"NOT AFRAID" - Tube Relief 2005

For discussion of Tube Relief 2005 (NOW CLOSED)
jonny
Zone 6

Post by jonny »

I would suggest, to keep from arguing and so that everyone knows what is happening, all entrants must send an email to whoever we nominate as the 'person in charge' with their name and the dates that they are available, and that 'person in charge' then sorts out a suitable date to fit in with as many people as possible. He then writes the rules (can I suggest that it is a 'do as many stations as you can in the time' job as with tunnel closures it is likely that the unexperienced of us [e.g. me, etc.] will have difficulty planning a route that actually fits into the time the tube is open). All decisions on things like should we do T4 are made at his discretion and for any points that aren't raised before the deadline of rules, etc. we should assume that normal tube challenge rules apply. The 'man in charge' can change his decisions after the deadline if all entrants agree. A full list of rules is sent out to all entrants the day after the deadline.
Another way of doing it would be to have a 'panel' to sort out the rules but that would just be complicated.
PFW
Zone 3

Post by PFW »

All that sounds good to me. I (again) nominate Geoff as The Man In Charge
James_#510
Zone 2

Post by James_#510 »

I second the nomination for Geoff. However, I think a mass start at Amersham, and a route that includes T4 but ignores the Piccadilly north of Arnos Grove if Hyde Park Corner to Arnos Grove is still closed, would be best, and allow a 'full' attempt. The xxth of August works for me.
feel_me_quick
Zone 1

Post by feel_me_quick »

Yes Geoff should be the head!!! xxth August is good enough for me 2!!! I do like the idea mabe of everyone going round together, we could carry money buckets and get people on the trains and buses and streets etc to make donations to the fund!!! Then to limit weight that we have to carry have some sort of support crew meeting us at certain points to off load some of the money etc, does anyone think that is viable???
G Force
Zone 3

Post by G Force »

It should include the stations between Cockfosters and Arnos Grove, as it is the ALL (open) stations challenge after all.

I nominate TubeGuru :wink:
Nutteronabus
Zone 5

Post by Nutteronabus »

I think it's pretty obvious that everyone's going to nominate Geoff and/or Neil.
the_tube_boy
Zone 1

Post by the_tube_boy »

I nominate Geoff & go for the xxth august
geofftech
All Zones

Post by geofftech »

"I nominate Geoff as the final arbiter since it was his idea and we all worship the rails he travels on."
Steady on Paul! ;-)

Well it was my idea wasn't it! Doesn't that sort of automatically make me the-man-in-charge anyway? </PIOUS>

Ok, to recap folks (becuase some of you wrote questioning things that I'd already laid out in the first post).

i. This is NOT a record attempt. (No door holding needed G-Force, no time keepers needed Ric!) It is indeed a show of solidarity that we're still prepared to do this in spite of what's happened.

ii. It's a charity gig. Raise some DOSH people!

iii. A mass start (Amersham likely) is a must. A show of unity from the off, and thus a sociable evening the night before is also a must!

Tomorrow night is an excellent cut-off deadline for deciding when to do it, although the xxth of August is now looking likely, isn't it?

It is unfortunate that not everyone will be able to make this date - but not everyone WILL be able to make whatever date is finally chosen. Which is crap, I know, but surely the fairest way to do it is to pick the date that the majority can make.

I will get some of the wheels in motion properly on this one tomorrow now. It would be nice to have LU/Ken's backing, and a splash in the Evening Standard, etc...

All we need now is a catchy name than encompasses the motive of it all.

Prayers for tpfkar's church friends, as indeed everyone.
Nutteronabus
Zone 5

Post by Nutteronabus »

If you're after a catchy name, then I originally thought up The Challenge Against Terrorism.

Which is crap and corny, but it pretty much sums up what it is.
garda
Zone 2

interested from USA

Post by garda »

I'd like to participate if I can. I am in the USA and would need to see if I could get airfare and such on short notice but I would love to do it for charity. Geoff, you may remember me from the IPOD 50p contributor. I am the cop from the states. I just finished the Barking book and loved it. I love the blogs and websites ya'll have. It is the closest I can get to my underground fix! Thanks
jonny
Zone 6

Post by jonny »

I vote for Geoff too,
I think its obvious that Geoff's going to be in charge so I think we should all email him - does that sound a good idea?
juice-rail
Zone 1

Post by juice-rail »

Yeah I also vote for Geoff. Im well up for this one its for such a worthy cause.

But erm, Geoff says 274 but if the picc for example may still be partialy shut in August, obviously it would be less stations than that. I imagine this has all ready been mentioned but I havnt yet read all the posts, just putting in that im up for it.

Im more than willing to run with somebody if there is anybody who's fearing the thought of going solo as everybody starts to go their own routes.

I also agree with going on a Thursday!
guess who has driven a piccadilly;-)
tubeguru
Site Administrator

Post by tubeguru »

Right Geoff - it looks like you've got the gig.

(Just make sure you run it past me too - I like to be kept informed :D)

On a separate note - Geoff is going to set up a separate page on his website for this thing. A similar thing may appear here but how many people are going to crawl out of the woodwork and want to take part in this thing?

How many people are we looking at? 20? 30? 50?!

Do we want to keep this amongst ourselves until after it's done. After all, LU might not go for this if they find out - especially in the current climate :roll:

Your thoughts people?
tubeguru
Site Administrator

Post by tubeguru »

I've made this topic sticky for the foreseeable future. It will always be at the top of this section.
juice-rail
Zone 1

Post by juice-rail »

I see your valid point there.

Bearing in mind LUL are never too pleased about us charging around the tube as it is.
As its for charity it would normaly make sense to publicise it.
But I doubt LUL would be very keen.

Hey there could be a way round this tho, it could be publicised beforehand, but simply dont say that were gonna run/rush. Afterall, it seems like its just the running around the stations that they dont like. Or is that still too risky?

If we could somehow raise cash during the run itself, that would be good. Tho I doubt many of us would wanna drag coins about LOL

A standard T shirt design maybe? with details of the charity and what were doing on the front?
guess who has driven a piccadilly;-)