World Record Attempts During Tube Relief

For discussion of Tube Relief 2005 (NOW CLOSED)
tubeguru
Site Administrator

World Record Attempts During Tube Relief

Post by tubeguru »

I was chatting to somebody last night and it occured to us that should the entire tube be re-opened in time for Tube Relief, then some people may treat it as a world record attempt.

Of course, this depends on what damage there is to the tunnel at Russell Square but IF the Piccadilly line is running at the time then I personally think that world record attempts should be discouraged.

There are two reason why I'm personally against such a thing happening.

First, it will involve people running through stations. If there are still lots of police about at certain stations then it's going to excite suspicion.

Secondly, it will be disheartening for those of us doing this for charity if some muppets decide to try for a world record when that is NOT the idea of this day.

And it has nothing to do with Geoff and myself worried that you'll take our world record - you've had over a year and you still can't do it :-)

I think most people will be in agreement with what I've said here if the whole network finds itself up and running at the time of the event.
One thing only do I know, and that is that I know nothing - Socrates.

Champion of bugger all, 2004 to 2022
Member of sweet FA
petermiller36
Zone 4

Post by petermiller36 »

here here! Totally agree!
joy54
Zone 5

Post by joy54 »

You would say that wouldn't you Neil.
Nutteronabus
Zone 5

Post by Nutteronabus »

I'd agree anyway, but a world record attempt still seems a bit pointless to me.

Even though it's looking increasingly likely that the Picadilly will re-open in time, there's still the issue of station closures due to security alerts.

If I'm being brutally honest, given the frequency they're occuring at, I'd be quite surprised if ANYBODY manages to do the whole lot!
tubeguru
Site Administrator

Post by tubeguru »

joy54 wrote:You would say that wouldn't you Neil.
As I said, you've all had over a year and I don't see anyone going faster so why should I suddenly get worried NOW that you'll beat us?

It was Moley who brought it to my attention and I agree with him that the idea of the day is not to get a world record (if the Piccadilly somehow opens by then).

Member of sweet FA
James_#510
Zone 2

Post by James_#510 »

For this event aren't we supposed to ignore Terminal 4? This would invalidate any record attempt anyway.
<a href="http://www.geofftech.co.uk/tube/sillyma ... g">Creator of the toilet map</a> New version coming soon!
tubeguru
Site Administrator

Post by tubeguru »

The people who are doing this for CHARITY would miss out H4 but anyone who runs off for a sneaky world record attempt WOULD go to H4 by bus.

Hopefully the Piccadilly line will still be off so it won't matter.

Member of sweet FA
moley
Site Administrator

Post by moley »

Two further points:

1) Guiness may not actually authorise any record done at the moment and you don't have time to find out.

2) We are WALKING through stations. If groups - even 2s or 3s start running at high speed people will get panicy - the day is not aimed at frightening more of london's commuters.
Tube Forum administrator. I look after the database to keep this place running smoothly.
garda
Zone 2

record

Post by garda »

if we give records out then I KNOW I will get one for being last! LOL. Seriously, I hope we can get everyone together for a photo op so I can put ya'll on my desk at work!
zeibura
Zone 5

Post by zeibura »

i agree - even if the picc line does get fixed, theres no chance of anyone breaking a record without getting shot.

and im not just saying that because i want to do the whole system this time, im genuinely worried about what happened at stockwell, and have been boycotting london recently when possible. nevertheless im still up for it but we should save our world record attempt till october/december...
Ukončete, prosíme, vystup a nastup, dveře se zavirají
James_#510
Zone 2

Post by James_#510 »

Does anyone know of anywhere on the internet where the timetables that are at Underground stations are available?

http://map.tfl.gov.uk seems to be out of date as they suggest the first amersham train is 0532 not 0528.

Thanks
<a href="http://www.geofftech.co.uk/tube/sillyma ... g">Creator of the toilet map</a> New version coming soon!
Nutteronabus
Zone 5

Post by Nutteronabus »

tubeguru
Site Administrator

Post by tubeguru »

And that's the only all-day timetable you'll find for the tube on the internet.

All the others are officially only available to LU staff in book format.

Member of sweet FA
Nutteronabus
Zone 5

Post by Nutteronabus »

Ahhhhh.

Is that so that they can claim the service isn't running late, and you don;t have a leg to stand on in an argument?
tubeguru
Site Administrator

Post by tubeguru »

Yes.

Unless you produce a working timetable, at which point they ask you where you got it and look at you funny.

You can't beat LU :-)

Member of sweet FA