"NOT AFRAID" - Tube Relief 2005

For discussion of Tube Relief 2005 (NOW CLOSED)
Nutteronabus
Zone 5

Post by Nutteronabus »

I agree- Amersham sounds good.

As far as I know, there's a replacement bus service between Arnos Grove and Seven Sisters.

I may have dreamed that one up, though..
geofftech
All Zones

Post by geofftech »

Who mentioned finishing at Cockfosters? I think having a mass-start at Amersham will be very good in terms of morale, and a reminder as to why we're doing it.

I could be tempted to end at Heathrow ... means we can have fun with the irregular off-peak C2C services again! Senji - there are other ways of getting to Heathrow after the Piccadilly has closed. Do the coaches to Cambridge run all night?

And if Hyde Park to to Arnos Grove is still out of action (likely) then it does actually post a problem : HOW to do the Cockfosters - Arnos Grove section!

Either a bus, or doubling back is required .. and I can't decide if that's going to add time or slow is down.

I can almost hear Joy54 plotting a route on his bus map from here.. ;-)
Last edited by Anonymous on 11 Jul 2005, 14:31, edited 1 time in total.
Nutteronabus
Zone 5

Post by Nutteronabus »

Well, if my suspicions are right and there IS a bus running between Arnos Grove and Seven Sisters, it shouldn't be too difficult..

At least, I wouldn't have thought so..
geofftech
All Zones

Post by geofftech »

Damn you F5-C! I was just about to say that (having just looked it up).

A bus connection to Seven Sisters putting you on the Victoria would be the most obvious thing.

How about HPC though? Either a double back there, or an interesting run/walk connection to another station. I know it's not PC to say this, but it is actually quite interesting planning a route with a significant part of the map out of action!

I'm also assuming the all the H&C/Circle/Met will be back in action by this time, and it's just the Piccadilly partial closure that we've got to contend with.
joy54
Zone 5

Post by joy54 »

Is the Piccadilly definatly going to be out when we attempt this?
Nutteronabus
Zone 5

Post by Nutteronabus »

Thing is, at the press conference a couple of days ago, Tim O'Toole stated that there wasn't much damage to the tunnel on the picadilly, which could mean it'll be re-opened by then.

Though it's sods law that it'll suddenly re-open without warning on the morning of the challenge, isn't it?
Senji
Zone 3

Post by Senji »

Though it's sods law that it'll suddenly re-open without warning on the morning of the challenge, isn't it?
Well, if it does then we pull out our alternative routes...
James_#510
Zone 2

Post by James_#510 »

3 ideas:

1- I think we should postpone this until the network is back to normal, and if we're lucky that will be by the xxth.

2- Being a fan of Geoff's TV programmes I think a start either at Heathrow T4 or Chesham would be best. My personal route starts at Upminster, which could be a good start point too. Any others?

3- This is the crazy one. Why don't we elect someone to plan a route and ALL follow it as a group for the whole day?

Let me know......
Nutteronabus
Zone 5

Post by Nutteronabus »

Anybody who has to put up with me for 20 hours needs to have sheer determination.
James_#510
Zone 2

Post by James_#510 »

geofftech wrote:Damn you F5-C! I was just about to say that (having just looked it up).

A bus connection to Seven Sisters putting you on the Victoria would be the most obvious thing.
According to this: http://www.tfl.gov.uk/tfl/press-centre/ ... p?prID=421 there is also a connection to Finchley Central, home of a terrible song and the Northern Line. This would allow a little circle around the top of the Piccadilly line and the High Barnet branch.
jonny
Zone 6

T-shirts

Post by jonny »

I know this is against the run of conversation, but how much will t-shirts cost?
Now I've got to spend time planning a route, that WILL be hard.
CrunchySaviour
All Zones

Post by CrunchySaviour »

I shan't be back until the 28th due to a family holiday.

If I have to retake an exam, however, I might not go on that holiday in the first place....

...but I'd rather not retake any exams. I'll be attempting the full challenge in September.

Have fun, everybody!
~ Let loose the bands of war! DISINTEGRATOR.co.uk
tpfkar
Zone 4

Post by tpfkar »

Hello everyone.

It would be wrong to talk about logistics without a moment to think of the reason for all this.......global issues have hit us at home when many of us tried to believe that we were immune....are WE doing our part to promote peace, tolerance, and standing up for what we believe to be true? My thoughts and prayers right now are with the families who are still waiting for news, this must be agony for them, there is one such family at my church, please remember them if you pray.

As for a challenge day, I'm up for it. I personally start at Chesham at 6:24, as I can get there by taking the 5:21 from Baker Street, so I don't have to do an overnight stay </routereveal>
I wonder if it might be best to meet together the previous evening as a show of solidarity, and have a single finishing point (Upminster?) , so we can arrange transport back into town. However if there's a mass start at Amersham I'm up for it, and I imagine that routes would be pretty similar for the first couple of hours.

As for Terminal 4, I think we should do it. And if there are continued line closures, we'll just work around them as best we can, in keeping with our response to these atrocities.

Dates: Well I have a new job!!! Working for my church in Clapham. However I'll be away for the second half of August (*possibly* back 30th/31st) so the start of september would be best for me. friday is my day off, so that would be best, but with a bit of notice I could swap it for a thursday. (Definitely not Sunday/Monday though)

If the whole network is back to speed, will there be someone at the start and end to time for World Record purposes? Probably would need a simultaneous start at Amersham and everyone agreeing a finish station. (and a willing volunteer or two!)

I hope this all works, it would not only be a great way to do the tube challenge, but also a fitting way to show a defiant response to what has happened.

bring it on!
G Force
Zone 3

Post by G Force »

I think this is a good idea to raise money for a good cause.

Not too sure if I will be able to get time off work though. If I can, then I will definately be up for it, if not, then it will be in route planning and "point man" capacity only. I won't try obstructing doors with my foot this time Geoff!

I think the affected section of the Piccadilly will be down for some time, making alternative routes necessary between Arnos Grove and somewhere on the Victoria Line. It's obviously not going to be a full 274 challenge, as some stations and parts of lines will still be closed, but that just makes it more challenging.

It would be good for everyone to start at the same point, although whether this would be possible is another matter.
PFW
Zone 3

Post by PFW »

No wishing to kill the conversation, but can we set a deadline for deciding what we are doing? This will enable the hard core planning to proceed and sort out any annual leave etc. For the sake of argument, all submission made by Midnight on Wednesday 13th July, with the final decision released by Midnight 14th July? I nominate Geoff as the final arbiter since it was his idea and we all worship the rails he travels on.

For the record, my preference is start at Amersham, finish at Upminster (as this is the route used by the last 2 quickets times) miss out T4. And a date of
Last edited by PFW on 18 Jul 2005, 19:05, edited 1 time in total.