Newbie says hi and attempt on thursday!

Let us know about your latest FULL NETWORK CHALLENGE efforts
bouncingtigger
Zone 1

Re: Newbie says hi and attempt on thursday!

Post by bouncingtigger »

sorry for the late replies my internet decided to die, anyway, i did pay it was a route of outside the box thinking, and you've all missed a technical south east finish if you look at the tube map....

Brixton!

Anyway i've submitted what i have this morning, so it's wait and see now! And i'm more than happy to divulge a few bits of the route if anyone needs further convincing! Just drop me a pm, i've already given some of it out!
palkanetoijala31

Post by palkanetoijala31 »

bouncingtigger wrote:sorry for the late replies my internet decided to die, anyway, i did pay it was a route of outside the box thinking, and you've all missed a technical south east finish if you look at the tube map....

Brixton!

Anyway i've submitted what i have this morning, so it's wait and see now! And i'm more than happy to divulge a few bits of the route if anyone needs further convincing! Just drop me a pm, i've already given some of it out!
if u do have a world record route i would suggest keeping it close to ur chest i have been told off about that in past for that example i know the current world record route but its not mine.

lol at least u dont have to worry about the brixton doubleback
hwolge
Zone 6

Post by hwolge »

Interesting indeed. However, I think the extremeties are only one factor. For instance the Epping extremity really only involves doubling Woodford-Epping (and fairly frequent trains from Epping). Upminster only requires a quick train trip back to West Ham. The Heathrow extremity is probably the worst one and naturally start or finish. The Amersham/Chesham corner is, now so impressively demonstrated, not that bad, during high frequency service. The rest of them are not even worth mentioning.

On the other hand, I'm absolutely convinced that, all other things equal, the eventually fastest routes must be Amersham/Chesham to/from Heathrow. However, other routes can probably be within 10-20 minutes of such routes - a difference easily gained or lost during the day. I'll try to support this figure with facts, perhaps quite soon...
:) Three times Zone 1 Challenge winner :)
:) Official record holder in the 2008 Guinness Book of Records, pg 199 :)
nozzacook
All Zones

Post by nozzacook »

I second Andi Keep your route close to your chest you dont want someone getting out there before you.

Brixton does make an interesting finish.
26 miles 385yards in 4h 14m 40s.
Root
All Zones

Post by Root »

I'd be very interested to hear, HÃ¥kan, what the quickest theoretical time for a Heathrow-Brixton route is, with a moderate running speed. I'm sure your program is capable of working that out, isn't it? :)
2012 Formula 1 predictions competition
Rules and discussion - Entry form - Results and standings
bouncingtigger
Zone 1

Post by bouncingtigger »

scrxisi wrote:
I'd had it down as more a central/south-central kind of place :P

It's a very interesting place to finish, means going out to and back in from all the extemities. Never really considered doing that before!
That's the basics of it, It was three years in the planning, and using the theory, the less changes and doubling back the better!

As i've said before, I may be new to the forum, but i'm not new to the challenge!
Starkey7
All Zones

Post by Starkey7 »

I see that you're from Catford. I reckon that the only reason that you finished at Brixton was so that you could get an early night with a mug of cocoa.
palkanetoijala31

Post by palkanetoijala31 »

i still think u should put the provisional time on wikipedia that way anybody whom isnt on the forum can know what time to beat should they wish to attempt.

by the way i didnt notice any mention of a logbook was that just missed in the comment
snd getting pictures of roundels is sufficient enough as u were on own.

only about half the train numbers, about 20 witness statements, and only a handful of pictures of any decent note because trying to get me in them was a nightmare!
hwolge
Zone 6

Post by hwolge »

Root wrote:I'd be very interested to hear, HÃ¥kan, what the quickest theoretical time for a Heathrow-Brixton route is, with a moderate running speed. I'm sure your program is capable of working that out, isn't it? :)
So am I (interested that is). Had I had a program that could generate the quickest route with guarantee - well... However, as I write, I am trying to revive my original search program. I hope to see a statistically believable result that will show roughly the difference between different sets of end stations. As I indicated, I predict a 10-20 minute "penalty" for using Brixton as an end point. Who knows, I might be totally wrong. I will keep you posted on any progress in this area.

It's interesting to note that bouncingtigger has tried to minimize the number of changes. There was a debate on this forum quite a while ago concerning the optimum number of "legs" in a route. I think we agreed that each LU train trip would count as a leg. I.e. a returning train in Chesham would count as two (despite being the same train). Also a reasonable amount of "good luck" would be assumed, i.e. if there are direct trains, around the time of the trip you can assume one. E.g. "extra" changes at Camden Town or Hainault would not count. Off the top of my head, I think most "good routes" at the time contained some 60 legs. Without ELL, it would be less. Maybe people are willing to share this type of information on this forum...
:) Three times Zone 1 Challenge winner :)
:) Official record holder in the 2008 Guinness Book of Records, pg 199 :)
Wanstead
Zone 4

Post by Wanstead »

hwolge wrote:It's interesting to note that bouncingtigger has tried to minimize the number of changes. There was a debate on this forum quite a while ago concerning the optimum number of "legs" in a route. I think we agreed that each LU train trip would count as a leg. I.e. a returning train in Chesham would count as two (despite being the same train). Also a reasonable amount of "good luck" would be assumed, i.e. if there are direct trains, around the time of the trip you can assume one. E.g. "extra" changes at Camden Town or Hainault would not count. Off the top of my head, I think most "good routes" at the time contained some 60 legs. Without ELL, it would be less. Maybe people are willing to share this type of information on this forum...
(I think this thread needs splitting off into a new topic.)

It stands to reason that the fewer changes you have to make, the more efficient the route. In other words, the longer you can stay on a given train the better. Having said that there are many times when you have to change in order to cover stations in a given area. Also there are few lines/services where you can stay on for the whole journey anyway. Probably Bakerloo, Victoria and Jubilee have it. I would say anything else takes you too far from one corner to another.
Full Network - Attempts: 1 | Completions: 1 (17h28m57s on 14/09/09)
Starkey7
All Zones

Post by Starkey7 »

Optimum sixty? I think that a fairly long ago route that I had only had about forty-five changes in it and seemed to work quite nicely. I think that the changes above fifty really hamper the route - every extra change adds a lot more potential for time wasting.
jbom1

Post by jbom1 »

Wanstead wrote:Also there are few lines/services where you can stay on for the whole journey anyway. Probably Bakerloo, Victoria and Jubilee have it. I would say anything else takes you too far from one corner to another.
Interesting. Purely as a personal opinion, I'd consider any of these to be reasonable as well ...

Upminster - Richmond
Wimbledon - Edgware Rd
Epping - West Ruislip or Woodford - Ealing Broadway
Edgware or MHE - Morden
Starkey7
All Zones

Post by Starkey7 »

By the same token, Cockfosters to Heathrow would be a lovely way to finish!
Sam
The Twilight Zone

Post by Sam »

Or Walthamstow to Brixton.... ;)
:D First and so far only female solo record holder!! :D

Ze forum's female train driver
Root
All Zones

Post by Root »

Starkey7 wrote:By the same token, Cockfosters to Heathrow would be a lovely way to finish!
I tried that in the Tube Olympics. The Heathrow train ended up terminating at Acton Town, which kind of ruined it.
2012 Formula 1 predictions competition
Rules and discussion - Entry form - Results and standings