GWR Attempt- May 28th (Wednesday before Z1)

Let us know about your latest FULL NETWORK CHALLENGE efforts
dudey
Zone 5

Re: GWR Attempt- May 28th (Wednesday before Z1)

Post by dudey »

I would think they're on your train you got at Hatton Cross, arn't they? It's gonna come down to what happens at T4 and then if they have a pair of Matt's asking a train politely to wait at T123 :P
hwolge
Zone 6

Post by hwolge »

Right, I forgot Soupy and the others had to change at HC...
:) Three times Zone 1 Challenge winner :)
:) Official record holder in the 2008 Guinness Book of Records, pg 199 :)
hwolge
Zone 6

Post by hwolge »

Time has run out - hasn't it? But then again, it might take a few minutes to get in touch...
Soup Dragon
The Twilight Zone

Post by Soup Dragon »

UPDATE 23:20
The last text I recevied from Andi was "Not a hope, you still have the record, bloody Chiswick Park". So unless Andi is pulling my leg it appears that the District line suspension late this evening cost them the record.

FINAL UPDATE 23:45
Just spoke to Steven and he sounded totally gutted, they aborted at Heathrow T123 as the record was already gone by then. Steven said they had a 9 minute wait at T4, I guess thats where we had some luck as our wait was only 2 minutes.
One day I shall return!
palkanetoijala31

Post by palkanetoijala31 »

Just to add me and matt actually completed 269 in a time of 18h 13 mins steven obviously would have continued to t5 if the record was on.

To Report and no i wont give details of route away its stevens route.

Amersham started off at about 05.28.13 secs made the Moor Park connection very easily and went up to Watford on time further highlights of day as follows

2 sexy changes in the South London area
3 min wait at Stanmore
7 min wait at Finchley central for Mill Hill East but on way back cross platform change
reasonable bus at High Barnet
Incredible Wimbledon arr to Morden Dep 10 mins
could have had best connection at Upminster a slight slip up there.

All in all we were quite dejected that 1 station really cost us and so late in day.
hwolge
Zone 6

Post by hwolge »

Yes, I really felt for you guys. Things going bad that late in the game. :cry: We had a very similar experience on our very first attempt, when Earl's Court closed, making Kensington (Olympia) undoable...

Anyway, what was your projected finish time before the Turnham/Chiswick incident?

See you all tomorrow - or maybe even after the R15 tonight!
palkanetoijala31

i think if we have had a connection at turnham green we were either going to be on 23.04 or 23.14 finish at t5
joy54
Zone 5

Post by joy54 »

It really was terrible last night as we had avoided nearly all the other delays on the network and just got caught out by this one.

The route I reckon on a day with some good luck could easily produce a 2254 or a 2244 finish, on a perfect day I suppose a 2234 but I don't really work my route's out like that, we were on for a 2304 finish, so we had 3 HT5 trains we could catch when we got to Turnham Green for us still to be inside the Brown's time (the 2304, 2314 and 2324) and we waited about 30 minutes at Turnham Green after just missing the last Chiswick Park connection by 3 minutes. In the end if our HT4 train had of gone straight through we possibly might of made it but it was unlikely.

But we certainly had our good luck with the fastest ever Wimbledon to Morden time of 10 minutes 10 seconds train to train and some very sexy changes in Central London but other than that we had average luck I'd say with a few delays as well.

Will be back out again soon....
Going Underground
The Twilight Zone

Post by Going Underground »

One lousy little station....... No way of visiting Chiswick Park...... The guys had gone down to Richmond and I was supporting at Turnham Green..... Regular trains had gone through alternating Richmond & Ealing Broadway.....
Steven phoned me to say they were leaving Richmond and a train heading that way had just left me.....
Shortly afterwards an Ealing Broadway train appeared on the indicator...
I kept on the line to Steven but they had only just arrived at Gunnersbury when the Ealing train was with me so there was no way I could have held this for over 3 minutes......
That was the last district line train we saw for around 35-40 mins due to Soup Dragon, oops sorry meant the tresspasser on the track at Embankment........

The rest of the day had gone fairly well, although there were a lot of problems on the network the guys were in the right place at the right time.....

And yes Ollie supporting is bloody knackering I was carrying the guys rucksacks around most of the day so that was 4 altogether with mine..... I was struggling to get ahead of them most of the time with either bad bus connections or long waits (9 minutes at Hangar Lane)......

This was looking nailed on from late afternoon and I have to feel for guys to get stuffed that late in the day..... :(
Twice former full network GWR holder and former Zone 1 Olympic and World Record holder with The Raven and Soupie
Tube personality of the year 2009
Twice Winter Olympic Biathlon Gold Medalist with The Beer Baron
2008 All Lines Olympic Gold
palkanetoijala31

Well the 3 man team certainly works we all had our skills and helpfulness to the team.Steven obviously with the route and his quick platform changing.Matt brilliant at taking pictures and me being the hare of the group especially helpful at a few stations where i had to hold the doors open.I still think i have got to Edgware from Canons Park running it before they got there on the bus though.

The best part was a 10 min Wimbledon-Morden connection note to Steven here i beat the bus by running it and not looking back and at Cockfosters i still think i have run it better from New Barnet i was up for any runs at that point maybe i should have done Gunnersbury to Chiswick Park.