GWR attempt 2nd Jan 2009

Let us know about your latest FULL NETWORK CHALLENGE efforts
Perry Vale
Zone 1

GWR attempt 2nd Jan 2009

Post by Perry Vale »

So, Ric Mansworth and I undertook a sneaky GWR attempt on Friday, and completed the full 270 in 18 hours, 8 minutes and 50 seconds.

We were very pleased to finish on this occasion, and reasonably happy with the time - particularly bearing in mind that we were at Stanmore when the Jub was suspended, and just about to head to Ealing Broadway from Oxford Circus when the Central Line went down. The route change cost us 20/30 mins, and we had seen four trains pull out in the first three hours, each leading to waits of approximately ten minutes. Which means our route must be ok, and with a suspension-free day and some luck we should be able to get under 17hrs 30. We'll be back!!

Happy new year to one and all, and hope to see people at the Z1 or a R15.
Going Underground
The Twilight Zone

Re: GWR attempt 2nd Jan 2009

Post by Going Underground »

You very nearly had full network company on the 2nd Jan as indeed we had planned a "sneaky" on this day some weeks ago :shock:
However circumstances dictated that we had to abort our plans hence the last minute Alternative challenge...
Bad luck with the suspensions on the day when I saw the central line problems in the morning I was pleased we had scrapped our own to go out as I am sure that would have scuppered us.....

Congrats on getting round in a decent time, at least a few mince pies would have been burnt off and better luck next time :P
Twice former full network GWR holder and former Zone 1 Olympic and World Record holder with The Raven and Soupie
Tube personality of the year 2009
Twice Winter Olympic Biathlon Gold Medalist with The Beer Baron
2008 All Lines Olympic Gold
Soup Dragon
The Twilight Zone

Re: GWR attempt 2nd Jan 2009

Post by Soup Dragon »

Yes it was a shame that we had to abort our sneaky attempt for 2nd January, but general fitness and couple of other factors ruled it out. It would have been funny running into you chaps in the morning, assuming you did the normal Amersham start.
It will be interesting to see what happens if anyone does set a record on one of these not so busy weekdays when a Saturday service operates, would Guinness make the same ruling as they did for our genuine Saturday attempt. With this in mind I still wouldn't be put-off from attempting again.
One day I shall return!