"NOT AFRAID" - Tube Relief 2005

For discussion of Tube Relief 2005 (NOW CLOSED)
Nutteronabus
Zone 5

Post by Nutteronabus »

The issue with September is that alot of the students become instantly ruled out.

Normally, this might make a group challenge that tiny bit easier and less crowded. But this time, it's more about the sponsorship than breaking the record.

I would personally suggest doing it in August, purely because I'm sure the total raised would be higher.

That, and I might not be able to get time off in September..
the_tube_boy
Zone 1

Post by the_tube_boy »

i will have to go for a tuesday or thursday as i work every other day of the week. and preferably after the 14th. altho im sure i could get time off if we agree a date soon.
James_#510
Zone 2

Post by James_#510 »

I took my team down to Heathrow to try out the new bus service. The bus is usually quite empty, and takes 4 minutes each way. The only bad thing is the bus unloads at departures, so you have to go through the terminal to arrivals and out to the bus stops there to get back into town. From Hatton Cross the whole thing takes about 9 minutes.
Yorkie
Zone 3

Post by Yorkie »

Sorry guys, I'm away all August, I'll donate something or other though.
What would I know? - I'm from Yorkshire for starters...
Senji
Zone 3

Post by Senji »

Geoff: If I remember correctly the first train of the morning leaves from Hammersmith (H&C); which if we're not planning on making record attempts would give a bit longer to get around all the stations. Of course, this would need a rather different looking route!

Oh, for a timetable book for the whole tube...
kizzers
Zone 1

Post by kizzers »

James_#510 wrote:I took my team down to Heathrow to try out the new bus service. The bus is usually quite empty, and takes 4 minutes each way. The only bad thing is the bus unloads at departures, so you have to go through the terminal to arrivals and out to the bus stops there to get back into town. From Hatton Cross the whole thing takes about 9 minutes.
Why not start there (T4)?
jonny
Zone 6

I'm in

Post by jonny »

Hi,
I was already planning to do a real challenge attempt on either of the xxth/xxth August so I would be happy to replace it with this. I will be free to do it on any weekday from Tuesday 9th - Friday 12th Aug; Tuesday 16th - Friday 19th Aug; Monday 22nd Aug - Thursday 1st September.
Unfortunately I go to school so anytime after September 1st I will not be able to participate.
Thanks anyway
Jonny
Senji
Zone 3

Post by Senji »

Why not start there (T4)?
Bus out to Hatton Cross, reverse to T123 and then head up the Piccadilly? Hmm...

That looks like a 4:50ish start to me.
Senji
Zone 3

Post by Senji »

The work calendar doesn't have anything scary on it at the moment, so I guess I'm free all month.

Preferably not 3-9th Aug (as my other technical coworker is on holiday then) and I'd prefer a Thur to a Fri, but otherwise I'm clear, I think.
Senji
Zone 3

Post by Senji »

Oh, dear, three posts in a row.

Anyway, just looking at Heathrow, if you wanted to start at that end of the map it looks to me as if starting at Hatton Cross at about 05:14, then using the free Heathrow Express inter-terminal service to get from T123 to T4 would be the bet bet.
geofftech
All Zones

Post by geofftech »

Ok, so that xx/yyth August days is still looking most likely. I know it's a pain that it will not be suitable for everyone, but it's only fair that we go with a date that most people can do.

I'm still waiting to hear back from Anthony. Mask Man! Email me back please ..

senj - First Hammersmith leaves at 04.40 according to the WTT I have .. :-)

Trouble is, they don't connect up with anything useful! Not even the ones that turn into Circle Line trains. So i'm still thinking 'Amersham' to start.

You could always end at Heathrow instead .. !?

Will still wait a bit longer today to see who else comes back today, and will start putting some phonecalls into people tonight.
Last edited by Anonymous on 18 Jul 2005, 18:37, edited 1 time in total.
Senji
Zone 3

Post by Senji »

End at Heathrow makes it easy for me to get home -- coaches run to Cambridge at all hours...
moley
Site Administrator

Post by moley »

Ending at Heathrow is problematic because I think the last bus from T4 from Hatton Cross or vice versa is at approximately the same time as the last train used to be - i.e just past 11pm.

We could do a 'How many statons can you do - starting at Amersham and ending at Heathrow' as a alternative as it now looks unlikely that the Picc will reopen in time leaving at least 6 stations out of action access wise I would have thought.
joy54
Zone 5

Post by joy54 »

I think Amersham is best to start as everyone will be with each other for at least a couple of hours and it means we won't have to finish up there which can be bad as they don't run that late to Amersham compared to other lines on the the network.
Senji
Zone 3

Post by Senji »

Journey Planner says more like "just after midnight", but that's still possibly cutting it close.

If the Picc is still in a mess then the Cockfosters end is going to be a bit of a pain...