Hurricane

For discussion of Tube Relief 2005 (NOW CLOSED)
garda
Zone 2

Hurricane

Post by garda »

Hi guys,
I am still here unable to leave and just learned that my city has a mandatory evacuation with 175MPH+ winds. They said

URGENT - WEATHER MESSAGE
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE NEW ORLEANS LA
1011 AM CDT SUN AUG 28 2005

...DEVASTATING DAMAGE EXPECTED...

.HURRICANE KATRINA...A MOST POWERFUL HURRICANE WITH UNPRECEDENTED STRENGTH...RIVALING THE INTENSITY OF HURRICANE CAMILLE OF 1969.

MOST OF THE AREA WILL BE UNINHABITABLE FOR WEEKS...PERHAPS LONGER. AT LEAST ONE HALF OF WELL CONSTRUCTED HOMES WILL HAVE ROOF AND WALL FAILURE. ALL GABLED ROOFS WILL FAIL...LEAVING THOSE HOMES SEVERELY DAMAGED OR DESTROYED.

THE MAJORITY OF INDUSTRIAL BUILDINGS WILL BECOME NON FUNCTIONAL. PARTIAL TO COMPLETE WALL AND ROOF FAILURE IS EXPECTED. ALL WOOD FRAMED LOW RISING APARTMENT BUILDINGS WILL BE DESTROYED. CONCRETE BLOCK LOW RISE APARTMENTS WILL SUSTAIN MAJOR DAMAGE...INCLUDING SOME WALL AND ROOF FAILURE.

HIGH RISE OFFICE AND APARTMENT BUILDINGS WILL SWAY DANGEROUSLY...A FEW TO THE POINT OF TOTAL COLLAPSE. ALL WINDOWS WILL BLOW OUT.

AIRBORNE DEBRIS WILL BE WIDESPREAD...AND MAY INCLUDE HEAVY ITEMS SUCH AS HOUSEHOLD APPLIANCES AND EVEN LIGHT VEHICLES. SPORT UTILITY VEHICLES AND LIGHT TRUCKS WILL BE MOVED. THE BLOWN DEBRIS WILL CREATE ADDITIONAL DESTRUCTION. PERSONS...PETS...AND LIVESTOCK EXPOSED TO THE WINDS WILL FACE CERTAIN DEATH IF STRUCK.

POWER OUTAGES WILL LAST FOR WEEKS...AS MOST POWER POLES WILL BE DOWN AND TRANSFORMERS DESTROYED. WATER SHORTAGES WILL MAKE HUMAN SUFFERING INCREDIBLE BY MODERN STANDARDS.

THE VAST MAJORITY OF NATIVE TREES WILL BE SNAPPED OR UPROOTED. ONLY THE HEARTIEST WILL REMAIN STANDING...BUT BE TOTALLY DEFOLIATED. FEW CROPS WILL REMAIN. LIVESTOCK LEFT EXPOSED TO THE WINDS WILL BE KILLED.

AN INLAND HURRICANE WIND WARNING IS ISSUED WHEN SUSTAINED WINDS NEAR HURRICANE FORCE...OR FREQUENT GUSTS AT OR ABOVE HURRICANE FORCE...ARE CERTAIN WITHIN THE NEXT 12 TO 24 HOURS.

ONCE TROPICAL STORM AND HURRICANE FORCE WINDS ONSET...DO NOT VENTURE OUTSIDE!

I am now worried about my family who I cant get on the phone. I am worried about my house which is only 3 months old, and worried about being left behind. I wanted to write ya'll since ya'll are the closest to being family. I may be here a week. Please pray for us. Thanks.
Fimb
Zone 2

Post by Fimb »

Sending all my thoughts to those out there.. especially all your loved ones..

It must be terrible for you being so far away from them and feeling so helpless. Remember the phones lines are probably pretty overloaded there at the moment.. Hope you get to speak to them soon.

And if you do end up stuck here longer, let me know and we'll get together to do something..

Nikki xx
Steeevooo
All Zones

Post by Steeevooo »

We are very sorry to hear of this Tami, we are sure that we speak for all of us when we wish you all the best and hope that your family, friends and all of the things that are close to you will get through this potentially terrible time. It must be terrible for you not being able to contact them, but we are sure that all your friends on here will do our best to support you.
Steve, Sam and Chris
xxx
Nutteronabus
Zone 5

Post by Nutteronabus »

Not really sure what I can say to that, buy my thoughts are with you and everyone else who'll be affected.
Annie Mole
Zone 2

Post by Annie Mole »

Can I just echo what everyone else has said and like Nikki, if you are stuck for something to do in London, let us know I'm sure we can arrange something to try to cheer you up.

Me and Helene don't live too far from your hotel.

Take care

Annie
CrunchySaviour
All Zones

Post by CrunchySaviour »

Good luck to you and your friends and family. My advice is: Go as far away as you possibly can!

You'll be much safer in London though...

...then again, my Dad saw a tornado in a field a few miles away from here a couple of months ago...
~ Let loose the bands of war! DISINTEGRATOR.co.uk
garda
Zone 2

Post by garda »

thanks for the support. If anyone is interested in seeing how the city operates under a hurricane go to http://www.wwltv.com and hit the live version. IT will show you what is going on for those who have not been around hurricanes.
Fimb
Zone 2

Post by Fimb »

I'm watching a webcam at the moment in New Orleans (from http://www.nola.com) that I had booked marked from when the husband went there 18 months ago on business (spent most fo his time in Hurrahs in reality it seems!!)

And if we do get together, remind me to tell you the story of a friend who spent 3 weeks in jail there (no money to get himself out) after being picked up drunk and dancing naked in a fountain!!!
Stroppycow
Zone 1

Post by Stroppycow »

Tami,

you are welcome to stay at my place rather than the Hotel as long as you want (less lonely I expect and a lot cheaper :) ). I would be absolutely no bother at all - there is a spare room and cooking for 4 is not much different to cooking for one. The chaps would love to have you around.
Why live life when you can document it?
Stroppycow
Zone 1

Post by Stroppycow »

I meant cooking for 4 is no different to cooking for 3...
moley
Site Administrator

Post by moley »

Like everyone above, my thoughts are with everyone at the moment. Let me know if you need anything while you are here.
Tube Forum administrator. I look after the database to keep this place running smoothly.
garda
Zone 2

Post by garda »

Thank you. I may need accomodations that are easy to get to Gatwick when I can. My sister emailed me and tells me that she is staying with her family and my other sister (the one that lives next door to me) left. My husband, son, and chihuahuas left. I was told that I may not be able to get back for days or weeks if it is bad. The national guard has been called in and we have got 10,000 body bags. This is so bad since we are the saucer of the city(below sea level) All my police officers assigned to me are placed all over and at the superdome. I will keep yall posted/ 20 inches rain, storm surge 20 feet, 175 MPH winds with gusts higher. ~It will be hitting land in the morning.
geofftech
All Zones

Post by geofftech »

Tami...

CALL ME!

07910 009881

We can get you somewhere to stay down here.

G.
Annie Mole
Zone 2

Post by Annie Mole »

One of life's horrible ironies

http://london-underground.blogspot.com/ ... 1732371037

Take care Tami and it looks like we may see you much sooner than we had imagined, sorry it's in such awful circumstances.
Stroppycow
Zone 1

Post by Stroppycow »

Tami,

No problem you can stay at mine. Gatwick not that far (well closer than Upminster was anyway) so I can always give you a lift at short notice. I am back at work on Tuesday but if I explain the situation to them they won't mind if I shoot off for a few hours to drive you back.

We will be glad to have you around.