"NOT AFRAID" - Tube Relief 2005

For discussion of Tube Relief 2005 (NOW CLOSED)
Nutteronabus
Zone 5

Post by Nutteronabus »

Were these strangers of the hot, young, attractive and single girl variety?

Or were the pensioners?

Alas, I suspect the latter..
Fimb
Zone 2

Post by Fimb »

*laughing*

That is bizarrely the exact question my husband had for me when I got in!
Alansslonep
Zone 1

word of warning

Post by Alansslonep »

Hi everybody, I'm taking part in the challenge next week. I also work on the District Line, and there are a couple of things you might need to know when planning your route.

First, there is an ongoing industrial dispute involving District line drivers. Over the last 7 days, this has resulted in the cancellation at certain times of one of the trains on the Olympia branch, leaving a frequency of every 30 minutes. THERE IS EVERY CHANCE THIS WILL HAPPEN NEXT THURSDAY. If so, it generally happens after the morning peak, and trains will run at 08 & 38 minutes past the hour. It can continue throught he evening peak also. The dispute can also affect trains to Richmond, causing cancellations.

Secondly, train 71 (an Edgware Road - Wimbledon train) is often cancelled for staff training. When I'm back at work later this week I will look up the times that it may not be running.
geofftech
All Zones

Post by geofftech »

Alan...

hello! er, who are you then? send me an email please (geoff@geofftech.co.uk) so that i know who you are on my list of official participants!

if you haven't emailed me, then you're not on my list, and you won't have recieved a few emails that i've sent out to the official participants lists over the last week and a bit...

Thanks,
Geoff.
Alansslonep
Zone 1

it is I...

Post by Alansslonep »

the man from Cannon Hill Lane, I've cunningly mixed my name with a user name to fool you.

Oh yeah, don't forget my lift home.

geofftech wrote:Alan...

hello! er, who are you then? send me an email please (geoff@geofftech.co.uk) so that i know who you are on my list of official participants!

if you haven't emailed me, then you're not on my list, and you won't have recieved a few emails that i've sent out to the official participants lists over the last week and a bit...

Thanks,
Geoff.
geofftech
All Zones

Post by geofftech »

ah! that makes sense.

i didn't realise you worked for LU !
Alansslonep
Zone 1

Post by Alansslonep »

I work at the station with the big glass roof, keeping my beady eyes on all those passing through. :shock: :D
Senji
Zone 3

Re: word of warning

Post by Senji »

Alansslonep wrote:First, there is an ongoing industrial dispute involving District line drivers. Over the last 7 days, this has resulted in the cancellation at certain times of one of the trains on the Olympia branch, leaving a frequency of every 30 minutes. THERE IS EVERY CHANCE THIS WILL HAPPEN NEXT THURSDAY. If so, it generally happens after the morning peak, and trains will run at 08 & 38 minutes past the hour. It can continue throught he evening peak also. The dispute can also affect trains to Richmond, causing cancellations.
Two questions -- is that 08 and 38 from Olympia, and when does the "morning peak" finish? (I think my route is OK anyway, but...)
Alansslonep
Zone 1

Post by Alansslonep »

The times shown are when they pass through Earl's Court. I'm back at work this afternoon so I will answer your other question then - I'll see if I can post a summary of the full timetable. Also, if you are at Earl's Court waiting to go down to Wimbledon and trains arrive on both Platforms 3 & 4, more often than not the train on platform 3 will get to West Brompton first. This is because there are more likely to be running late.
Senji
Zone 3

Post by Senji »

Hmm, if my projected Olympia train isn't one of the Morning Peak ones then, I think that's going to be another reason to pick up 10 minutes before that point (something I was already hoping to do somewhere before I got to the Epping end of the Universe).

Hmm, I wonder where/if I can shave 10 minutes off -- beyond walking fairly briskly on the walks I already have on the route...
Alansslonep
Zone 1

Post by Alansslonep »

The morning peak for the Olympia bracnh ends at 1020 - thats when one train retruns to depot and is replaced by another. If there is no driver available for the 1020 it will be cancelled, hence the trains then being at 08 & 39, slight change from what I posted yesterday A full Olympia timetable to come - i've sent it to Geoff so that he can post a link to it.

Also, the following stations will be closed next Thursday, at/after the times shown.

Ruislip Manor westbound - all day
Eastcote - after 2100
Hounslow Central - after 2200.
Senji
Zone 3

Post by Senji »

Ahh, good good. I'm expecting to get to Olympia before that, so that should be OK for me. Might well bite a lot of people though....
Nutteronabus
Zone 5

Post by Nutteronabus »

Bloody Ruislip Manor!

Had to be awkward, didn't it?
Senji
Zone 3

Post by Senji »

Fortunately, unless you're planning on alighting or boarding a train there, a pass-through is sufficient (c.f. Queensway)
Nutteronabus
Zone 5

Post by Nutteronabus »

Actually, if you're going Westbound through Ruislip Manor, does it qualify as a pass-through?

Or do you have to double back cos it's open the other way?