Post Challenge Analysis

For discussion of Tube Relief 2005 (NOW CLOSED)
Nutteronabus
Zone 5

Post Challenge Analysis

Post by Nutteronabus »

Well...

that was alright!
Fimb
Zone 2

Post by Fimb »

04:22

I am exausted!! I ache everywhere..

But adrenalin just won't calm down and let me sleep *laughing*

What a day.. what a roller coaster of emotions that challenge puts you through!!

Analysis? I can barely remember my name right now..

If anyone in the Theydon Bois area see's my brain, we're sure thats where it was last seen..

Thanks to everyone involved.. It was a real blast! And Geoff and Neil.. you're superstars for organising this!!
garda
Zone 2

Post by garda »

Ok, I wake up at noon. Was I dreaming about be in London on the tube wih 60+ new friends for 20 hours. I sit up and have a headache, ache in my legs, back and head. No, it wasnt a dream is is REAL! God, I had the best time ever. Who would think riding on the underground, runing up and down stairs, in the street would be FUN and CHALLENGING! Putting a face to a name was fun and I appreciate all the support and friendship ya'll have shown! I would definitely come again to join all of you. Now I think I deserve that beer I have been waiting for! That journey with ya'll beats and police work I ever did! And I did alot!!! Thanks.
juggler
Zone 2

Well

Post by juggler »

I've just slept for twelve hours and now I'm awake I can't stop thinking about the stations at the end of each line - what does that mean??? I think yesterday finally pushed me over the edge :P

The whole thing was a profound experience - I can't quite place my feelings about it yet. Amazing!

I really have to thank my teammates - we may not have been the fastest (or the most complete!) but we really gave it our best shot and had a great time doing it - big up to all of you!

See you all Saturday!

Pete aka Juggler

PS Why do I always have a stupid expression on my face every time I'm photographed??
----------------------------------------------------
In letters of gold on a snow-white kite, I will write "I love you!"
And send it soaring high above you, for all to read!

RIP Billy McK 1957-1997
Alansslonep
Zone 1

Post by Alansslonep »

Just a quick note to say hello to everyone who took part yesterday, especially my colleagues in "Team Billy".

Had a great day, with lots of ups and downs caused by a severe lack of sleep the night before. We got each other through it though, and Pete proved to have what could well be a winning route in the future. Although your'e not going to do it again, are you Pete?. :D

It was bizzare bumping into other teams on the way round, when you look at how big the system is. The best thing though was the camaraderie and the team spirit shown. On behalf of my team, I would like to say thank you to the support team, even though we were only with them for about two minutes as we were running behind schedule.

I won't be at the pub on Saturday unfortunately, so all have one on me.

Will I do it again - not sure. Will I remember yesterday for ever - you bet. :D :D :D
barrykas
Zone 4

Post by barrykas »

Only team we bumped into was Chris and Andrew (rather ironic given they live near me) on the District Line heading out to Upminster at the end of the run.

Worst Delay (Self-Inflicted): 40 minutes at Embankment, after taking a break for food, when a couple of our team decided to go back for seconds :x

Worst Delay (LU inflicted): Central Line due to signal failure between Mile End and Stratford. Sat at South Woodford for around 20 to 30 minutes. (Didn't get the actual time, alas, so I can't make a Customer Charter claim :lol: )

Best Connection (LU): Brixton, cross-platform between Victoria Line trains.

Best Connection (Other): West Ruislip to Uxbridge. The lesser spotted U1 came along within moments of our arrival.

Worst Moment: Exiting Upminster Station to discover that the "24 hour" cab office was closed. Fortunately, however, a black cab eventually turned up...

Full report later.

Cheers,

Barry
--
Barry Salter, barry (at) southie (dot) me (dot) uk
Fimb
Zone 2

Post by Fimb »

Did our cab not come back to you at Upminster? I gave him a £5 tip on the understanding he would!

Apparently, ALL their cabs had been called out to Walthamstow dogs on long runs..
jonny
Zone 6

Post by jonny »

Hi
I must thank PFW for letting me tag on to him -- It was SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO fun.

I got about 3 hours sleep the night before and about 5 hours last night because I had to be out of the hotel by 11 :( .

Great Day, thanks Geoff and Neil for organising it!
tubeguru
Site Administrator

Post by tubeguru »

It's a pleasure but I can't take as much of the credit as Geoff for the day itself since he did most of the organising along with John (Statto).

I CAN, however, take all of the credit for tomorrow night in the pub as I arranged that one :-)
One thing only do I know, and that is that I know nothing - Socrates.

Champion of bugger all, 2004 to 2022
Member of sweet FA
jonny
Zone 6

Post by jonny »

well whatever then.
thanks to whoever arranged all the different 'bits' of the event.

I have had a route for a while that doesn't quite make it around the system but if you had a whole day worth of perfect changes you could just get to upminster on the last train. I decided it wasn't worth the try as the chances of it managing were ridiculous but yesterday has made me decide to try it out, even if I do only get around 200 stations! I did have what I thought was a quite good route before until I found complications that I didn't realise were problems!
barrykas
Zone 4

Post by barrykas »

Fimb wrote:Did our cab not come back to you at Upminster? I gave him a £5 tip on the understanding he would!
Those of us heading to Barking ended up in a couple of black cabs, with a metered fare of around £30, so £10 each.

Cheers,

Barry
--
Barry Salter, barry (at) southie (dot) me (dot) uk
CrunchySaviour
All Zones

Post by CrunchySaviour »

Hello, everybody!

I've just returned from my holiday to find that the Challenge appears to have been an incredible success and that I missed about ten times as much fun as I thought I would (and I was pretty disappointed to be missing it in the first place!).

Never mind though - I would like to give you all a big "Well Done." and announce that I will probably be meeting up with Adham (and as many other people as possible who missed this monumental event) to undertake the very same Challenge at some point next month.

I look forward to reading all the newspaper cuttings that everyone's saved and scanned in (you have, right?!) and watching all the news stories about it...
~ Let loose the bands of war! DISINTEGRATOR.co.uk
matthewf
Zone 1

Post by matthewf »

Norm and I bumped into 4 teams on the way round:

Jon and Jenni out at Woodford on the Central Line,
Geoff and his team at Edgeware Road,
Sam and her team out at West Ruislip,
Richard waiting for a bus at Oakwood.

Odd moment: Getting to Finchley Central waiting for a Mill Hill East train and discovering TWO on the display board in addition to a High Barnet train with times of "1m" and "2m". Confusion abounded as a train was terminated in Platform 1 (the normal MHE platform) and then a Mill Hill East train came to Platform 2. "Yes this is a Mill Hill East train" said the driver as everyone turfed off and we got on about 11pm. We wonder if this was due to David Scard's Mill Hill East train earlier! :)

Worst Moment: Arriving at Walthamstowe Central at 7 minutes past midnight only to discover we had missed the last Victoria Line train back into town and we were stranded. Result, we had to abort and take a mini cab to Mile End to pick the District Line up and meet you all at the end.

We got delayed on the Central line for 13 minutes at White City due to a defective train at Holland Park and then the Jubilee Line was painfully slow up to Stanmore where the train back to Canon's Park was enticingly in the platform doors open - so we prepared to run the 12 feet or so to it. Just as the driver on our train opened the doors and as we ran over the platform the doors on the returning train closed and we didn't make it. :(

We also missed a train to Richmond by seconds having taken a toilet break at Hammersmith.

Fantastic Day though and it looks we actually did 260 stations as I had failed to count Walthamstowe Central.
G Force
Zone 3

Post by G Force »

Where's Kevin?
tubeguru
Site Administrator

Post by tubeguru »

No idea.
One thing only do I know, and that is that I know nothing - Socrates.

Champion of bugger all, 2004 to 2022
Member of sweet FA