Anyone up for "Tube Relief 2006"?

For discussion of Tube Relief 2005 (NOW CLOSED)

If there were to be a "Tube Relief 2006" would you take part?

Definitely
47%
Probably
31%
Not Sure
11%
Probably Not
8%
No Way
3%

Total votes: 36

tubeguru
Site Administrator

Post by tubeguru »

Trust YOU to be the practical one :-)
One thing only do I know, and that is that I know nothing - Socrates.

Champion of bugger all, 2004 to 2022
Member of sweet FA
moley
Site Administrator

Post by moley »

I do agree that 'Tube Relief' is not such a great idea next year.

Bear in mind also, the chaps from mainland europe that are coming over in October to have a go at the challenges - if you really want to attempt something then why not co-ordinate it at the same time.

'Tube Relief' was great because it was a one-off event - if it must be done again then wait til 2007 and choose another appropiate charity.
Tube Forum administrator. I look after the database to keep this place running smoothly.
zeibura
Zone 5

Post by zeibura »

having got wind of the shoreditch situation, i still think a mass 275 (or as it will be then, 274) attempt would be a cool thing to hold next july-september. that record is going to be up for grabs for a very short time, and it could be decided (at least at first) on a proper tube race, what do people think?
Ukončete, prosíme, vystup a nastup, dveře se zavirají
juice-rail
Zone 1

Post by juice-rail »

As much as I enjoyed Tube Relief, and other challenges like Zone 1, I also agreee that any tube relief for next year is not a good idea. (Tho if it were organised anyway, Id probably still do it.)

Firstly, if we do this too frequently, people such as TFL and the media will get sick of it. We cant keep drumming up media attention all the time, it will eventualy kill itself off. Plus we must remember Londoners and commuters want to move on from 7/7 and anything related to it.

Doing any form of tube challenge on or anywhere near 7th July (any year) is just plain daft. It'll scare passengers and cause trouble for us in the future.

Zone 1 was quick, simple, and good fun for all. Lets just stick to that as the classic cheerful yearly thing with teams etc. Im well up for the annual Z1 as the team event for 06! But not near July obviously, and lets keep it low-key to be safe.

Tube Relief was the big one, the legend, the one that mattered. Lets not spoil that folks. Lets leave it be for a while, please.
guess who has driven a piccadilly;-)
moley
Site Administrator

Post by moley »

juice-rail wrote:Zone 1 was quick, simple, and good fun for all. Lets just stick to that as the classic cheerful yearly thing with teams etc. Im well up for the annual Z1 as the team event for 06! But not near July obviously, and lets keep it low-key to be safe.

Tube Relief was the big one, the legend, the one that mattered. Lets not spoil that folks. Lets leave it be for a while, please.
Here here, well said.
standclearofthedoors
Zone 4

Post by standclearofthedoors »

There Doesn't Need To Be Media Coverage Surely?
I agree with an en masse challenge day, but i think it'd dishonour those lost if we raced it or linked it in any way with tube relief
jonny
Zone 6

Post by jonny »

I don't have any particular view either way -- except that everyone sponsored us in August, it's going to be difficult to raise anywhere near as much money if we try and do it for charity within the next 2 or 3 years.
Of course i think a mass tube challenge is fun anyway, but it probably wouldn't be in the school holidays so it makes no difference to me :D
garda
Zone 2

Anyone up for a pub challenge in March because

Post by garda »

My hubby, neice, her husband and I are trying to plan a holiday to London in March after the 8th or so... Would love to see you guys!
CrunchySaviour
All Zones

Post by CrunchySaviour »

Hurrah!

Marvellous plan. We have yet to meet!
~ Let loose the bands of war! DISINTEGRATOR.co.uk
TheFatBuoy
Zone 5

Post by TheFatBuoy »

That'd be good - a TubeReliefers' reunion - how are things anyway, Tami? Good to hear some progress is being made, even though it is extremely slow.

So, who's up for a meet-up/drink when Tami comes over? I can't imagine everyone who came along will come, but it'd be good to see a few tubereliefers there.

Anyway, the whole tube relief thing - yes, I agree that another tube relief wouldn't really be appropriate, but carrying on the Zone 1 Challenge would be good, as would the odd day where a few teams decided to do a full "all stations" attempt on the same day. Nothing official, and we'd aim for as little publicity as possible (unless, of course, a record was broken), just a bit of fun - though it'd be good to have a few teams "competing" on the day.

In fact, talking of records, I think that a good time to do something like this would be after some of the upcoming changes have taken place - such as the East London Line no longer being part of the London Underground, and Queensway reopening. The existing record holders would be encouraged to take part to give them a chance at grabbing the "new record", or even if it's not recognised as a different record, at least it'll give people a realistic target to beat.

Anyone up for it?
Paul Hunter (1978-2006) RIP
jonny
Zone 6

Post by jonny »

I'd like to come to a TubeReliefers' reunion -- if it's that kind of family thing...
tubeguru
Site Administrator

Post by tubeguru »

Well, one of the current record holders is up for going for a new record when the changes come and Guinness finally recognise a new system.

Dunno about the other one. I hope he will be.
One thing only do I know, and that is that I know nothing - Socrates.

Champion of bugger all, 2004 to 2022
Member of sweet FA
TheFatBuoy
Zone 5

Post by TheFatBuoy »

I'm just about to start a new thread about this. Not quite sure where, but it shouldn't be too hard to find - look out for the fat bastard.
Paul Hunter (1978-2006) RIP
Root
All Zones

Post by Root »

Haha, I always do things in the wrong order.

I just sent an email to Geoff, and only then realised that these forums existed.

Well, to save me restating everything I wrote in the email, I'll just paste it here.

Code: Select all

Dear Geoff, or whomever else it may concern:

I suppose the title of this email [Tube Relief... 06?] essentially sums up what I'm writing to you about.

Yes, it may have been a year since the events, and it may not be at the front of the average Tube traveller's mind, but there is so much more to it than that.

As the website URL suggests, the primary reason for last year's Tube Relief was to prove that people were not afraid to use the Tube. But from what I can gather, it seems like it was also to show the people affected - friends, families, commuters - that we care.

Whilst I may not have taken part last year (for reasons I won't go into), I did very much care about the people affected. I know that everyone who took part did. If we still care, why not do the whole event all over again, one year on?

The people who died on that day are no less dead, and their families and friends still have a person missing from their lives. I think it would be fantastic to show them that we haven't forgotten about them.

Yes, I'm sure that the media will start to take an interest again come July, but right now the events of "7/7" seem all but forgotten. But not me, and that's why I want Tube Relief 2006 to take place.

We could do it on the 7th of July, four months from today, or we could do it any other day. I think the important thing is to show that we still care. There's plenty of time to organise it.

So, are there any plans to do it in 2006? In all honesty, I will do it even if I do so alone, but I was very impressed by your efforts last year and would love to join you this time around. If you just want to take part but not bother with all the organisational side, I would be willing and eager to help out in any way I can.

Please let me know.

Yours faithfully,

Oliver Lewisohn
Is the discussion on this still active? You're probably already talking about this somewhere else, and I'm way off. Would be typical of me...
geofftech
All Zones

Post by geofftech »

I've got no inclination to do 275 at the moment, least of all in the name of 'TubeRelief' as that for me was a one-off special, and it wouldn't be as "special" to do it all over again using that same name.

Wait for T5, wait for Shoreditch, wait for the Germans to come over - and in the meantime, if you need a tube challenge fix / contest / whatever, then take part in Zone1 '06 instead.