RobbieM #1 - The Novice Attempt

Let us know about your latest FULL NETWORK CHALLENGE efforts
RobbieM
All Zones

RobbieM #1 - The Novice Attempt

Post by RobbieM »

HOW IT BEGAN

So yes, I did know former record-holder Geoff Marshall at University of Surrey. But that was years ago; I haven't seen him since 1994. That was until he suddenly appeared on my TV doing his famous Tube Challenge. So I suppose that sparked some interest in me, but nothing more became of it then.

However, being an explorer and sightseer by nature, I had over the course of the previous years (or decades) travelled all over Greater London at different times, and decided that I had to visit every Tube station. I finally visited Zones 7,8 & 9 in November 2008, and ticked off the final station (Watford) on my map. I thought that was it; I may never visit these stations again... uh-oh...

Yes, I'm afraid I AM one of those people who do a Christmas newsletter! (But I'm assured mine's an interesting read! I don't need to report on how little Millie is doing with her Rugby practice...) I disclosed the above achievement to all, using the words "I'm told it's possible to do in about 18 hours, but it's taken me about 18 years...".

Cue my mate Nick. Over a coffee just before Christmas - he said to me "18 hours? Well, why not?". I tried to put him off; getting from Guildford to Amersham for a 05:28 start is not my idea of a good time (I'm NOT a 'mornings' person). Then he reminded me that his parents-in-law live just two miles away, and they WOULD accommodate us the nights before and after...

...and then I warmed to the idea. Gradually I got a little hotter, and eventually almost spontaneously combusted...
Last edited by RobbieM on 28 Feb 2009, 17:59, edited 3 times in total.
RobbieM
All Zones

Planning a Route

Post by RobbieM »

PLANNING A ROUTE

So the brain got a little active over Christmas in Scotland, then returning to Guildford in January, the activity went up, and the sleep went down. I found the TFL website very useful for train frequencies and timetables, and incorporated that into my route planning.

I would say that the route was at least 95% my own work – I was very pleased after I’d sorted a route out that further web research that most of my ideas matched what the experts had been doing for years (e.g. running North Ealing to West Acton). But one or two extra tips I picked up later. The most significant change I made early on was based on information from the Wikipedia page. That was to go for a Heathrow finish rather than Upminster. (And that was far more convenient for us – a bonus!)

So eventually, ‘Route 5C’ it was – and some folks decided we should be sponsored – so we spontaneously printed sponsor forms for a local charity, Guildford Action. It was also around this time I discovered the Tube Forum website, and discovered that "Flying Finn" (whoever he was...) was attempting to break his own record on the same day. Wondered if we might meet at Amersham.

To prepare for the big day, I did a reasonably extensive recee the Thursday beforehand. And I’m so glad I did (though I should’ve learnt from that day not to rely on a Circle Line train being available when you want one…)

So that was it. All we could do now was wait …
Last edited by RobbieM on 23 Mar 2009, 15:30, edited 5 times in total.
RobbieM
All Zones

THE BIG DAY - Friday 13th February

Post by RobbieM »

THE BIG DAY

'Get plenty of sleep the night before' they say. I tried, oh boy did I try. The 15 minutes I managed before 4am made all the difference, I'm sure...

Well, I think we left Amersham at 05:29 in the end (great - that's a minute off the final time!) No sign of anyone attempting a GWR - Flying Finn must have started elsewhere. A delayed train to Moor Park resulted in us running straight across to the platform to the Watford train 5s before the doors closed - excellent! Decided to avoid the Harrowing run - a walk was all we needed to secure the planned 7:32 from Harrow & Wealdstone. However, a delay between Preston Road and Northwick Park gave us 2m for the Kenton run - that's when I discovered I'd not had enough breakfast. Missed that connection, but still made the 7:32 (by the skin of our teeth), and many fairtrade bananas were consumed on our way into the city, and consciousness levels increased. So glad we didn't need to think about logging and getting witness statements - all we wanted today was to complete!

Somehow got on the Mill Hill East direct train at Oval, despite overcrowding (Hmm, hope we got the balance right between being assertive and aggressive...). After returning to Finchley Central, our behaviour was being scrutinised by a trio on the opposite platform (very impressed; they didn't know there were loos there!) We rushed across the bridge, and the trio enquired whether we were Tube Challengers. Er yes, though not for a Guinness World Record! They introduced themselves - that Flying Finn attempt. "I was expecting to see you at Amersham this morning!" So good conversation was had for the next 10 minutes up to High Barnet.

A couple of buses later (where the FF team left us to carry on their plans), we got to Cockfosters. Slight delay at Arnos Grove, but not as bad as waiting for that elusive Circle Line train at South Kensington. (Note to self: Try Aldgate from the other direction next time!). 15 minutes later, it came. Ran to Aldgate East, and to Upminster. A lovely pasta salad was consumed during that journey.

I'm not giving away too much am I? OK, I'll be slightly more vague from now on.

I decided to hop to Edgware from Stanmore rather than Canons Park (due to reports of roadworks), but had to wait some time for the 142. But it got there quickly. Then reaching TCR and running, there it was on the board "Woodford via Hainault - Train approaching"! Oh, how our hearts rejoiced within us! A very easy Hainult loop/Epping for us, but that did put us to Leyton on the Friday rush hour. Decided that a 69/97 was not coming soon, and if it did, it would not get to Walthamstow that quickly. So returned to my original plan (recee'd the week before) - back to Leytonstone, and use the Overground. Worked a treat! (Note to self: Avoid this connection in the rush hour).

Two minutes loo stop at West Ruislip, then ran/walked to Ickenham. A dodgy train at Rayner's Lane slowed down that corner of the network, but soon picked up. Down to Ealing/Acton etc, then Chiswick Park and the Gun Run. Longer wait at Richmond than we'd planned.

Kensington Olympia really slowed us down. Knew from the timetable we had time to walk from West Kensington rather than run. But the Ken-O train also arrived (and departed) late. Hmm - I'll get more options available for this one next time.

In and out of Brixton within 30 seconds, I think. Bus 93 from Wimbledon linked in with a tram very well, but still left us with a 10m wait at Wimbledon. Not impressed with communication at Edgware Rd - er, exactly which train was the next to Hammersmith? Fortunately, the one we were sitting on, but it was really anybody's guess!

Finally got to Hammersmith Piccadilly line platform at 23:12 - 14 minutes to spare before the final Heathrow T4 train was due to leave. So the rest you can work out - we got into T5 at 00:11 - stopping the clock at 18h 41m 48.75s! And very happy to complete all 270 on our first attempt.
Last edited by RobbieM on 16 Nov 2009, 23:00, edited 4 times in total.
RobbieM
All Zones

TO BE CONTINUED...?

Post by RobbieM »

Okay - we thought it might be a one-off at first. We've raised a few hundred pounds for a local charity, and our very pleased with our efforts on the day. But is it possible to do the challenge just once and then forget about it?

Er, I think you know the answer to that question! We may be back to try out some new ideas - especially better ways of dealing with Ken-O, getting to Walthamstow, avoiding reliance on Circle Line trains!

So here's to the next time! :D

Rob & Nick
palkanetoijala31

Re: RobbieM #1 - The Novice Attempt

Post by palkanetoijala31 »

A very detailed first report well done :D u should have said u were doing it for charity though we have sponsored u in those 10 mins up to High barnet.At least now u have done it once its easy to give it another go and at least u have some ideas of what works and what doesnt.
al
Zone 6

Post by al »

Congratulations

I know what you mean about being pleased to complete on your first attempt - I felt the same. Funnily enough, I also came to the same conclusion about Walthamstow in the rush hour...

Good luck with your next attempt, whenever it may be. I personally haven't scheduled my own yet, but it could be soon :D
Held some Alternative Challenge records for a long time.
Doesn't any more.
RobbieM
All Zones

Post by RobbieM »

Just a curious addition - this particular Tube Challenge attempt of old got a mention on the BBC Radio Five Live breakfast show on Wed 4th August 2010 (about 7:32am), and seemed to arouse a bit of interest. The context was a studio discussion on how friendly and chatty members of the public are on public transport. So when Nick heard this, he decided to send a text in along the lines of the following:

"Last year my friend and I undertook the Tube Challenge - visiting all 270 Underground stations in one operating day. It took us over 18 hours, and I can't recall us chatting to anyone else during that time. What a friendly place!!!"

Ok, Nick's comments are not strictly true; we did chat to Andi and team when we unwittingly bumped into them at Finchley Central, but I can't remember any other conversations!

Anyway, it's a little more media exposure for the 'sport'...!

RobbieM
Last edited by RobbieM on 11 Aug 2010, 17:27, edited 1 time in total.
jbom
Zone 3

Post by jbom »

I heard it too. So that's who Nick was.
RobbieM
All Zones

Re: TO BE CONTINUED...?

Post by RobbieM »

RobbieM wrote:Okay - we thought it might be a one-off at first. We've raised a few hundred pounds for a local charity, and our very pleased with our efforts on the day. But is it possible to do the challenge just once and then forget about it?

Er, I think you know the answer to that question! We may be back to try out some new ideas - especially better ways of dealing with Ken-O, getting to Walthamstow, avoiding reliance on Circle Line trains!

So here's to the next time! :D

Rob & Nick
Well, it's the fourth anniversary today, and all I've managed since then is a personal Zone 1... :(
Going Underground
The Twilight Zone

Post by Going Underground »

RobbieM wrote: Well, it's the fourth anniversary today, and all I've managed since then is a personal Zone 1... :(
You need to get out more Robbie :!: :wink: Don't forget you did come out and support us on a full network as well
Twice former full network GWR holder and former Zone 1 Olympic and World Record holder with The Raven and Soupie
Tube personality of the year 2009
Twice Winter Olympic Biathlon Gold Medalist with The Beer Baron
2008 All Lines Olympic Gold
RobbieM
All Zones

Post by RobbieM »

Going Underground wrote:You need to get out more Robbie :!: :wink: Don't forget you did come out and support us on a full network as well
Oh yes, sorry, I should've mentioned that. And I hope I can do more of that - though running isn't an easy option for me at the moment - I have a dodgy ankle... :(