyway so feel free to start again. It was Andi's Tube 26 thing which I was asked to move into this forum.
One thing only do I know, and that is that I know nothing - Socrates.

Champion of bugger all, 2004 to 2022
Member of sweet FA
mullardo
Zone 5

Re: TUBE 26 - Another of Andi's which isn't actually Andi's

Post by mullardo »

I disagree, I think it was very interesting.

It had useful information like: the date of the challenge, the participants of the challenge, a bit about why they are doing it.

You need to learn to control your urge to delete topics when moving them.
VVaveform VVaveform VVaveform VVaveform VVaveform VVaveform VVaveform VVaveform VVaveform VVaveform VVaveform VVaveform VVaveform VVaveform VVaveform VVaveform VVaveform VVaveform VVaveform VVaveform VVaveform VVaveform VVaveform VVaveform
Sam
The Twilight Zone

Post by Sam »

mullardo wrote:You need to learn to control your urge to delete topics when moving them.
Did he actually do it on purpose though? I thought it was accidental....
:D First and so far only female solo record holder!! :D

Ze forum's female train driver
tubeguru
Site Administrator

Post by tubeguru »

Sam wrote:
mullardo wrote:You need to learn to control your urge to delete topics when moving them.
Did he actually do it on purpose though? I thought it was accidental....
When you move topics you get a tickbox which says "leave shadow topic on this forum". Now I don't want to do that so I should uncheck it, because it is checked by default. Why you'd want two versions of the same thread in two different places I don't know. If you forget to uncheck it then you get a new topic to go with the old one. Deleting the old one will remove BOTH topics. Deleting the posts from the old one, one at a time, will also delete both topics. This is because they have the same ID in the database.

So if I forget to uncheck the box we either have two threads or no threads.

Member of sweet FA
tubeguru
Site Administrator

Post by tubeguru »

mullardo wrote:I disagree, I think it was very interesting.

It had useful information like: the date of the challenge, the participants of the challenge, a bit about why they are doing it.
If that's your idea of "very interesting" ...

Member of sweet FA
RichieG
Zone 6
Location: Still getting lost between Aldgate and Aldgate East

Re: TUBE 26 - PKA Richie G's Tube Challenge for Tearfund

Post by RichieG »

OKAY!!!

So... Andi's TUBE 26's actual name has ended up as 'Richie G's Tube Challenge for Tearfund' (catchy, eh?).

It is on Friday 19 February and is also the Winter Tube Olympics run.

I believe that I will be joined by Andi and Sara (hence Andi claiming it as his TUBE 26!), and Andi has been very helpful when it's come to route planning etc.

I am raising money for Tearfund (hence the name), a Christian charity passionate about the local church bringing justice and transforming lives and overcoming global poverty. They are one of the UK's leading relief and development charities who address a wide range of issues including HIV, water and sanitation, reducing the impact of disasters, and economic injustice and climate change. They work in more than 60 countries and are committed to offering hope, providing a meaningful future and speaking out against injustice. Millions of people all over the world are living in poverty without sufficient food, water or adequate sanitation. They are denied their right to basic healthcare and education, or lack the power to fight injustices that are the root cause of poverty. Tearfund also have visions to stop and reverse the spread of HIV in the poorest places they work in by 2015. A key component of this vision to stop the spread of AIDS is to work through their local church partners to prevent mother-to-child transmission of HIV. There are many other areas in which Tearfund work, information about which can be found on their website at www.tearfund.org. Tearfund are also one of the charities that form part of the DEC (Disasters Emergency Committee) after the earthquake in Haiti, but I'm not going to be raising for the Haiti appeal, and am going to specify that I don't want the money to go to Haiti. (This isn't because I don't support the work being done in Haiti, but because I think that there are enough people raising money for that at the moment and also because I had this day specified for this challenge before the earthquake happened. I have given money to the Haiti appeal and Tearfund's work in Haiti personally before you think I'm being mean!)

When I saw the attempt that was shown on the The Tube programme, I thought 'that sounds like a good idea'. I first came across this very forum when I saw a repeat, which is how I ended up doing this. I've always said that the first Full Network I do is going to be to raise money for Tearfund, and after being invited on a couple of attempts including the Comic Relief and Children in Need ones, I thought that if I didn't set a date at all I'd never get round to doing it! So this is the date, this is the story, and if you want to sponsor me pop along to www.justgiving.com/richietheg.

ALSO... message to anybody who is doing the Full Network for the Tube Winter Olympics on 19 February - I will be grateful/honoured if, while on your way around, you mention it and be willing to accept any donations to Tearfund which I can collect off of you at whatever point. As a famous (yet ethically bad) supermarket says, 'every little helps'!
Attempts: 2 (17h38m, 238 stations) (unknown, 200 stations); Completions: 0; GWR: 0; PBs: 0.
#####################################
The Richie G website: occasionally frequently updated.
Sam
The Twilight Zone

Post by Sam »

Richie,

I think it would be best for you to make leaflets with your justgiving page on to hand out to passengers who are interested because the last thing you want to do is drop yourself in hot water for not being a licensed charity collector on TfL property...
:D First and so far only female solo record holder!! :D

Ze forum's female train driver
RichieG
Zone 6

Post by RichieG »

Sam wrote:Richie,

I think it would be best for you to make leaflets with your justgiving page on to hand out to passengers who are interested because the last thing you want to do is drop yourself in hot water for not being a licensed charity collector on TfL property...
Ta for that - wouldn't have thuoght of that... (I wasn't planning on 'officially' collecting, but if people wanted to give me donations I'd take it...)
Attempts: 2 (17h38m, 238 stations) (unknown, 200 stations); Completions: 0; GWR: 0; PBs: 0.
Going Underground
The Twilight Zone

Post by Going Underground »

RichieG wrote:
Sam wrote:Richie,

Ta for that - wouldn't have thuoght of that... (I wasn't planning on 'officially' collecting, but if people wanted to give me donations I'd take it...)
Exactly, we have handed interested passengers "flyers" on all the CiN attempts with a link to our donation site. If they have offered cash then we have of course accepted it. Even cash whilst researching at Wembley Park last year 8)
Twice former full network GWR holder and former Zone 1 Olympic and World Record holder with The Raven and Soupie
Tube personality of the year 2009
Twice Winter Olympic Biathlon Gold Medalist with The Beer Baron
2008 All Lines Olympic Gold
RichieG
Zone 6

Post by RichieG »

Erm...

I contacted the local papers because of me doing this (after all, while the Tube Challenge isn't particularly unusual, having somebody from Devon doing it is!) and it's kind of escalated...

http://www.thisisnorthdevon.co.uk/news/ ... ticle.html < North Devon Journal (according to the page title (the HTML title tag) it's the whole of my village doing it!)

It was also in Tuesday's Tiverton Gazette but not online.

I've also been approached by Heart North Devon to do an interview tomorrow.

The thing is this...

Somebody phoned up today from some other news organisation, didn't quite catch who, who were rather intreigued with it. I explained that there were a load of people who were going to be doing it on that day under the 'Winter Tube Olympics' header, and there's a small possibility that somebody might be coming along to take photographs. Personally, I've got no qualms with that; for my run, of course I will need the okays from Andi and Sara, but, well, they might want pics of you lot too... I directed the person who rung me up to this forum and my Tube Olympics page (hence the cross-posting; hope you don't mind Neil!). There may be a bit more interest in this than usual... :oops:
palkanetoijala31

Post by palkanetoijala31 »

RichieG wrote:Erm...

I contacted the local papers because of me doing this (after all, while the Tube Challenge isn't particularly unusual, having somebody from Devon doing it is!) and it's kind of escalated...

http://www.thisisnorthdevon.co.uk/news/ ... ticle.html < North Devon Journal (according to the page title (the HTML title tag) it's the whole of my village doing it!)

It was also in Tuesday's Tiverton Gazette but not online.

I've also been approached by Heart North Devon to do an interview tomorrow.

The thing is this...

Somebody phoned up today from some other news organisation, didn't quite catch who, who were rather intreigued with it. I explained that there were a load of people who were going to be doing it on that day under the 'Winter Tube Olympics' header, and there's a small possibility that somebody might be coming along to take photographs. Personally, I've got no qualms with that; for my run, of course I will need the okays from Andi and Sara, but, well, they might want pics of you lot too... I directed the person who rung me up to this forum and my Tube Olympics page (hence the cross-posting; hope you don't mind Neil!). There may be a bit more interest in this than usual... :oops:
I dont mind neither does Sara i have always been a bit of a media whore.
jamesthegill
All Zones

Post by jamesthegill »

RichieG wrote:(after all, while the Tube Challenge isn't particularly unusual, having somebody from Devon doing it is!)
Must be weird for Devonians using a form of transport that isn't made by Massey-Ferguson ;)
Holder of the slowest recorded 274 attempt: 4 months, 1 day, 9 hours, 17 minutes, 32 seconds.
SARAWEARN
Zone 1

Post by SARAWEARN »

i thoroughly enjoyed friday thanku soupdragon 4 organislng it and thanku kevin 4 partnering me and thanku 4 every1 4 taking part so happy 4 beating andi though!